+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If my cousin starts an Manitoban apprenticeship here, will that give him enough points for PR

evv098

Apr 3, 2020
I'm currently trying to help my cousin move to Canada permanently. I live in Manitoba and want him to live in my rented house, I've contacted Apprenticeship Manitoba and here's the response I got "As long as he has a valid work permit, a temporary SIN number, and an employer who can sign the apprenticeship agreement, then his hours will count as long as it a registered trade in Manitoba." My cousin is 21 and due to being young, hasn't much experience in a specific work force. He is currently working for his dad as a carpenter but has only done so for 3 months. Manitoba's PNP system seems to not ask for "semi-skilled" workers as other provinces do. I'm wondering if he starts an apprenticeship here with a work visa, as well as being related to 3 Canadian citizens, would that give him enough points to apply for PR. If not, any other ways to move him here with the aim for permanent immigration, I would love to hear. Thanks for your time.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I'm currently trying to help my cousin move to Canada permanently. I live in Manitoba and want him to live in my rented house, I've contacted Apprenticeship Manitoba and here's the response I got "As long as he has a valid work permit, a temporary SIN number, and an employer who can sign the apprenticeship agreement, then his hours will count as long as it a registered trade in Manitoba." My cousin is 21 and due to being young, hasn't much experience in a specific work force. He is currently working for his dad as a carpenter but has only done so for 3 months. Manitoba's PNP system seems to not ask for "semi-skilled" workers as other provinces do. I'm wondering if he starts an apprenticeship here with a work visa, as well as being related to 3 Canadian citizens, would that give him enough points to apply for PR. If not, any other ways to move him here with the aim for permanent immigration, I would love to hear. Thanks for your time.

1. His first hurdle is going to be getting a work permit. It is unlikely that any employer is going to advertise the position for an unskilled worker and get an approved LMIA.

evv098

Apr 3, 2020
Hi

1. His first hurdle is going to be getting a work permit. It is unlikely that any employer is going to advertise the position for an unskilled worker and get an approved LMIA.
He started a Holiday/Work permit a few years ago for Canada but he didn't go through at that time, turns out he was able to reactivate it. Would he not just be able to look for an employer that needs an apprentice after he gets here? Or is that too far of a stretch? At that point would an employer need a LMIA? Thanks for your time and sorry if it seems like I'm uneducated on the whole thing, only started trying to get him here in the last few days.