+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I marry a Canadian Citizen online, Can I enter canada as an inmmediaty family member?

kvonrosen

Apr 4, 2019
Honduras
Category........
Hello everyone!
As for most engaged couples during this horrible pandemic time, me and my fiance also got our plans of marriage frustrated.
I am a national foreign from Honduras and He is a Canadian citizen.
He recently told me there is people getting married online in order to enter Canada as an immediate family member.
Can you help me confirm if this is possible? I am aware online marriage is not valid under Canadian laws for spousal sponsorship, but is it valid to simply enter canada as a TRV holder who is visiting their wife/husband? How would that go with the border officer? Or with the airline who would need to confirm the marriage is legit?
I will appreciate everyone's insight.
Thanks in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hello everyone!
As for most engaged couples during this horrible pandemic time, me and my fiance also got our plans of marriage frustrated.
He recently told me there is people getting married online in order to enter Canada as an immediate family member.
Can you help me confirm if this is possible? I am aware online marriage is not valid under Canadian laws for spousal sponsorship, but is it valid to simply enter canada as a TRV holder who is visiting their wife/husband? How would that go with the border officer? Or with the airline who would need to confirm the marriage is legit?
Thanks in advance!
1. Canada doesn't recognize proxy marriages

Rather than "getting legal opinions, which is Iglu's usual answer. Go to www.cic.gc.ca where you will find

Does IRCC recognize marriages conducted by proxy, telephone, internet and fax?

No. We don’t recognize these types of marriages. If one or both parties are not physically present at the ceremony, we won’t recognize the marriage.
You may be exempt from this rule if:
  • Your application was received before June 10, 2015, or
  • You are a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.The marriage may be recognized if:
    • You could not be physically present at your marriage ceremony, because of travel restrictions related to your service,
    • the marriage took place outside of Canada, and
    • It was registered in a country where marriage by proxy is legal.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
it is better if you ask your fiance to get some legal help in this matter. it is something you will never get on this forum ,it is a legal matter.
very simple answer. There is no legal help required because proxy marriages are not recognized.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hello everyone!
Thanks in advance!
Just emphasis what most have already said, you will not be considered married, nor will you be considered a family member. Proxy marriages are not recognized by IRCC. Don’t waste your time.