+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If nominated from a province, is there any mandatory time that we HAVE to stay ?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pfse said:
Intent to settle means at least try to settle (rent apartment, apply for the job, sin, medical insurance, etc.). If you living the province next day after arrival, you will hard time to prove your "intent".
The statement I answered was related to "intent" which is signed before applicant became PR.
Intent only means intention not actions. You are attributing qualities to the word that don't exist. I can intend to settle in the nominating province and that intent is proved if I 'land' in that province. Once I land in the nominating province and activate my PR status, the question of intent no longer applies. Theoretically, one could fly immediately to any place in Canada and it won't matter.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
Intent only means intention not actions. You are attributing qualities to the word that don't exist. I can intend to settle in the nominating province and that intent is proved if I 'land' in that province.
Well, let's start again. Intent is what it is - intent. Intent to settle in the province is proven once the applicant is landed in the province - agree with that... But, again, in theory the Province my challenge this by appealing to CIC accusing you in misrepresentation because your "intent" was, in fact, not genuine. Again, I didn't heard this happen before, but who knows about the future. CIC constantly changing it's guidelines.

Once I land in the nominating province and activate my PR status, the question of intent no longer applies. Theoretically, one could fly immediately to any place in Canada and it won't matter.
I'm not talking about PR rights at all.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
pfse said:
Well, let's start again. Intent is what it is - intent. Intent to settle in the province is proven once the applicant is landed in the province - agree with that... But, again, in theory the Province my challenge this by appealing to CIC accusing you in misrepresentation because your "intent" was, in fact, not genuine. Again, I didn't heard this happen before, but who knows about the future. CIC constantly changing it's guidelines.
I'm not talking about PR rights at all.
Ok, so what if I get to the province that nominated me, and I really want to settle there. But on the second day, I tour the city and don't like it, or get sick!
And then on the 3rd day I fly out to another province and feel at home. How will they differentiate me from someone who genuinely had no intention to settle there?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
One_Topsy said:
Ok, so what if I get to the province that nominated me, and I really want to settle there. But on the second day, I tour the city and don't like it, or get sick!
And then on the 3rd day I fly out to another province and feel at home. How will they differentiate me from someone who genuinely had no intention to settle there?
If (I emphasize if) someday provinces decide to track their PRs, you will probably need to explain the reason of leave. It is better to have good reason. Chance that this going to happen is very slim but it is better to be on the safe side.

alex_dinou

Oct 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian Constitution grants all its citizens and permanent residents right of free movement and settlement throughout entire Canada. Once you land on the Canadian soil and become a PR there is nothing stopping you from moving to any place that comes to your mind.

Provinces are free to conduct studies about how many of their nominees actually settled there, but certainly can not force the ones who haven't to explain why they haven't.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks, it s very crystal clear about this matter

1. Once you are a PR, you are free to go anywhere you want, nobody can stop you from doing this
2. There is MORAL obligation, the province nominates you because they need you to stay here. You are a Canadian now, respect this country and the province that nominated you. If you have no intention at all or even only half or a quarter of intention to stay in that province for whatever reasons. STATE that explicitly and clearly when you make your PNP application and let PNP officer decide whether they should nominate you or not. Tell them if you cannot find a job within 6 months after you land in that province you will move to another "better" province
3. Statement of intention, this is grey area, I would say this is a contract between the province and you. Contract based on TRUST and RESPECT between both parties. However, that contract should not be in contrary with the constitution which is the very foundation of Canadian laws and regulations.
4. The province might not chase you if you leave that province one day after your landing. They are busy doing their job nominating people with the GENUINE hope that those people from whatever country will stay and contribute to that province.

As a Canadian PR and perhaps potential Canadian Citizen, please behave ethically. You are part of this beautiful country. Respect others, respect yourself

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
Okay, allow me to chip in here:

This is one of the questions that comes up the most on this forum- are you legally bound to stay in the province that nominated you, and only that province, if you get Permanent Residency?
The answer to this question is no, you are not. Once you are a permanent resident, you are protected by the Constitution of Canada, which gives you the right to mobility- that is, you can travel to, and live, anywhere in the country that you wish to, without restrictions.
However, keep the following in mind:

 You have a moral obligation to try and live in the province that nominated you, and to try and make it work, for at least 6-12 months. What this means is, once you go to Canada, you should spend some time trying to settle down in the province that nominated you. Try to find a house, try to get a job. If, after a period of 6 or more months, you still have been unsuccessful in your attempts to settle, you have given your good faith effort at attempting to reside in that province (which is what you declared in your letter of intent that you would do), and you can move to another province where your prospects are better;

 On that note, you need to demonstrate at least an attempt to reside in the province that nominated you. While once you land in Canada, you have all the rights and privileges of a permanent resident, do remember that they do not apply to you until you have officially 'landed-' i.e. until you have crossed the border checks. If at the border check, the officers determine that you have no intent to go to the province that nominated you (maybe by checking your itinerary, which shows them that your ultimate destination is not the province that nominated you, or that you are only stopping there for a few days before going to some other province), they may refuse you entry (and they would be well within their legal authority to do so).

The long and short of it, then? The letter is not legally binding, but it places a moral obligation upon you to try and reside in the province that nominated you. That moral obligation can and may be enforced prior to your entry into Canada at the port of entry, before you complete your landing. So the best thing to do is to make an honest and concerted effort at settling in the province that nominated you- if it does not work out, then you can move freely to any other part of Canada without any worries.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pfse said:
If (I emphasize if) someday provinces decide to track their PRs, you will probably need to explain the reason of leave. It is better to have good reason. Chance that this going to happen is very slim but it is better to be on the safe side.
If Canada ever descends to being a police state that tracks (or allows provinces to track) the movement of its citizens, it isn't the best place to be for most people on the forum. Chances of that happening are more remote than the chances of every member on this forum getting a PR in 2016.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
alex_dinou said:
Canadian Constitution grants all its citizens and permanent residents right of free movement and settlement throughout entire Canada. Once you land on the Canadian soil and become a PR there is nothing stopping you from moving to any place that comes to your mind.

Provinces are free to conduct studies about how many of their nominees actually settled there, but certainly can not force the ones who haven't to explain why they haven't.
Asivad Anac said:
If Canada ever descends to being a police state that tracks (or allows provinces to track) the movement of its citizens, it isn't the best place to be for most people on the forum. Chances of that happening are more remote than the chances of every member on this forum getting a PR in 2016.
In fact CIC does have studies on retention rate of PNP programs. Clearly they know some people move away from their nominating province.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/evaluation/pnp/section4.asp
4.2.3.1. Retention in nominating PT

The bottom line is, The government of Canada and Provinces and Territories cannot legally revoke PR simply because you move away from the province of nomination [After] becoming PR. Whether you have an moral obligation of staying is your decision. So stop feeding the troll.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
Would you consider Germany as police state? Do you know that ppl there may receive Residence permits with limitation to specific liiving places. Do you know that "EU law did not prevent a residence condition for the purpose of promoting integration". Would you consider EU as a "police state".
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0W34GP

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pfse said:
Would you consider Germany as police state? Do you know that ppl there may receive Residence permits with limitation to specific liiving places. Do you know that "EU law did not prevent a residence condition for the purpose of promoting integration". Would you consider EU as a "police state".
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0W34GP
That ruling was not about economic immigrants so doesn't apply in this context. Canada can (and probably does) keep an eye out on where refugees are resettled but that still doesn't justify and/or allow provinces to forcefully retain economic immigrants coming over under PNP under any overt or implied threat of revocation of PR.

mf4361 said:
In fact CIC does have studies on retention rate of PNP programs. Clearly they know some people move away from their nominating province.

The bottom line is, The government of Canada and Provinces and Territories cannot legally revoke PR simply because you move away from the province of nomination [After] becoming PR. Whether you have an moral obligation of staying is your decision. So stop feeding the troll.
)

No harm in governmental studies on where people live and work - that could be done for citizens as well and it's purpose is very different from what I meant in terms of policing people's movements or enforcing restrictions after they have acquired PR status.

And you're right about not feeding the trolls.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
That ruling was not about economic immigrants so doesn't apply in this context. Canada can (and probably does) keep an eye out on where refugees are resettled but that still doesn't justify and/or allow provinces to forcefully retain economic immigrants coming over under PNP under any overt or implied threat of revocation of PR.
)
This is not about type of immigration. This is about human rights. Immigration of any type is privilege not a right. CIC can easily take PR back if finds that someone abuse the system.

No harm in governmental studies on where people live and work - that could be done for citizens as well and it's purpose is very different from what I meant in terms of policing people's movements or enforcing restrictions after they have acquired PR status.
There is a reason why pnp programs were introduced. People using these programs to find backdoors into rich provinces are clearly abusing the immigration system by taking places from other people who is ready to live and work in these provinces, not to mention that it affects the provinces as well. It is not reasonable to expect that government will start doing something about that.

And you're right about not feeding the trolls.
Didn't expect from such "reputable" member such a cheap thing.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not about type of immigration. This is about human rights. Immigration of any type is privilege not a right. CIC can easily take PR back if finds that someone abuse the system.
But it is. It is about the distinction governments can (and do) maintain about economic immigration that brings in more taxpayers and other kinds of immigration which probably doesn't bring in as many taxpayers but may win you more elections. As things stand, IRCC and/or provinces cannot legally stop any PR from living or working anywhere in Canada. They can definitely put barriers in place before you get in but not after you've cleared immigration and activated your PR status.

Once you are a PR, you are constitutionally allowed to live and work wherever you want. You aren't 'abusing' the system; you are simply using your constitutionally guaranteed right. If you become a PR and indulge in criminal activities from within Canada because it is a 'safer' place for your operations, then you would be 'abusing' the system. If you become a PR and indulge in 'fake' marriages to bring in more immigrants into the country, then you would be 'abusing' the system. Not by living, working and paying taxes anywhere in Canada.

There is a reason why pnp programs were introduced. People using these programs to find backdoors into rich provinces are clearly abusing the immigration system by taking places from other people who is ready to live and work in these provinces, not to mention that it affects the provinces as well. It is not reasonable to expect that government will start doing something about that.
And they do that all the time. They create entry barriers and that's the best they can do. Which is why some provinces give you additional points for having family there. Why some provinces penalize you for having family elsewhere. Why some provinces give you additional points for having been educated there. Or having local employment. All of these apply only to the people who aspire for PN. None of these can be used to hold back a PR within the province.

pfse said:
Didn't expect from such "reputable" member such a cheap thing.
There is nothing cheap about not feeding trolls. That wasn't directed at you else I wouldn't still be replying here. This forum used to have a lot of trolls and there aren't as many now because of the disciplined ignoring.

patnikrishna

Feb 17, 2015
NOC Code......
Hi All,
Thank you for your replies.
My point was not to use any Nomination as a back door to others but rather in terms of practical reasons.
One being, what if I really try for a job ( NOC A based to have the best and widest possibility of jobs ) for months and
do not get a job to support me after trying for so long ?

OR

What if my current company in China/India/USA wherever I come from is now willing to offer me because I was working
with them before moving to Canada but their office location is in completely different province.

Just wanted to add this.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
patnikrishna said:
Hi All,
Thank you for your replies.
My point was not to use any Nomination as a back door to others but rather in terms of practical reasons.
One being, what if I really try for a job ( NOC A based to have the best and widest possibility of jobs ) for months and
do not get a job to support me after trying for so long ?

OR

What if my current company in China/India/USA wherever I come from is now willing to offer me because I was working
with them before moving to Canada but their office location is in completely different province.

Just wanted to add this.
As PR, you are free to live and work wherever you want in Canada. The only requirement is that you 'land' in the nominating province. Period.