+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IF I WERE YOU, and again IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD SEND IT IN!!! AND I WILL WRITE A COVER LETTER AS WELL!!!
Now, whether you are in the position to risk is it, is up to you!!!!

So decide for yourself.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
i agree with BobbyB. Besides, they do say that one can use 'other' standardized test for English proficiency letter. Isn't the academic IELTS the perfect 'other' standardized test.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rupeshhari said:
i agree with BobbyB. Besides, they do say that one can use 'other' standardized test for English proficiency letter. Isn't the academic IELTS the perfect 'other' standardized test.
And, I fully agree with Rupeshhari.
Actually, the difference b/w both tests is the Writing and Reading modules, which are tougher in the academic version.

coolguy001

Star Member
Oct 28, 2008
BobbyB said:
rupeshhari said:
Actually, the only difference b/w both tests is the Writing module, which is tougher in the academic version.
@BobbyB
there is a difference in reading module also between both tests....

GodBlessAll

May 3, 2009
Taking the IELTS general module never came to my thought. I made all the papers ready and I thought academin was good enough a proof as that was not an easy shot. Now I'm thinking of applying foo PR and sending the results of IELTS later after taking the exam in June.

Here is the excerpt from the cic website.
"Note: IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: General Training and Academic. You must take the General Training option."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

Thanks everybody

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
The application form has the arrow stating have you taken official language testing exam
Is it necessary to send IELTS scores to Sydney or they go with complete documents to local visa office

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jckdry said:
The application form has the arrow stating have you taken official language testing exam
Is it necessary to send IELTS scores to Sydney or they go with complete documents to local visa office
The local office with the 120 day letter.

PMM

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolguy001 said:
BobbyB said:
rupeshhari said:
Actually, the only difference b/w both tests is the Writing module, which is tougher in the academic version.
@BobbyB
there is a difference in reading module also between both tests....
Oh yes u r right, my mistake. I have corrected myself!!!

GodBlessAll

May 3, 2009
Just to let you know, I met a lawyer who said she took both academic and general modules and found academic to be tougher and so that might stand valid.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

GodBlessAll said:
Just to let you know, I met a lawyer who said she took both academic and general modules and found academic to be tougher and so that might stand valid.
And then why does CIC state you MUST take the general module?

PMM

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
PMM said:
Hi

GodBlessAll said:
And then why does CIC state you MUST take the general module?

PMM
One reason could be that they have created their table for english proficiency (ie points) based on the general exam and not on the academic exam. So for example, if one gets a 7 for reading in the general exam, the evaluators know exactly what that implies about someone's ability to read. If an applicant gets a 7 on academic, they may not know what it means.

Of course, i am only guessing. I don't know anyone personally who have been accepted or rejected based on academic or know anyone in CIC to say why they chose general over academic, etc.

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
Although Academic test is tougher than General and CIC should accept the results if they are within one year from the date of application. However, if I were in your position, I should have taken the General test also in order to be on the safe side. just don't give them any excuses to reject your application.