+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

May 3, 2017
You stayed at your friend’s house when you attended a conference in Australia. Unfortunately, you left a large envelope with some important documents in your room. Write a letter to your friend. In the letter:
thank your friend for the stay
describe where you left the envelope
ask him/her to return it to you by post

Dear Amy,

I am hoping you are in a great spirit upon receiving my letter. I am feeling grateful for your kindness for allowing me to stay at your house even if it was a last minute request. You have help me save time and effort in finding accommodation in a cold weather. Please do tell my appreciation to your parents, that I am thankful for their warm welcome and making me feel at home during my short stay.

I am about to ask another favour from you, I hope you do not mind. Due to my last minute packing, I have left my small laptop bag inside the closet. You will find a long brown envelope with a big W logo inside the bag. The envelop contains various confidential documents that are crucial to my project presentation in the office in two weeks time.

I am hoping you could help post the envelope to me this week. I will wire you the fees for the parcel delivery the soonest you let me know how much it will cost.

Thank you in advance for extending your helping hand with me again.

I am wishing you good health, and be always safe. I am looking forward to hear from you the soonest.

Yours sincerely,
Jhia
Task achievement is great I feel. Please reduce the word count to 170-180 only.

1. This is an informal letter so please put contractions
2. Some preposition errors: crucial to my = for
3. Informal letter is inconsistent sometimes: Thank you should be thanks, I am hoping you could = Can you ?
4 Sign off is wrong = See you soon etc
5. Article = not a weather, weather only
6. Punctuation = two weeks' time
7. Hear should be hearing, or simple I'll see you again shortly. Waiting for your quick revert. etc

aj534160

Apr 13, 2019
Hello @cansha @marosa I appeared last week, unfortunately, couldn't crack the required score in writing. Rest score are quite good. I'm appearing in a week or two weeks again. This time, I'm trying to focus more on content than complex grammar. Therefore, a review is requested. TIA

Nowadays students are given too much homework due to which they cannot learn other important skills in life. What is your opinion?

It is believed by many that excessive homework refrains pupils to instil many vital traits. However, I disagree with this notion as giving homework helps learners to improve their problem-solving abilities and make them disciplined and independent.

Giving assignments to solve from home enhances children’s problem-solving abilities. While I concede that homework tends to overburden students at home, extra time for leisure activities can divert their attention from studies. During school time, they are often under the supervision of teachers who help them to learn. However, at home, they mostly have to rely on their own. Therefore, while completing school work from home if they come across with any issue, they mostly have to solve it by themselves, which polishes their thinking abilities and makes them a problem solver.

Homework also makes children more disciplined and independent. As they have to divide their evening time between curricular and extra-curricular activities, they need to develop a time table. Not only do they need to design a schedule, but they also require to keep stick with it. If they do not follow the time table, they might have to cut their playtime, which they really do not want. Moreover, managing both activities increases their confidence and faith in their own abilities, which makes them independent.

To conclude, not only does homework help proteges to develop critical thinking, but it also makes them disciplined and independent. Therefore, on balance, while I concede that it might overburden children, the abilities they develop as a result are far more advantageous.
By the way, where did you write the exam?
And are you guys still venturing out and putting yourself at risk?

av4aviator

Jul 17, 2019
ABU DHABI
Category........
Dear friends,
Kindly rate the below essay. need all your valuable inputs.
@cansha @marosa @Vyn

As countries have developed there has been a trend towards smaller family sizes.
Why does this happen?
How does this affect society?

A wide known fact expresses while the countries are growing up, the size of the families is shrinking down, due to the current workplace, financial instability, and maintenance of the family. However, a reduction in family size has adverse effects on the children’s future and the traditional values of society.

To begin with, the primary reason for the size reduction is the shift in people’s workplace, such as most of the metropolitan city people migrated from their homeland, where their parents are still living. Secondly, unlike the past, the current volatility on the job markets restricts their financial growth. Therefore, parents prefer not to have more children. Besides, modern parents intend to provide quality education and a well-established lifestyle to their offspring. So having a large size of family, may seize their intention, as the living costs may rise further. To illustrate, having children of eight for a couple was common and acceptable in the previous generation, but now, considering more than one child becomes extremely difficult.

Consequently, as a result of tiny families, the cultural values and traditional rituals will not be transmitted to the future generation, since there are no elders associated with the current format of the modern family. Additionally, despite their knowledge in education, future children will have nil exposure to their social identity. Furthermore, youngsters might be misguided because of lacking parental guidance, such as elder's advice. For instance, kids at school nowadays are becoming introverted and reserved, since mostly they spend a lonely-time in their city-homes.

In short, in spite of the growth of the countries, people are encountering financial instability and shifting their homes to the larger cities to survive, which by default, breaking out the families to a small number. Subsequently, such a lifestyle, expose the kids to character detriment and insist the society lose the heritage values in the future.

kumaraks

Jun 29, 2020
Dear friends,

Can you please review this essay? Please provide your valuable feedback.
@H0peAndFa1th, @cansha

People are spending more hours at workplace in some countries. What are the positive and negative impacts of this trend?

Employees in certain countries tend to work extra when compared to their peers across the globe. This phenomenon has advantages and disadvantages both.

Individuals burning mid night oil in office gets recognition within organization that leads to promotion and increase in compensation. Because of this, Employees become responsible and loyal towards the company. Thus, helping organizations to achieve the long-term goals. More money at hand allows them to lead a comfortable life that creates a sense of achievement as they can fulfill their personal dream. Such High Net Worth individuals have more purchasing power and spend more that increases the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), by which economic stability of country is measured. Recently, Gartner surveyed CEOs of Fortune 1000 companies and 78% of them believe that a country prospers more if they have citizens who are willing to work overtime.

However, working extra hours has many detrimental effects on employees. They do not get enough time to exercise which impacts their health badly in long run. Such employees bring office work at home and curtail family time in order to complete the assignments so that project deadline can be met. They also do not have time to socialize with friends and are deemed to be a failure on personal front. Quite often, they are indulged in office politics and do not appreciate fellow colleagues in order to show their supremacy.

In conclusion, it can be said that working extra benefits individuals and country at large but one should also take care of health and personal life. Health is equally important to wealth, if not more.

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019
Dear friends,

Can you please review this essay? Please provide your valuable feedback.
@H0peAndFa1th, @cansha

People are spending more hours at workplace in some countries. What are the positive and negative impacts of this trend?

Employees in certain countries tend to work extra when compared to their peers across the globe. This phenomenon has advantages and disadvantages both.

Individuals burning mid night oil in office gets recognition within organization that leads to promotion and increase in compensation. Because of this, Employees become responsible and loyal towards the company. Thus, helping organizations to achieve the long-term goals. More money at hand allows them to lead a comfortable life that creates a sense of achievement as they can fulfill their personal dream. Such High Net Worth individuals have more purchasing power and spend more that increases the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), by which economic stability of country is measured. Recently, Gartner surveyed CEOs of Fortune 1000 companies and 78% of them believe that a country prospers more if they have citizens who are willing to work overtime.

However, working extra hours has many detrimental effects on employees. They do not get enough time to exercise which impacts their health badly in long run. Such employees bring office work at home and curtail family time in order to complete the assignments so that project deadline can be met. They also do not have time to socialize with friends and are deemed to be a failure on personal front. Quite often, they are indulged in office politics and do not appreciate fellow colleagues in order to show their supremacy.

In conclusion, it can be said that working extra benefits individuals and country at large but one should also take care of health and personal life. Health is equally important to wealth, if not more.
Are you sure this essay title is correct?
what means by more hours?more hours than standard time which is 8 hours?and why you write certain countries !does certain countries means some countries !

kumaraks

Jun 29, 2020
Are you sure this essay title is correct?
what means by more hours?more hours than standard time which is 8 hours?and why you write certain countries !does certain countries means some countries !
Yeah, it should not be certain. I got the essay topic from IELTS blog.

kumaraks

Jun 29, 2020
Hi Guys,

Can you please provide feedback on this essay? Thanking in advance.

With the increased global demand in oil and gas, undiscovered areas of the world should be opened to access more resources.

To what extend do you agree?

Recently, World has seen an unprecedented growth in energy consumption mainly led by growth in automobile sector. In order to meet the demand, companies are looking for new avenues to extract the fuel. In my opinion, exploring new areas for petroleum extraction is not good idea because it damages the environment.

Petroleum companies are seeking governments approval to explore undiscovered areas so that underground resources can be used to meet the high demand in petroleum products. They pay hefty bribe to environment department of respective country to get excavation approval. If approval is not provided, then it leads to illegal extraction which promotes black marketing in the economy resulting in major tax loss to the government.

As a result of excavation, large areas of forests are cut which destroys earth’s natural beauty. A sea exploration kills natural habitats and impacts the life cycle of many species living under water. For an instance, many species were killed because of recent oil spill by British Petroleum. Though, they were penalized for this, but it will take long time to recover from the destruction.

Lastly, the increase in exploration activity impacts global environment badly. The activity carried out during excavating releases harmful gases causing environmental imbalance which results in increased air pollution. This phenomenon impacts the ecosystem and results in global warming which causes heavy rain and drought across the countries. The increase in sea level because of arctic ice meltdown is a threat to many cities adjacent to seashores. For this reason, it has been predicted that countries like Maldives will be submerged under water in another 100 years.

In conclusion, the exploration of new areas for oil and gas extraction would impact environment badly and should not be carried out at any cost.

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Task achievement is great I feel. Please reduce the word count to 170-180 only.

1. This is an informal letter so please put contractions
2. Some preposition errors: crucial to my = for
3. Informal letter is inconsistent sometimes: Thank you should be thanks, I am hoping you could = Can you ?
4 Sign off is wrong = See you soon etc
5. Article = not a weather, weather only
6. Punctuation = two weeks' time
7. Hear should be hearing, or simple I'll see you again shortly. Waiting for your quick revert. etc
Thanks a ton for reviewing my work..will keep it mind all my mistakes

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
In some countries, owning a home rather than renting one is very important for people.
Why might this be the case?
Do you think this is a positive or negative situation?

Renting a house is never the initial choice of people in other countries. Majority of them prefer to have their own home because it provides a greater sense of security, peace of mind and freedom. I strongly agree that this kind of mindset has a positive effect in the person.

Firstly, living in a privately-owned house gives the person a sense of security and accomplishment. To some, they consider real estate as an investment since the market value of the house will rise in the future. It also helps in increasing funds for future use since there are no monthly obligations to pay for rental fees when you own a house.

Moreover, owning a home helps develop emotional well-being of the person. Some agrees that they feel more relaxed and comfortable owning a house since it provides flexibility in decorating the house and do interior changes, as well as, there are no restrictions on visitors. These situations are sometimes not the case when staying in a rental unit. For instance, þconflict arises between the landlord and the tenants due to misunderstandings relating to house rules.

Furthermore, it is an important factor for some to purchase their own house since they believe it is something that they can pass on to the future generation of their family.

To recapitulate, many people agree that it is important to own a home instead of renting. Owning a home develop positive energy to people. It helps the person to save a lot of money, develop sense of responsibility, and accomplishment.

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Hi kindly make remarks. Thank you.

You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about whether to go to college or to try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.
Write a letter to this friend. In your letter:
- say why he/she would not enjoy going to college
- explain why getting a job is a good idea for him/her
- suggest types of job that would be suitable for him/her

Write at least 150 words.

Dear Janna,

Hi, it's nice to hear from you. I'm glad that you are considering to either go to college or start looking for a job, either way, it simply means you will surely have a busy future ahead of you.

Since you are asking about my stand about this, I think you should try to gain some experience of having a job. College consumes a lot of time and energy, and we just finished our senior high. After all those years we completed, I know how toxic you are feeling right now about studying since I am.

You have an amazing talent in interacting with other people. I'm sure you will do great using this talent of yours in the job market. A job in a customer service or a receptionist position perhaps is a good choice. You may want to check Parkway Recreational Park website, I heard there is a job opening for a receptionist post.

I'm looking forward to receiving your reply and to know what you have decided to do. Until next time besty. Take care.

Cheers,

Divine

Last edited:

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Any feedback please..tia!

"On a recent holiday,you lost a valuable piece of jewellery. Fortunately you have travel insurance which covers the cost of any lost or damaged items.

Write a letter to the insurance company that

1) What item you lost
2) Explain how you lost it
3) Tell the insurance company what you would like them to do

Dear Sir,

I am writing to inform my unfotunate circumstances. I recently lost my heart-shaped necklace -a heirloom from my deceased mother, last Friday, 13th of June.

I was in a boat when I decided to take off my sunglasses and wipe my face. Unfortunately, my glasses got tangled to my necklace, resulting for it to drop in the river. My husband and I have tried to retrieve it but was unsuccesful.

With this predicament, I am hoping that the policy is applicable in my case. I would like to have the monetary equivalent of my lost necklace so I can use the funds to ask an expert to remake my necklace. I can give you my bank details in person, just let me know when is the best time to drop by your office.

I am thankful for your kind consideration and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours truly,

Ms Diane Park

sara_H_JDT

Dec 28, 2019

"On a recent holiday,you lost a valuable piece of jewellery. Fortunately you have travel insurance which covers the cost of any lost or damaged items.

1) What item you lost

Dear Sir,

I am writing to inform my unfotunate circumstances. I recently lost my heart-shaped necklace -a heirloom from my deceased mother, last Friday, 13th of June.

I was in a boat when I decided to take off my sunglasses and wipe my face. Unfortunately, my glasses got tangled to my necklace, resulting for it to drop in the river. My husband and I have tried to retrieve it but was unsuccesful.

With this predicament, I am hoping that the policy is applicable in my case. I would like to have the monetary equivalent of my lost necklace so I can use the funds to ask an expert to remake my necklace. I can give you my bank details in person, just let me know when is the best time to drop by your office.

I am thankful for your kind consideration and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours truly,

Ms Diane Park

1) What item you lost

Dear Sir,

Yours truly,

Ms Diane Park
Sorry to say this ,But please try to write a standard letter
These titles I am wonder ,almost it seems to me , you write for your own , then try to solve it .
Be careful , those 3 bullet points are extremely crucial for expanding and developing , While there are not sufficient matter, You could not be able to write based on them .
Other suggestion is trying to find from authentic trainer's topics
and please challenging with at least rational and logical topic
How possible insurance company respond for lost item . Not all topic has worth and valuable for practicing.However,I accept this challenge and start to write for my own .I'll send it

May 3, 2017
Dear friends,
Kindly rate the below essay. need all your valuable inputs.
@cansha @marosa @Vyn

As countries have developed there has been a trend towards smaller family sizes.
Why does this happen?
How does this affect society?

A wide known fact expresses while the countries are growing up, the size of the families is shrinking down, due to the current workplace, financial instability, and maintenance of the family.

Your first line should demonstrate paraphrasing and should convey the same meaning. You should avoid "A wide known fact" and similar expressions. Reasons should be given in the second line.

The trend of smaller families is mainly adopted nowadays instead of joint families as a result of development in countries. This is mainly due to ......., which is beneficial/detrimental to the society..

However, a reduction in family size has adverse effects on the children’s future and the traditional values of society. : I have seen in the first paragraph that there are 5 topics you have introduced. Now lets see how you explain everything.

To begin with, the primary reason for the size reduction is the shift in people’s workplace, such as most of the metropolitan city people migrated from their homeland, where their parents are still living. Secondly, unlike the past, the current volatility on the job markets restricts their financial growth. Therefore, parents prefer not to have more children. Besides, modern parents intend to provide quality education and a well-established lifestyle to their offspring. So having a large size of family, may seize their intention, as the living costs may rise further. To illustrate, having children of eight for a couple was common and acceptable in the previous generation, but now, considering more than one child becomes extremely difficult.

current workplace, financial instability, and maintenance of the family. = there are 3 different topics here you mentioned. You have written only the first one (written, not extended and developed), financial instability should be increase in living costs simply. (you have explained it in some detail and it is good, but putting with the first point - current workplace- there is no relevancy to this. If you have different opinions -choose first and then introduce, extend, explain and give example of that in one para. Here your one para means "modern......difficult only.
Do not ever mix ideas as there is high chance of move away from TA, Lexical and Cohesion. Keep it simple and explain one point.
Maintenance is a result I guess, not idea.

Consequently, as a result of tiny families, the cultural values and traditional rituals will not be transmitted to the future generation, since there are no elders associated with the current format of the modern family. Additionally, despite their knowledge in education, future children will have nil exposure to their social identity. Furthermore, youngsters might be misguided because of lacking parental guidance, such as elder's advice. For instance, kids at school nowadays are becoming introverted and reserved, since mostly they spend a lonely-time in their city-homes.

In short, in spite of the growth of the countries, people are encountering financial instability and shifting their homes to the larger cities to survive, which by default, breaking out the families to a small number. Subsequently, such a lifestyle, expose the kids to character detriment and insist the society lose the heritage values in the future.