+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I use a VPN to take the oath

Vadym1977

Apr 28, 2019
Good day to all forum participants. I have been waiting for my citizenship oath date for over 8 months. At the moment I would like to leave Canada to meet my close relatives (grandparents) who are now in Poland and have fled the war in my home country of Ukraine. They are very old and are waiting to meet me since we have not seen each other for more than 5 years. Perhaps this will be the last meeting as they say and the poet wants to spend time with me. I am worried that during this period I may receive an invitation to the citizenship ceremony, but since I have been waiting for so long, I would not like to postpone the date to a later date. If I use a VPN to take the oath, will it be certain that I am using this service and am not really in Canada? Perhaps someone has done this? I'm completely confused what to do. A very difficult time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day to all forum participants. I have been waiting for my citizenship oath date for over 8 months. At the moment I would like to leave Canada to meet my close relatives (grandparents) who are now in Poland and have fled the war in my home country of Ukraine. They are very old and are waiting to meet me since we have not seen each other for more than 5 years. Perhaps this will be the last meeting as they say and the poet wants to spend time with me. I am worried that during this period I may receive an invitation to the citizenship ceremony, but since I have been waiting for so long, I would not like to postpone the date to a later date. If I use a VPN to take the oath, will it be certain that I am using this service and am not really in Canada? Perhaps someone has done this? I'm completely confused what to do. A very difficult time.
I suggest you not using a VPN (be honest) and just make a quick trip to Europe.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Whatever you do, don't lie to IRCC. That's fraud.
So no, don't use a VPN.
If it comes to that, connect to your ceremony wherever you are, tell them what your situation is, and go from there. Some people here have said they were able to take the oath from outside the country, but without a proper communication fro IRCC, this still seems to be following a case by case basis. It would suck if you're told to wait for a second ceremony, but your citizenship is for life.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Just for your information, there is a technology that can show if you are using a VPN or not, so I won't recommend doing it without informing the IRCC.

Vadym1977

Apr 28, 2019
Whatever you do, don't lie to IRCC. That's fraud.
So no, don't use a VPN.
If it comes to that, connect to your ceremony wherever you are, tell them what your situation is, and go from there. Some people here have said they were able to take the oath from outside the country, but without a proper communication fro IRCC, this still seems to be following a case by case basis. It would suck if you're told to wait for a second ceremony, but your citizenship is for life.
I don't want to be bad and lie. The only thing I need is that everything be according to the rules on both sides and I would not be a hostage to a situation where I cannot plan my time because someone cannot do their job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They will easily know you are outside of Canada and using VPN.

Request approval to take the oath outside of Canada. Don't try to hide your location.

Reactions: Vadym1977