+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If you already have the CSQ - what else do you need for a work permit?

blurgh

Mar 22, 2016
If you have already CSQ already,
To get a work permit, your potential employer only needs to give you an offer of employment?

Do they need to provide anything else?

Thanks!

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
Employer has to submit the work offer with CIC through the employer portal and pay 230 dollars fee. Employer should give you the number of the work offer that CIC provides them when accepted. You need to have this number with you, and better also ask for a copy of the payment receipt. Also you need an employment letter from your employer, passport, your old work permit (or whatever permit you are currently on in the country). Bring your diploma and CV too, in case you need to prove your eligibility for the job offered. This is what I took with me, not everything was needed, but the checklist was provided by an immigration consultant so it includes items that MAY be needed - and you don't want to make a second trip because you didn't bring them the first time...

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Employer has to submit the work offer with CIC through the employer portal and pay 230 dollars fee. Employer should give you the number of the work offer that CIC provides them when accepted. You need to have this number with you, and better also ask for a copy of the payment receipt. Also you need an employment letter from your employer, passport, your old work permit (or whatever permit you are currently on in the country). Bring your diploma and CV too, in case you need to prove your eligibility for the job offered. This is what I took with me, not everything was needed, but the checklist was provided by an immigration consultant so it includes items that MAY be needed - and you don't want to make a second trip because you didn't bring them the first time...
"This is what I took with me". - Took with you where ? , Isnt this an online application ? Is there a office we can submit directly ?

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
"This is what I took with me". - Took with you where ? , Isnt this an online application ? Is there a office we can submit directly ?
Oh sorry, I automatically assumed that the OP wanted to flagpole for work permit :D I think I've read too many threads on getting papers at the border... So yup, that's what I took with me to flagpole for work permit.
Otherwise, if you just apply online, you will get a checklist as usual. MyCIC makes you always fill an eligibility test and will give a customised checklist which may or may not be different from what you should take to the border.
Thanks Cherti for pointing out my ambiguousness :D

Reactions: cherti

blurgh

Mar 22, 2016
hey everyone, thanks for the replies :)
Ok so the stuff the employer needs to do on the CIC, shouldn't take very long right?

I'm in a bit of a complicated situation.
I have a CSQ through my partner (the main applicant). She got an offer of employment from her employer but its due to start after my current visa (PVT) runs out. So instead of getting the open permit as a spouse, im trying to get a locked permit with my employer using my csq.

But my employer seems to not know the process well ! :p

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
hey everyone, thanks for the replies :)
Ok so the stuff the employer needs to do on the CIC, shouldn't take very long right?

I'm in a bit of a complicated situation.
I have a CSQ through my partner (the main applicant). She got an offer of employment from her employer but its due to start after my current visa (PVT) runs out. So instead of getting the open permit as a spouse, im trying to get a locked permit with my employer using my csq.

But my employer seems to not know the process well ! :p

The employment offer number process for employer takes maximum a day - CIC has a 24h response time limit. So it is really quick, usually you get the number during the same day if the work offer is sent in the morning. We did it many times and it was always within the given limit. They just need to go and look at the employer portal of CIC, and look at how to submit the LMIA exempt work offer https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/partners-service-providers/employer-portal/user-guide.html
It requires some basic information about the company, the job offer and the individual that the position is for.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
The employment offer number process for employer takes maximum a day - CIC has a 24h response time limit. So it is really quick, usually you get the number during the same day if the work offer is sent in the morning. We did it many times and it was always within the given limit. They just need to go and look at the employer portal of CIC, and look at how to submit the LMIA exempt work offer https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/partners-service-providers/employer-portal/user-guide.html
It requires some basic information about the company, the job offer and the individual that the position is for.
Very good information.

Assuming that I have the CSQ and If I work for the same employer as mentioned in the LMIA (closed permit) , does the employer need to apply for LMIA and CAQ again for extending my work permit ?

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
Very good information.

Assuming that I have the CSQ and If I work for the same employer as mentioned in the LMIA (closed permit) , does the employer need to apply for LMIA and CAQ again for extending my work permit ?
Should not have to, because you are exempted from LMIA with the CSQ, and in practice a part of the Canadian employee pool. This is actually a huge advantage and encourages employers from Quebec to employ the Quebec-selected people, because they will not have to go into complicated paperwork. Some, of course, consider even the LMIA-exempt employment offer to be a lot of work, but they obviously never went through the LMIA ;)

editorh

May 25, 2019
Hi friend Betula, you must be very experienced on the procedures. I am PEQ graduate and got CSQ for my family, so my husband has the CSQ and his visitor's visa, if he finds a job in here, can he get a work permit exempting LMIA in this situation? Thank you very much