+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if I get a surgery in canada during my student visa, will it hamper my PR chances

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Talking about a genuine authentic surgery related to health, approved by the doctors and insurance company.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Talking about a genuine authentic surgery related to health, approved by the doctors and insurance company.
Depends on why you need surgery and whether it is part of ongoing health issues that may be expensive to treat. It may take a very long time to get surgery in Canada specially given covid. If you aren't in Canada already and you know you need surgery I would consider having surgery in your home country.

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Depends on why you need surgery and whether it is part of ongoing health issues that may be expensive to treat.
Not realted to anything ongoing. Just related to back pain. I am sure it will be mentioned in the medical. Does it hamper any chance?

Thanks

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Not realted to anything ongoing. Just related to back pain. I am sure it will be mentioned in the medical. Does it hamper any chance?

Thanks
Depends on why you need surgery and whether it is part of ongoing health issues that may be expensive to treat. It may take a very long time to get surgery in Canada specially given covid. If you aren't in Canada already and you know you need surgery I would consider having surgery in your home country.
And literally not more than 5 K CAD

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Spine surgery wait lists are some of the longest in the country. No OR functions with only 5K.
Not spinal :) . What I am refering to is technically a plastic surgery but of course, there are legit medicacl reasons behind it. It is literally an operation that takes 3-5 hours and you are free to go home post that. It doesnt cost more than 5-6 K CAD. I checked :)

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Not spinal :) . What I am refering to is technically a plastic surgery but of course, there are legit medicacl reasons behind it. It is literally an operation that takes 3-5 hours and you are free to go home post that. It doesnt cost more than 5-6 K CAD. I checked :)
I will happily pay for it from my own pocket. Just want to make sure it doesnt affect the PR process

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh. Okay. Of course, the system is overstressed these days. I understand
Even before covid you likely would be waiting multiple years to get to spine surgery unless it was an actual emergency. You'll need to get a GP to evaluate what you've previously done and they may want you to try some things before getting referred to a neurosurgeon or an orthopaedic surgeon who does spinal surgery. It could take 6-12 months to see them. Would bring any imaging you already have to try to prevent further delays because doing more imaging which would be another 1-3 months and then meet again with the doctor who may want to try other things before surgery. After every other treatment has been exhausted then will you go on a surgery list. Varies on the area of Canada but spinal surgeries are in very high demand but there are limited surgeons who can do them and they are longer operations and surgeons are only allocated a certain number of surgery hours per week for budget reasons.

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Even before covid you likely would be waiting multiple years to get to spine surgery unless it was an actual emergency. You'll need to get a GP to evaluate what you've previously done and they may want you to try some things before getting referred to a neurosurgeon or an orthopaedic surgeon who does spinal surgery. It could take 6-12 months to see them. Would bring any imaging you already have to try to prevent further delays because doing more imaging which would be another 1-3 months and then meet again with the doctor who may want to try other things before surgery. After every other treatment has been exhausted then will you go on a surgery list. Varies on the area of Canada but spinal surgeries are in very high demand but there are limited surgeons who can do them and they are longer operations and surgeons are only allocated a certain number of surgery hours per week for budget reasons.
Not Spinal Surgery :) Anyways, no one has answer to my actual question it seems, which was about it's co-relation to PR.

Anyways, thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh assume you mean breast reduction then. No that won't be an issue for your PR. Would make sure you get a few opinions and speak to previous clients. Ask to see pictures of their past work. They should have a portfolio of pictures don't just look at the pictures on his/her website. Prices can vary widely. If a surgeon can schedule right away I would find another surgeon. A waitlist usually indicates a good surgeon. You will definitely not have to wait 2 years. The recovery can be pretty brutal so make sure to have the surgery when you have at least 3 weeks or more off from school/work. Think 5-6k seems a bit low for the more expensive areas in Canada but haven't been following prices carefully. Really depends where you are having surgery in Canada. 3-5 hours must include recovery time since surgery won't be 5 hours.

Reactions: Catmom

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Oh assume you mean breast reduction then. No that won't be an issue for your PR. Would make sure you get a few opinions and speak to previous clients. Ask to see pictures of their past work. They should have a portfolio of pictures don't just look at the pictures on his/her website. Prices can vary widely. If a surgeon can schedule right away I would find another surgeon. A waitlist usually indicates a good surgeon. You will definitely not have to wait 2 years. The recovery can be pretty brutal so make sure to have the surgery when you have at least 3 weeks or more off from school/work. Think 5-6k seems a bit low for the more expensive areas in Canada but haven't been following prices carefully. Really depends where you are having surgery in Canada. 3-5 hours must include recovery time since surgery won't be 5 hours.
Thank you so much :) Great points. Glad to hear this :)

GazZOR

Aug 29, 2022
It all depends on the complexity of surgery and recovery, so if you want to do some surgery, it's better to do it in your home country. For example, I sometimes undergo Filler NJ procedures. Still, I do it only in America because the prices for plastic surgery are too high in Canada, and it can also affect my student situation, etc. Also, in Canada, if you do not have health insurance, then you will have to pay a lot of money for surgery that you will have to do. I hope you understood me and my post helped a little in answering questions.