+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I am holding a closed work permit, can I apply for a study permit ?

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
Hi, I know since last year people holding a work permit (closed or open) can study without requesting a study permit, that is clear. However, I am asking if I can apply for a study permit as I am not working anymore for the company that got me the closed work permit (there were some layoff last year end of year). I have the acceptance letter from the college (Algonquin) and that one year program is eligible for student and work permit (per what I've been told by the college). So, given my situation (holder of closed work permit that is not working anymore) I was wondering if there would be any issues requesting the study permit. My main objective is not only study but work, so if I do get the study permit (and given my situation explained above) would I have any issued getting that open work permit related to the study program?
(my work visa is valid till February 2025)
Hopefully you can help me with this question.
Thanks

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I know since last year people holding a work permit (closed or open) can study without requesting a study permit, that is clear. However, I am asking if I can apply for a study permit I am not working anymore for the company that got me the closed work permit (there were some layoff last year end of year). I have the acceptance letter from the college (Algonquin) and that one year program is eligible for student and work permit (per what I've been told by the college). So, given my situation (holder of closed work permit that is not working anymore) I was wondering if there would be any issues requesting the change/study permit.
Thanks
You can apply for a study permit. You aren’t changing permits. Pay tuition and show a minium of $21k in cash. Show ties to home country and justify cost of program by showing education and career progression with better paying job in home country.

Reactions: YVR123 and KBF

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
You can apply for a study permit. You aren’t changing permits. Pay tuition and show a minium of $21k in cash. Show ties to home country and justify cost of program by showing education and career progression with better paying job in home country.
Thanks! Just in case, my main objective is not only study but work, so if I do get the study permit (and given my situation explained above) would I have any issue getting that open work permit related to the study program?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks! Just in case, my main objective is not only study but work, so if I do get the study permit (and given my situation explained above) would I have any issue getting that open work permit related to the study program?
You need to study full time to work part time under most study permit. What open work permit are you talking about?

(there may be from time to time exemption to work more than 20 hours a week but you shouldn't count on that as a long term situation)
Also you need to attend your study full time and failing courses could result in changing your study to part time (you can't take scheduled courses as prerequisite courses failed)

Reactions: Naturgrl

arunshan

Apr 23, 2024
Hi, I know since last year people holding a work permit (closed or open) can study without requesting a study permit, that is clear. However, I am asking if I can apply for a study permit as I am not working anymore for the company that got me the closed work permit (there were some layoff last year end of year). I have the acceptance letter from the college (Algonquin) and that one year program is eligible for student and work permit (per what I've been told by the college). So, given my situation (holder of closed work permit that is not working anymore) I was wondering if there would be any issues requesting the study permit. My main objective is not only study but work, so if I do get the study permit (and given my situation explained above) would I have any issued getting that open work permit related to the study program?
Thanks
Hello I am also in the scenario, I had to leave the work cause of an abuse employer now planing to apply for a study permit, we're u able to obtain the study permit ???