+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

MandeepKumarSharma

Jul 17, 2018
Can somebody share structure they followed to get band 7 or more in writing? I have given test twice got 6.5 I was following Liz premium videos. Now, I started following E2english youtube videos. I have also seen band 7, 7.5, 8 and 9 sample essays available on IDP, BC and IELTS official websites, they also seem different. I am confused about the structure to follow. I just want assurance from a person who followed some structure and was successful in achieving 7.

MandeepKumarSharma

Jul 17, 2018
Can somebody share structure they followed to get band 7 or more in writing? I have given test twice got 6.5 I was following.......
I am confused mostly in:
  • In Agree or disagree type essay:
  1. What should be the thesis statement?
  2. Should we dedicate one BP for one reason/advantage?
  3. Do we need to talk about the opposing idea? If yes, how much? A full BP or in only in the conclusion.
  • Same questions as above for To what extent do you agree.
  • In Discuss and give you opinion.
    1. In which paragraph we give our opinion?
    2. When we write a body paragraph with which we agree, do we write in a way that I agree with the opinions presented here?
  • In 'problems and solutions' AND 'reasons and opinions' essay.
    1. What is the thesis statement?
    2. What comes in the conclusion?
    3. Is a single reason or solution enough?
  • Is a general line important in an introduction?
  • Should we write a concluding line at the end of BPs?
  • While some say Topic sentence should be a simple sentence which connects back to to the question, others say to start a BP with topic sentence and explanation should be combined in a complex sentence. Which way is more beneficial?
Sorry for the so many questions. I hope somebody will clear my doubts.

Last edited:

Yumna

Jun 30, 2019
I am confused mostly in:
  • In Agree or disagree type essay:
  1. What should be the thesis statement?
  2. Should we dedicate one BP for one reason/advantage?
  3. Do we need to talk about the opposing idea? If yes, how much? A full BP or in only in the conclusion.
  • Same questions as above for To what extent do you agree.
  • In Discuss and give you opinion.
    1. In which paragraph we give our opinion?
    2. When we write a body paragraph with which we agree, do we write in a way that I agree with the opinions presented here?
  • In 'problems and solutions' AND 'reasons and opinions' essay.
    1. What is the thesis statement?
    2. What comes in the conclusion?
    3. Is a single reason or solution enough?
  • Is a general line important in an introduction?
  • Should we write a concluding line at the end of BPs?
  • While some say Topic sentence should be a simple sentence which connects back to to the question, others say to start a BP with topic sentence and explanation should be combined in a complex sentence. Which way is more beneficial?
Sorry for the so many questions. I hope somebody will clear my doubts.
i am in the same boat.
hopefully somebody answers

Reactions: MandeepKumarSharma

aman_0009

Dec 9, 2017
Dear @cansha

Can u please evaluate my essay? Thanks in Advance.

The government's investment in arts, music and theatre is a waste of money. Governments should invest these funds in public services instead. To what extent do you agree with this statement ?

It is often argued that government should finance public services rather than wasting budget on art, music and theatre. However, my views are in strong contrast with the given statement. I elucidate my stand in subsequent paragraphs.

At the outset, most conspicuous reason which reinforce my perception is that arts, theatre and music help in the growth of economy in numerous ways. Since, people from different countries often travel to attend/ take part in theatre ,drama and music concerts. As a result, spending of those visitors add on to local economy. Further substantial viewpoint is these skills like art and music often create plethora of employment opportunities. Here, an empirical evidence reveals that music industry alone is contributing almost 25% to employment opportunities among youngsters. Hence, government cannot think of ignoring investments to music, art and theatre industry.

In addition to the aforementioned ideas, another worthwhile standpoint is that these skills help in upgrading the status of the nation. To be specific, a country who has more talented and unique citizens in terms of arts and theatre can be leader in that particular industry. Therefore, major chunk of government budget should be invested on it. Furthermore, music/art/theatre should be become a compulsory subject in every school. As per mentioned according to the survey done by prestigious media group, almost one third of the british students opted either in music or art as their career choice. Consequently, many of them became very successful in their field.

In conclusion, it is quite discernible from the above mentioned explanation that my inclination towards endorsing this matter is justified as this can only be possible if governing bodies keep supporting arts, music and theatre financially.

Yumna

Jun 30, 2019
Dear @cansha, please rate this
Some people think that exercise the key to health while others feel that having a balanced diet is more important. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.

It is thought by some that physical activity is essential to stay healthy while others think that dietary sustenance plays a vital role. In my opinion, regular exercise and balanced diet both, is the key towards a good health.

Frequent exercise is a beneficial factor to health as it keeps a person active throughout the day. Lack of exercise makes a person lazy and increases the risk of health-related issues. In other words, people who do regular workout are at lower risk of heart diseases as compared to those who do not exercise at all. For this reason, sport or gym is truly essential towards a healthy lifestyle and should become a daily habit to reduce the strain on the health care system.

On the other hand, eating a well-balanced meal is considered to be most effective for health. Not taking enough nutrition or eating too much fatty food can deteriorate health. For instance, in West, obesity is found mostly in teenagers due to eating junk food, which will later in life can lead to serious life-threatening diseases. Limiting the amount of fat and restricting the portion size can aid in healthy living for the coming generation too.

Finally, exercise alone cannot lead to good health as a proper diet needs to be followed along with it. In addition, exercise contributes 30% of the health and the remaining 70% comes from the food intake.

In conclusion, exercise and well-balanced meal are the two combined contributing factors to manage health and weight both.
Word count-279 words

yoloraw

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
To @cansha @H0peAndFa1th ,

I am writing to submit my essay task 2 for checking and evaluation. Please find my essay question and answer below.

Thanks in Advance!!

Question: Some people believe that education success is based on good teachers and other believe that it depends on Students attitude. Discuss both the views and give your opinion.

Answer:

Although some people think that educational success is based on good teachers, others claim that it depend up on students’ attitude. In my opinion, both good tutors and positive attitude of students, are highly indispensable in the overall development of the education system, depending upon their responsibilities for building up a strong skillful nation.

To begin with, some people believe that a good teacher can create a successful education system. One evident reason behind this is that teachers have teaching skills and creative ideas in order convey right meaning of various diverse topics. All complex theories and algorithms can easily be manifested by them. For example, teachers can teach complex physics equations by using their own methods. Which, however, hard to understand by individuals without a good teacher. Another point to consider is that tutors have main responsibility of teaching because this is their main profession. Therefore, if they does their job well, it will definitely be convenient for students to fetch the complex meanings of various different contents.

On the other hand, some people consider the right attitude of students for the success of education. This is because if students does not study with a required mindset, it is inevitable to add anything in their knowledge. Therefore, a positive, goal oriented attitude is highly required. Nowadays, rich students never listen to their teachers and often spend time outside. Because of their stubborn attitude, they sometimes show dis-respect to their teachers. Therefore, good behavior is immensely vital for building a positive learning environment in the classrooms.

Finally, in my view, both good teachers and students' attitude have their own crucial importance. As human beings, they often do not value each other's emotions. Hence, education system require participation from both sides. While teachers should use their techniques and methodologies in order to convey their meaning effectively, students should learn those subjects with more generic attitude.

To reiterate, while people may vary in their opinions, I believe that for a successful strong education system, both good teachers and students respect each other's duties equally.

Skitles

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hello everyone.
Just curious. Is it possible to attain a flawless '9' in IELTS Writing?
I got an 8.5. So just kinda want to know.

TIA. :)
I thought having a score above 8 is a myth! May I ask you for a few things? I want to max out my writing score but I'm stuck at 7. I've read many band 8 & 9 samples online but the samples vary to a great deal and I'm not even sure if those are really good samples to rely on.
So... may I ask:
1. How many words did you write for both tasks?
2. What's the general structure you use for task 2?
3. Do you have any tips?

Yumna

Jun 30, 2019
Plz solve my query as tomorrow is my exam.....I am stuck at 6.5 in writing general....In agree disagree essay,some sites mention that both bp's should include one side like if I agree with the essay , I must write points for agree in both bp.....some sites mention that if I am on agree side I should write it's points in first bp and in second bp , I should write points for others view that is disagree.....Plz help
Sorry for replying late
Hope your exam went well.
According to my knowledge, if you have agreed to one point then you will mention two reasons using two BP as why you agreed.

hsn005

Star Member
Nov 29, 2014
Sir @cansha and @H0peAndFa1th . please evaluate my essay.
Some people say that now we can see films on our phones or tablets there is no need to go to the cinema. Others say that to be fully enjoyed, films need to be seen in a cinema. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

It is believed by some people that cinemas are no more useful as movies can be watched on mobile phones, however, others think that films can be seen in a cinema with immense pleasure. In my opinion, improved sound quality and widescreen in cinema make the movies more tempting to watch, while portable devices can be used for watching movies anywhere and everywhere.

Firstly, modern lifestyle has made the lives extremely busy that one hardly finds enough time to go to the cinema halls to watch their favourite movies. Consequently, the portable technological devices namely mobile phones and tablets offer much feasible yet practical option to see the movies on their tiny screen. For instance, downloading of Google apps for online movies has been increased at a high rate in the last five years which shows that people nowadays prefer to watch the films in the comfort of their own place.

On the other hand, the movie theatres are well-equipped with the latest technology machines and sound system to show the pictures with excellent digital effects and improved sound quality on a huge screen without any interruption. Undoubtedly, these parameters aid to enhance the entertainment and thrill factors of the movies for the cinema-goers. Similarly, it is commonly seen that the movies of action genre are mostly viewed in the cinema halls to enjoy fully fighting and visual effects scenes on the up-to-date silver screen.

In conclusion, people take pleasure in watching films on phones or mini computers owing to their hectic schedule, but in my opinion, if they want to see the pictures with better sound quality and digital effects, they should go to the theatres.

hsn005

Star Member
Nov 29, 2014
Sorry for replying late
Hope your exam went well.
According to my knowledge, if you have agreed to one point then you will mention two reasons using two BP as why you agreed.
yes u r right. see IELTSLIZ blog. she has done the same

Milan Desai

Oct 17, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Dear all,

can anyone somebody evaluate my writing:

essay : adults do less exercise these days, some people say that showing events like Olympic and world cup on television encourage adults to exercise while others say that there are other ways to encourage adults to exercise.
Discuss both view and give your opinion.

Answer:

It is irrefutable to say that many grown ups are less active in physical activities in recent times. Many individuals believe that by telecasting major international sporting events such as the World Cup and Olympic would motivate them towards sports, however others had the opinion that there are many other alternative ways to persuade them towards exercise. The following paragraphs would shed light on both the approaches before making final note on my perspective with an apt example.

To embark with the first notion, there are myriad things to be shared in its favours. The primary one is that national athletes have a high fan following in the millions and many younger ones idealise their athlete. Thus, showing them performing live at an international level for a country would motives many youngsters towards games and physical exercise. As a result, more and more youthful will indulge in pastime as it gives them an opportunity to represent their nation on the world stage. To illustrate this, after The Olympic Games in China, sport club membership has seen an upsurge of 50% with the majority of members are above adulthood.

Shifting towards the second school of thought, many people believe that government plays a pivotal role in encouraging majors towards sport by offering them free training facilities and financial aid. Therefore, adults would be attracted towards physical activities, as result they can see games as an alternative career. Furthermore, the majority of adults spend major time in office work and commuting to work. As a result, leaves them with no times for exercise and physical activities. Consequently, organizing recreation events on a regular basis by companies provide opportunities for adults to participate in fun and games activities which can increase their fitness massively rather than watching games on television. For example, In India many IT firms organize marathon competitions annually to promote athletics in their employees.

To recapitulate, in the contemporary era youthful is less active in recreation, many sections of society believe that by showing sporting events on TV would encourage them to exercise, I would like to infer that there are many other ways to engage people towards physical activities likes free training facilities and organizing games events at work places which are more suitable in the long term.

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Please kindly mark my work.

Question: Some people believe that education success is based on good teachers and other believe that it depends on Students attitude. Discuss both the views and give your opinion.

Answer:

Majority of people would agree that education is crucial to be successful in life. It is indeed debatable that students' achievement in learning were due to self- motivation, or because of the efficiency of the educators.
In my opinion, both are equally important.

Firstly, educators all across the globe, were highly knowledgeable, well experienced, and equally passionate to disseminate a vast range of concepts and theories to all learners, regardless of the age. Moreover, educators engaged with the learners actively. Having sincere attachment and involvement with the learners achievement, educators have resulted for them to design individualised and innovative approach in teaching. At the end of the course, the learners gain from it.

Secondly, yes, a learner's attitude is something to agree with. Intrinsic motivation to accomplish goals, also contributes on academic success. Determination, perseverance, and self-control are the three characteristics that equate to success in any field. Nevertheless, if a learner is intellectually advanced but is lacking of these three, end result, he will face failures in the near future.

To recapitulate, academic success is dependent both to educators and learners. Educators were present during the learning process to give guidance and mentor the learners. On the other hand, learners gain important skills all through out the course of studying -intrinsic and extrinsic factors- that would be a great platform for them to achieve in life.

Vyn

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Question:
adults do less exercise these days, some people say that showing events like Olympic and world cup on television encourage adults to exercise while others say that there are other ways to encourage adults to exercise.

Discuss both view and give your opinion.

Answer:
One of the major issues that needed solution is the concern about obesity since there was a decline of people engaging in regular exercise. Some will agree that international events such as Olympics, and Football World Cup televised across the countries would entice people to be active. On the other note, some suggested that there are other approach to solve the issues. I will discuss further my points about the issue.

International events such as Olympic, and World Cup series are a good platform to spread awareness of the benefits of having a heathy body. Since athletes regularly exercise and engage in extremely healthy diet. When media interview these athletes, they do share their regime and self discipline each need to follow. Viewers would learn these techniques and would apply it in their daily lives. It is agreeable that this approach is only a fraction of other strategies to encourage people to live a healthy lifestyle.

To further reiterate, other strategies to venture to is by upgrading community parks. Equipping parks with easily accessible training tracks, and equipment meant for adults in different intense level would highly encourage them to engage in outdoor physical activities. More often, adults have their own family to care for and that financial stability is mostly the concern. Some do not have funds to go to a gym. Local government should develop community based facilities with minimal to no fees, to highly motivate the adults to live healthy. The same approach has been adapted in Singapore. Increasing awareness and advocacy of healthy lifestyle using different social medias would also add on.

To recapitulate, using media and televising international events increase the probability of the adults to exercise. It helps increasing fandom, and with that reason, it results for the adult to follow their idols healthy regime. Other strategies and approaches such as, developing community parks, and increasing healthy awareness will add on as motivating factors for the adults to exercise. In my view, any strategies are helpful and meaningful.

Asbah

Oct 27, 2019
@cansha @Hopeandfaith1992

Kindly evaluate.
Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.
Discuss both these views, and give your opinion.

There is a view that is necessary for under graduates to take courses that relate to science and state-of -the -art technology, which will be beneficial in the long run. Whereas it may benefit them, I side with those who feel that students ought to choose subjects of their interest.

On the one hand, it is argued that restriction post graduates for the selection of subjects to learn will give success later on. If a student will only select science subjects such as medicine, it would turn out to be a highly paid job in her professional career. To give a clear example, mothers and fathers, in particular, force their sons or daughters to study dentistry and bachelors of surgery. Furthermore, they believe that this approach will help their offsprings to easily get a job and they would not have to suffer to hunt for a lot of jobs for their fruitful career.

On the other hand, I support the argument of allowing every student to study whatever they want. This is because it will help them to flourish and to be more successful in their lives. Unlike in the past, people today are much more aware of the new rising fields all over the globe. Therefore, they prefer more to acquire recent experty rather than following the same old trend. For case a point, artists’ mind will always be more concentrated towards skillful drawings and paintings in spite of same learning theoratical studies. In addition to this, multiple professions would result in better nation as a whole, which will further support to heighten the economy of a country.

In conclusion, although science and technologies has made a huge impact in the world, I believe that we should only select courses of our attraction.

AB17

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Here are the common problems I have observed in recent essays:
1. Wrong word usage. Question is about adults, essay talking about youth. In one instance, first body paragraph even mentions above the adulthood. That would be elderly people. Another one, intro mentions under graduates, first body paragraph mentions post graduates.
2. Writing lengthy essays. One was almost touching 400. In test scenario you have only 40 minutes for task 2. Be little realistic.
3. Memorized sentences are complete NO-NO. I actually was erasing all such sentences from one recent essay and the final output had much better sound to it and would have got 7 in test.
4. Grammatical mistakes. Evaluators here can’t help in that section, kindly improve on personal basis.
5. High-end English. One recent essay had so many difficult words it was border-line distraction to read. IELTS expect high school level english not PhD level. Keep it simple.

Sharing my personal agony... Without following any of the formats available online, i scored 7 in first attempt. Believe me, I did no solid preparation just random reading online and gave the test in haste. And in subsequent attempts, scored 6.5. I thought my 7 was a fluke and started looking at online formats. Probably, they ruined me.