+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I am exempt from RIV (36 month visa), do I need to "Export" my vehicle from the US?

xdzhao1984

Mar 24, 2023
Hi All

I moved from USA to Ontario, Canada in March 2019. when I moved imported my car temporarily i.e exempted from RIV process and registered car in Ontario by surrendering US title.

In May 2021, my status changed to permanent resident, and planning to import car permanently.. anyone did this ? could you please advise on the steps and share your experience ?

I do not have valid US Visa at this moment.

I have the same situation. How did you handle this situation?

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Well, here it is -
I also came in 2020 with a temporary car import process and that had no US export involved.
I got a import form 1 which has a restriction on selling the car in Canada.

I got my PR in 2023 and this is what I did.
I went to an inland CBSA office here in Calgary and took my Canadian car title, insurance, Import Form 1 copy and even took import documents for the personal stuff that I brought from US.

I explained to the official that my car was temporarily imported and registered in Canada already and didn’t say anything about US export and requested a new import form 1 for permanent import.

The officer looked at all documents and handed me a new import form 1 with ofcourse zero duties as the vehicle is entering as personal item with PR and gave me a receipt.
The officer told me that I would have to pay RIV fee though online which I did and then RIV sent me a federal inspection form(RIv inspection )after I emailed them my copy of new import form 1 , which I then took to Canadian tire to get my federal inspection completed. Once the inspection was completed ( mine passed but beware Canadian transport requires daytime running light to be on always in gear even with headlights off) I sent the copy to RIV and they officially told me that import process is completed and if the vehicle isnt registered already do that and that’s it. They told me they will send a RIV canadian compliance label to affix on the car.

Some officials in the past has told ppl of no need to pay RIV fee and the official have said that’s incorrect and vehicle will be non compliant in some days of non-payment and people have gotten in trouble for that non compliance which included the vehicle being impounded or destroyed.
Also beware since the vehicle was not exported from US , I would not take the vehicle to US border at all and just sell it here if you were to go back to US ever.