+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If i extended the study permit but changed my mind, do I have to still learn the next course?

Dec 18, 2023
Hello everyone,

Hope you guys are doing well. I have 3 questions:

1. I will finish my 1st-year course in May 2024. If now, I extend my study permit for the 2nd-year course in September 2024, but then decide to not study it any more, do I still have to study it by law?

2. Does this extending study permit impact the PGWP application in case I apply for the PGWP right after the 1st-year course? (I found somewhere in this forum saying that it doesn't impact, but just ask to be sure).

3. If I already extend the study permit, then don't take the 2nd-year course, and only apply for PGWP right before the 2nd-year course starts, is it legal? And can I still work full time since the 1st-year course ends till when I get the PGWP?

Thank you very much. Wish you guys a good day.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

Hope you guys are doing well. I have 3 questions:

1. I will finish my 1st-year course in May 2024. If now, I extend my study permit for the 2nd-year course in September 2024, but then decide to not study it any more, do I still have to study it by law?

2. Does this extending study permit impact the PGWP application in case I apply for the PGWP right after the 1st-year course? (I found somewhere in this forum saying that it doesn't impact, but just ask to be sure).

3. If I already extend the study permit, then don't take the 2nd-year course, and only apply for PGWP right before the 2nd-year course starts, is it legal? And can I still work full time since the 1st-year course ends till when I get the PGWP?

Thank you very much. Wish you guys a good day.
1. No. No one is forcing you to take another program.
2. No.
3. Is what legal? If you don’t want to take another course, no one is forcing you.

Reactions: mighty_soldier_1
Dec 18, 2023
1. No. No one is forcing you to take another program.
2. No.
3. Is what legal? If you don’t want to take another course, no one is forcing you.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. For the question 3, I mean can I work full time after graduation without apply for a PGWP and just apply for a PGWP when my study permit is close to expiring?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you very much for your kind reply. For the question 3, I mean can I work full time after graduation without apply for a PGWP and just apply for a PGWP when my study permit is close to expiring?
Don’t think you can do that. If not applying for a PGWP or studying then you cannot work full time. Either PGWP or study. Your study permit expires 90 days after graduation. Others can weigh in. Why would you wait so long to apply for PGWP?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No

Reactions: mighty_soldier_1

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Your student status ends, once you receive completion letter and transcript. Study permit for 2nd program won’t make you eligible for work or future pgwp unless you study.