+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if i quit job to my employer since i am only 3 months workin can they deport me?

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
i need help,i am new to canada and i want to quit with my current employer as live in caregiver,i am worried if i quit my job and my visa will be invalid?so can they deport me?to my homeland?or i can still have time to find new employer?yet how many months they will give to me just incase?

Lhay

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
HI,
im not expert in here, but as what i hav read on this forum, you can find a new employer and leave your present employer as long as you have valid reason. just wait for other advise from those expert.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
eunice said:
i need help,i am new to canada and i want to quit with my current employer as live in caregiver,i am worried if i quit my job and my visa will be invalid?so can they deport me?to my homeland?or i can still have time to find new employer?yet how many months they will give to me just incase?
Your employer can not deport you on account of leaving your employer. There is another thread where that has been already discussed. BTW where are you? There are caregiver associations in each province who may be able to help you should have any problems.

I have copy pasted this information before but I am doing it again for you:

If you need help

If your employer treats you unfairly, you can call or write to the nearest provincial or territorial labour standards office. These offices are listed at the end of this booklet. Your employer cannot penalize you for complaining to these agencies. The agency may ask if you have tried first to resolve the problem by talking to your employer. Your employer may not realize that there is a problem, and you may be able to solve it by letting your employer know how you feel.

In every province and territory, there are private and public agencies ready to offer encouragement, advice and help if you experience other difficulties such as stress, anxiety or any other problem. These agencies are usually listed in the telephone directory. In some locations, there are also professional support networks for live-in domestics or caregivers. A list of these support networks appears at the end of this booklet. There is usually no charge for these services. In some cities, there are telephone services that provide recorded information on legal matters free of charge.

Human Resources Centres Canada offer employment services. To find out which HRCC serves your area, consult the government section of your telephone directory or visit the Human Resources Development Canada Web site.

What is abuse?

Abuse can take many forms. It can include criminal acts such as assault, sexual assault or negligence; it can be human rights violations such as harassment, verbal taunting or behaviour towards you that is degrading or humiliating. It can be a threat or a false accusation by your employer meant to frighten you into not complaining.

The best protection against abuse is information. Be sure that you know your rights and what steps to take if something goes wrong. Depending on the nature of the incident, abuse may be an offence under the Criminal Code or a violation under provincial or federal human rights legislation.

Do not confront your abuser. Inform the police or the responsible provincial or territorial authorities and let them take care of the investigation. A domestic worker advocacy group may also be able to provide you with counselling and support in a situation of abuse. A list of these groups is provided at the end of the booklet.

Changing jobs

Occasionally, live-in caregivers have reason or need to change employers. You do not need permission from your present employer to accept a job as a live-in caregiver with a different employer. You cannot be deported for quitting your job or for looking for other employment as a live-in caregiver. You should be aware that it is your responsibility to find a new employer. Your HRCC may be able to provide information about available live-in caregiver positions.

Your new employer must have the offer of employment confirmed by an HRCC. Include a copy of the HRCC's letter, which confirms the confirmation of the offer of employment, with your application for a new work permit. You must get a new work permit before you begin to work for your new employer. You can get an application guide for your work permit by contacting the CIC Call Centre or by visiting the CIC Web site.

If your work permit is about to expire and you have not yet found a new employer, or the HRCC confirmation has not been processed, send your application to renew your work permit and a letter of explanation to the Case Processing Centre, Vegreville, Alberta, T9C 1C1, at least three weeks before the expiry date of your work permit. Be sure to include your file number, full name and date of birth, and keep a copy for yourself. Do not allow your work permit to expire, even for one day. It is your responsibility to keep your work permit valid.

Working for anyone other than the employer named on your work permit is illegal. You cannot accept trial employment where a new employer offers to "try out" your services for a few weeks or months to determine if you would be a suitable full-time employee. Trial employment is also illegal for an employer. Under the Live-in Caregiver Program, unauthorized employment will not count toward the two-year employment requirement to apply for permanent residence in Canada

Thinking about quitting?

You will improve your chances of getting another job if you have worked in one job for a considerable period of time. Before quitting your job (unless there are problems of abuse) you should try to solve your work problems by talking about them with your employer. It is reasonable for you and your employer to revise your contract periodically to be sure that it is suitable to both of you. Talk with your employer before taking any action to quit your job. If you decide to quit, give your employer enough notice so that arrangements can be made for your replacement. Check your contract to find out how much notice you have agreed to give your employer. However, you are encouraged to leave a physically abusive situation right away.

Breaking the contract

If you leave your job, your employer must provide you with a record of employment (ROE). Only your employer can get and complete this document. The ROE shows how many weeks you have worked and how much you have earned. You will need this record to apply for EI benefits. If you are not applying for EI benefits, keep your ROE in a safe place. It is your work record and can serve as proof that you have worked the necessary length of time to apply for permanent residence as set out in the Live-In Caregiver Program regulations. Your employer cannot refuse to give you a record of employment. If you are having difficulty getting your ROE, contact your local HRCC and ask officials to follow up with your employer.

Remember that if you change jobs, you must have another contract with your new employer.

Any live-in caregiver who decides to live out, or who accepts any other type of employment, can be disqualified from the program.

shiroh

Dec 11, 2008
Just wondering what it means really when one says abuse? Is it when someone does the wrong thing and is questioned? When someone does not follow rules agreed upon, is not truthful?

I am confused. Anyone willing to tell what happened before they got "äbused"? It might help others.