+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I am exempt from RIV (36 month visa), do I need to "Export" my vehicle from the US?

yahodahan

Oct 25, 2018
Hi there! I have browsed several (super!) helpful thread here, but am not seeing a clear answer to my question, thank you for any help!

I am moving temporarily from the US to Canada on a 3 year work permit, which exempts me from the RIV process- supposedly. I was told this at the Ontario border (and later confirmed it online), they let me pass straight through without doing any vehicle paperwork.

However, when I visited customs in Montreal to clear my "goods to follow" (my company had my household goods shipped up, very kind of them), they told me I was actually driving in Quebec illegally, that I must register the vehicle in order to drive it here.

So, that much makes sense- the province requires it's own registration. However, this leads me to two questions:
1) Is the customs officer actually incorrect, and because I'm exempt from RIV, I'm therefore exempt from provincial registration?
2) Or, he is correct, and I still need to do provincial registration- but do I need to "Export" the vehicle from the US, then import via RIV (including all the paperwork, fees, and inspections involved)?

It would be a major hassle (and cost) for me to Export and Import, just to (potentially) bring it back to the US in 3 years. It also doesn't really make sense. My current plan is to drive (very carefully) back to the Ontario border, exit, then re-enter through the Quebec border, and do the entire Export and Import process there, where they will (hopefully) know all the right stuff to do.

However...I'd really, really like to skip that Export/Import if I can. Any experience here? Thanks very much!

Reactions: raghavgrover

yahodahan

Oct 25, 2018
Thank you for the info- so what do I tell Quebec customs? They are adamant that I must register the vehicle. Do I register it with them, and simply skip the import/export process? I almost did this, but they told me I would be in trouble with the US if I crossed the border with Quebec plates. Maybe they misunderstood the RIV exemption- have you done this before yourself?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You will "temporarily import" ( and not register) car with Customs at border. You will register car and exchange US driving license with Canadian one at SAAQ ( Quebec equivalent of DMV).

You can drive your Quebec plated Car in USA. I did couple of times for short trips.

yahodahan

Oct 25, 2018
Okay! So would you recommend I drive out, then back through the Quebec side to get this done? I've been to the customs place twice and gotten different info each time.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
I also heard when you register your temporary imported car with SAAQ in Quebec, they take your US title and give you Quebec Registration?

Why would SAAQ take US title if the car is only here temporarily and was never permanently exported from the United States?
While going back to the US ( leaving Canada for good ), what would you tell US customs to ensure you can take your car into US and then re-register your car in US and get a US title?
I did this recently and got Form 1 with 0$ import for 2 years and going for registration next month , but I am hearing from my friend they take your US title?
I have read in some other forums they stamp your US title and take your US registration? So I am not sure what’s true? Can you please share some light on this?

yahodahan

Oct 25, 2018
Hi- in my case, yes they took the title to hold until I return to the US. Oddly, they took it for my truck ... but not for my motorcycle. Honestly it's just a mess here in Quebec. My business partner who transferred after me, was told over and over "yes, you must do a full import", luckily I had told him my exact actions, and given him the papers from the border where the officer had highlighted the laws. He was able to prove the clerk had it wrong ... but that's just crazy, should not be his problem to learn and educate the government officials.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Exactly. Ok so when you register in Quebec they took your US title and gave you Quebec registration. Did you need to pay registration cost and provincial taxes for that or only just paid for registration? Thanks for highlighting that I would keep a copy of my US title and registration before going to the SAAQ then. As when you go back to the US you would then exchange your Quebec license , registration for US title , US license and with the copy i guess you would be able tell US customs that you never exported it permanently.

Last edited:

tertiaryworld

Dec 6, 2020
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing great!

I have a situation with Car Import and your help is greatly appreciated.

I moved from the USA as a permanent resident recently and trying to import my car. My car was moved to Canada by carrier and I didn't drive it myself through the border. When I initiated RIV Form2 process, I was told by RIV that my car is RIV exempt due to work visa. I am not sure who made a mistake is it moving company or CBSA because I provided my CoPR to the moving company.

Noticeable points are that movers did ITN# and the car title has stamp which is very light inked to read but it looks like "US Vehicle Export" and then date etc.

Wondering if my car is permanently exported from the USA? if yes, then should I just go to the CBSA office and get the New Form1 without exception?

In case, it is temporarily exported from the USA, then what should I do? I am not USA resident/citizen, therefore, me crossing the border and doing the permanent export won't be possible.

TIA!!

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Thank you for the info- so what do I tell Quebec customs? They are adamant that I must register the vehicle. Do I register it with them, and simply skip the import/export process? I almost did this, but they told me I would be in trouble with the US if I crossed the border with Quebec plates. Maybe they misunderstood the RIV exemption- have you done this before yourself?
This is what I did when I moved for a permit < 36 months without exporting from US. But if you did export it from USA( or your career did) then that's done and you may have not get a temporary import at CBSA Border as if you permanently import then you need to pay duties / import etc.

When I arrived at the border , border officers were not letting me go and asked me to go get the car exported from US and then only they will hand me over the Import Form 1. Glad I knew the laws and based on my temporary work permit of less than 36 months I was able to show them the conditions for temporary import which doesn't require a permanent US export and they gave me import form with temporary stay checked and yes you need to then register the Vehicle with SAAQ. If you have already the import form with exported I think all you can do is register and pay the import fees/title fees etc as if you can't drive back there's no way for you to get that corrected.

Well here are the steps to I took -
1. I found a location near me that does SAAQ mechanical inspection ( Longueuil Mazda). For this you need to make an appointment with them and carry all your documents like US license , car title , US registration and your Import Form 1. Once done they will give you a report . Everything was ok with my car and I didn't had to do any repairs and it might be different for others depending on how old the car is etc or in case of any issues . I was charged around 90-95$ for the inspection.
2. You have to call SAAQ to inform about your situation and request for an appointment for US license exchange and registration all on the same day. I suggest you first make the appointment for Inspection and as soon as you know the date for inspection appointment, call SAAQ for appointment after that date. I called SAAQ montreal helpline was given an appointment for SAAQ Henri-bourassa as looks like US DL exchange can only happen here for folks in Montreal.
3. On appointment day , take your car documents (Original US car title , US registration , import form 1 ( both copies 2 color formats), SAAQ mechanical inspection report ) , US licenses( current and expired ones too if you have them ), 5 year US driver history abstract from your US state/s( you can request online or via mail from US and this is very much needed otherwise they will not add your US experience and your insurance price will go through the roof and you'll not get G type license) , but if you don't have time show them your US licenses and ask them to pull your records. I am sure documents can be generated online from US dmvs websites so you can try to generate them if you don't have it.
4. Take a slot for DL exchange and registration.
They will check all your documents and issue you a temporary paper license there and original Quebec license you will get in mail. They will also take away your current US license. Ensure you take photocopies/scans of your current US license for your record keeping as you won't get your hands ever on the US license that they will take away. This is going to help if and when you want to head back to US.
5. Go to queue again for registration and they will check all your documents for the car that I mentioned above ( they will take 1 copy of import form 1 ) and they will take away only your US car title and issue you a Quebec registration and Quebec license plate. Ensure you keep scans/photocopies of your US car title and keep your current US registration safe and sound even if it gets expired. For both step 4/5 they will charge you money and i don't recall but in total i paid around 300$+ or something.
2 to 3 days before this appointment you sign up for Insurance policy and I used AllState Canada as they consider US experience as well and I am paying 85$ a month for 2016 Jeep Cherokee with all max out settings and also cancel your US car insurance. For insurance from US companies you used get your no claim or claim history and give it to your canada insurance company and that helps with discount as well.

One additional thing, check your US state law to ensure if they need your US plates back to csncel your state registration and cancel your plates as if they need it back and you don't send them back you'll be fined. If you have EZPass from US - update your license plate number there as well

Hope this helps . Let me know if you have any questions.

Chethan_blr

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Hi All

I moved from USA to Ontario, Canada in March 2019. when I moved imported my car temporarily i.e exempted from RIV process and registered car in Ontario by surrendering US title.

In May 2021, my status changed to permanent resident, and planning to import car permanently.. anyone did this ? could you please advise on the steps and share your experience ?

I do not have valid US Visa at this moment.

AtamaL

Jan 25, 2022
This is really helpful! But, I am most concerned with what happens when you return to the United States after the temporary import to Quebec. How can you re-register your car without US Customs border forms? You can only get those forms if you re-import your car.