+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"If You Are A Student" on checklist IMM 5556

marrynated

Star Member
Dec 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hold a study permit that expires in the end of April this year 2017. My wife is sponsoring me for PR. I am including an application for Open Work Permit too.

I will not be able to finish my degree by April, and I have not registered for terms at the university because of financial problems. I talked with an advisor at the international office of the university and they said I should proceed with PR application and once I am PR come back to university to finish.

On the checklist for OWP, there is a checkmark: "If You Are A Student" IMM 5556, and it says include proof of academic standing from registrar of university.

What should I do? Leave that checkmark blank?

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marrynated said:
I hold a study permit that expires in the end of April this year 2017. My wife is sponsoring me for PR. I am including an application for Open Work Permit too.

I will not be able to finish my degree by April, and I have not registered for terms at the university because of financial problems. I talked with an advisor at the international office of the university and they said I should proceed with PR application and once I am PR come back to university to finish.

On the checklist for OWP, there is a checkmark: "If You Are A Student" IMM 5556, and it says include proof of academic standing from registrar of university.

Unless you can provide an enrollment letter and a transcript, do not mention you are a student currently.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
marrynated said:

So you aren't actively studying at the moment? Then ya, you aren't a student. So, do you have other status documents aside from the student visa? Otherwise they will cancel your permit. I think you'd need to use this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-student.asp

Reason I say this, is you won't qualify for the OWP if you are out of status.

bajanqueen

Star Member
Jan 26, 2017
marrynated said:

Hi there I understand what you are saying I am doing the same thing right now as well. Only difference is my application for sponsorship has already been submitted in January. My study permit will expire in June but my program finishes in September. What I am doing is send an accompanying letter explaining the reason for change of status. You may also get your student adviser to write a letter acknowledging your study break and that you will resume school at a later date.

marrynated

Star Member
Dec 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Aquakitty: I do not have other status. Am I out of status? I still hold study permit, and is valid till end of April!

Here is the situation, I was enrolled at university doing my masters. I finished all my courses and just writing my thesis remained. It was in 2015. I had some personal issues and depression and hence didn't focus to finish my masters. I extended my program and then applied for extension of study permit. My study permit got renewed till April 2017.

But my depression and financial issues still remained. In the meantime, I was being supported financially by my family back in my home country. I found a very casual work too.

It was in mid 2016 that I started to 'wake up' and end my depression and shape my life. Little by little, I improved. I found love of my life, committed to a marriage with her and we're happy. I have started to feel alive again, and want to build up.

The thing is because of being out of university for 3 terms, university now requires me to be readmitted to finish my thesis! And for that I need a valid study permit for May 2017, but it expires in end of April. And for extension of my study permit, I need a letter from university !!! It's a loop.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
marrynated said:
@Aquakitty: I do not have other status. Am I out of status? I still hold study permit, and is valid till end of April!

Here is the situation, I was enrolled at university doing my masters. I finished all my courses and just writing my thesis remained. It was in 2015. I had some personal issues and depression and hence didn't focus to finish my masters. I extended my program and then applied for extension of study permit. My study permit got renewed till April 2017.

But my depression and financial issues still remained. In the meantime, I was being supported financially by my family back in my home country. I found a very casual work too.

It was in mid 2016 that I started to 'wake up' and end my depression and shape my life. Little by little, I improved. I found love of my life, committed to a marriage with her and we're happy. I have started to feel alive again, and want to build up.

The thing is because of being out of university for 3 terms, university now requires me to be readmitted to finish my thesis! And for that I need a valid study permit for May 2017, but it expires in end of April. And for extension of my study permit, I need a letter from university !!! It's a loop.
Were you enrolled until January this year? The study visa is only good for 90 days after you quit attending school. I'm concerned you might be out of status.

marrynated

Star Member
Dec 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was not enrolled because I couldn't pay for tuition fee and I was having some personal issues. I have spoken to my university and they will consider me for readmission, but it'll be for this May (but my study permit will be expired by then).

There are 3 scenarios:

1. Leave my application as-is. That is, submitting Spousal Sponsorship application + OWP (without letter from university)

2. Submit just the spousal sponsorship application and then try to extend my study permit.

3. Change study permit to visitor

I'd like to hear what you guys/gals think about these scenarios! ?

marrynated

Star Member
Dec 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I leave the checkmark for being student unchecked and not include a letter from university, would they:

1. return the application and 255$

or

2. ask for the letter

-----

Also can we just send the spousal application now and then send OWP later? Or both should be at same time?