+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If you lose your passport after PPR granted...

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Anybody know if there is a remedy for this? Like if you go abroad following PPR and your passport is lost or stolen? Are you able to get a new passport and then touch down in canada with the new PP and CoPR?

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thats a unique case but i ll say that raise a CSE with details of new passport and also send a mail to your local visa office. I believe that you cannt land with your new passport in Canada until CIC have the records of the new passport and only way to inform CIC and get PPR on this new passport is to contact them !

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Seems reasonable. I got aor in Feb 2017 (FSW outland) and am going traveling to South East Asia for 3.5 months at the start of October. This leaves a little time once I return home to sort out my life and then get to Canada by early Feb when, based on my medical expiry, I assume my visa (should it be grabted) would expire. Wondering about the risks of traveling as I wouldn't want to lose my pr if I had a passport disaster. If I managed to get my CoPR by september then I wonder if I should fly to Canada for a weekend to activate my PR then return my card to a safe place, would I then have less stress if my passport later needed to be replaced?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Losing a passport is a remote possibility, but in your place I'd fly in for a weekend and make a landing. If it's not super expensive to fly in (London isn't that far), you'll get a nice weekend out of it and more peace of mind.

Now that you have thought about losing your passport, you're going to spend 3 months in SE Asia worrying about it! Might as well get it sorted

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
I think you're right, Goose. Question then is - will I have my card by early September... hmm. Is it the case then that passport replacement is not a problem once PR is activated? Do cic just issue a new card once they've had sight of the new PP?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I think it's quite likely you'll have your card by September, unless there are unforseen delays. You're on track to have your PPR by June/July, and then add in another 60 days for the card.. you should be fine.

To your second question - I'm not an expert in Canadian immigration law, so I'll defer to anyone who knows this for a fact, but I do know that in the US, the Green Card is independent of your passport - you don't need to get a new green card if you get a new passport. I'd imagine that once you have a Canadian PR, changing passports shouldn't be too hard.

Pijus

May 5, 2018
Hi All,

Has this situation been resolved.i am currently in the same boat where fedex lost our passport in transit after it was stamped and sent by cic. The package contained passports and the copr. What can be done in this case. Can’t believethis happening so close to the finish line. Please please someone help!!

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
My understanding is that your COPR/Landed PR status is passport independent. Passports are lost every day all over the world and the CIC have other means to identify and verify you.

The problem comes if your passport has a Canadian visa in it. If you need a visa to travel for landing then you would need a new one. If you're visa exempt then an eTA or PRTD will be enough, depending on whether or not you're a landed immigrant yet.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi All,

Has this situation been resolved.i am currently in the same boat where fedex lost our passport in transit after it was stamped and sent by cic. The package contained passports and the copr. What can be done in this case. Can’t believethis happening so close to the finish line. Please please someone help!!
Follow the process for lost passports in your country and write to CIC to request for restamping. They will also have to receive proof of the police reports for lost passports.

My understanding is that your COPR/Landed PR status is passport independent. Passports are lost every day all over the world and the CIC have other means to identify and verify you.

The problem comes if your passport has a Canadian visa in it. If you need a visa to travel for landing then you would need a new one. If you're visa exempt then an eTA or PRTD will be enough, depending on whether or not you're a landed immigrant yet.
If they submitted their passports, pretty sure it implies they needed visas.

qwertyzz123

Apr 29, 2023
Hi All,

DId you find a solution for this? Please help me. Fedex lost my passport and copr document as well