+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I've finished a 4 year and a 1 year program at two schools, then will I get only 1 year pgwp?

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
If I've finished a 4 year and a 1 year program at two schools, then will I get only 1 year pgwp? The official ircc website says that in order to combine 2 programs they have to be completed within 2 years. But advisors said that I'll get 3y pgwp as long as they are 2 years within each other. I think they're wrong.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
If I've finished a 4 year and a 1 year program at two schools, then will I get only 1 year pgwp? The official ircc website says that in order to combine 2 programs they have to be completed within 2 years. But advisors said that I'll get 3y pgwp as long as they are 2 years within each other. I think they're wrong.
Not 100% sure but I believe if both programs were back to back with no gap in-between, you get 3 year PGWP.

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
Not 100% sure but I believe if both programs were back to back with no gap in-between, you get 3 year PGWP.
But on the official site says that combining the programs is premised on the fact that "The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years." The programs need to be completed within 2yrs. It seems contradictory to what you say.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IF
The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years.

Note: Each program of study must meet all PGWPP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.

THEN
The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program.

If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for a combination of a DVS with an AVS in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years (provided that the DVS program in Quebec is at least 900 hours in length).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

You say : "The programs need to be completed within 2yrs. "

So, how it is contradict written above and what lolcocks said?

What do you mean by this: "I've finished a 4 year and a 1 year program at two schools "? To take a 1 yr program with a gap of a year or two?
Because if you finish your 4th year in April and go to the Uni in September again, it means "within 2 years".

Last edited:

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
IF
The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years.

Note: Each program of study must meet all PGWPP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.

THEN

If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for a combination of a DVS with an AVS in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years (provided that the DVS program in Quebec is at least 900 hours in length).

What do you mean by this: "I've finished a 4 year and a 1 year program at two schools "? To take a 1 yr program with a gap of a year or two?
Because if you finish your 4th year in April and go to the Uni in September again, it means "within 2 years".
But it is possible to complete programs that total more than 2y
IF

THEN

That's in the 3rd column and should be conditioned on the 1st column, which says they have to be completed within 2y. It's possible to complete programs that total more than 2y within 2y. The webpage explicitly makes disctinction between duration of program and duration of study in the first blue rectangle.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"But it is possible to complete programs that total more than 2y "

Like 4 yr and 1 yr?
Why would you need a 1yr program if after 4 yr program you will already get 3 yr PGWP?

Or are you talking about accelerated programs? But the initial question is not about accelerated programs.

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
"But it is possible to complete programs that total more than 2y "

Like 4 yr and 1 yr?
Why would you need a 1yr program if after 4 yr program you will already get 3 yr PGWP?

Or are you talking about accelerated programs? But the initial question is not about accelerated programs.
Why do I take 1y program? I changed my career plan
Not really accelerated programs per se but I'm just presenting my interpretation of the sentence you quote, which I think only applies to accelerated programs and thus is not applicable to my scenario.

Last edited:

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you describe your thoughts in details? Do not just assume that other people could read your mind and therefore there is no need to talk clearly.

I advise you to call CIC, and also ask an immigration consultant about your idea. And then compare what they said.

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
Can you describe your thoughts in details? Do not just assume that other people could read your mind and therefore there is no need to talk clearly.

I advise you to call CIC, and also ask an immigration consultant about your idea. And then compare what they said.
Thanks. But no I never assume that and I don't know why you are saying so. I'm already clear enough, so which part do you not get? You made a couple of grammar mistakes and you aren't being clear either so idk why you're being so condescending?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks. But no I never assume that and I don't know why you are saying so. I'm already clear enough, so which part do you not get? You made a couple of grammar mistakes and you aren't being clear either so idk why you're being so condescending?
People have varying opinions but my opinion is that you'll receive 3 year PGWP. Why?

Program 1 end date: 01/01/2020
Program 2 end date: 01/01/2021

falls within 3 year range that IRCC is stating. The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years. The key word here is actually completed.

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
Thanks. But no I never assume that and I don't know why you are saying so. You made a couple of grammar mistakes and you aren't being clear either so idk why you're being so consdescending?
People have varying opinions but my opinion is that you'll receive 3 year PGWP. Why?

Program 1 end date: 01/01/2020
Program 2 end date: 01/01/2021

falls within 3 year range that IRCC is stating. The student completed more than one program from an eligible DLI within 2 years. The key word here is actually completed.
I think both interpretations may be correct. Different officers interpret it differently.