IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

velocityblood

Star Member
Jan 4, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
This is new to me. if we write one adv/disadv, then are we supposed to write one problem and solution, even though the prompt uses plural?! Can anyone with experience of getting good bands with this approach confirm it?? It would be a great help since it gets hard to write 4 ideas and keep a check on word count as well!

Anyone?
Hope you are aware of what a problem and solution essay is and how it is different from advantage and disadvantage essay? When the thumb rule is to write one central idea and develop it completely for any type of essay, there is no room for writing more than 1 idea, however based on your capability to write and expand multiple ideas you can do so.

How I answer this question is, writing something in the essay like "Despite the many advantages I believe that the main advantage is ABC and the primary disadvantage is XYZ, then explain only the main idea.

basharat01

Mar 4, 2019
Hope you are aware of what a problem and solution essay is and how it is different from advantage and disadvantage essay? When the thumb rule is to write one central idea and develop it completely for any type of essay, there is no room for writing more than 1 idea, however based on your capability to write and expand multiple ideas you can do so.

How I answer this question is, writing something in the essay like "Despite the many advantages I believe that the main advantage is ABC and the primary disadvantage is XYZ, then explain only the main idea.
i totally agree that writing 2 ideas in two paras is a lot easier, but my confusion is that the e2language.com tutot Jay suggests two double-idea paragraphs in adv/disadv and problem-solution essay. And i have watched other videos which suggest the same approach.

I guess in problem-solution essay, writing a problem and its solution in BP1 and another problem and its solution in BP2 looks appropriate, doesn't it?

Reactions: tinu28111987

Jagjeet_anttal

Mar 26, 2019
India
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-03-2022
Nomination.....
17-01-2022
AOR Received.
03-03-2022
Med's Done....
03-03-2022
Hi all
Can someone please review and provide your suggestions. I will be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

Some people believe that it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Other argue that it is better to try and improve such situations.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Some people are of opinion that one should embrace the current situation even if they are not happy from their work or are facing financial difficulties. While other think that you should have a never give up attitude and always thrive to improve situations. I personally agree to the latter point of view. In this essay i will show both perspectives.

Firstly, i will discuss about those who do not want to change the situation even if they are not staisfied with their work life and are having funds problems. Possible reason for this state of mind could be that they might have tried thier best but still were not able to achieve desired outcomes. Being disappointed they give up and try to be happy with whatever they have.

On the other hand, there are individuals with their hard working attitude who never give up and always stay motivated to bring best of the situations. There is a saying," God help those who help themselves" and it is very true. The never give up attitude does not only help to improve our lifestyle in terms of career and subsequently bank balance but also helps to bring best out of the life.

To sum up i would like to say that each person himself is responsible for the situation he is in whether it is good or bad and one must not get comfortable with such circumstances where he is lagging behind in life. Each person should give their best to try and make his lifestyle better and must keep working hard until favorable outcomes are achieved.

velocityblood

Star Member
Jan 4, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
i totally agree that writing 2 ideas in two paras is a lot easier, but my confusion is that the e2language.com tutot Jay suggests two double-idea paragraphs in adv/disadv and problem-solution essay. And i have watched other videos which suggest the same approach.
Ok, in that case you should stick to one tutor and follow what you have learned. I learned from IELTS Advantage and Chris Pell's approach is different. Changing the tutor is not recommended.

I guess in problem-solution essay, writing a problem and its solution in BP1 and another problem and its solution in BP2 looks appropriate, doesn't it?
For problem solution essay, Chris Pell suggests that we should discuss the problem in BP1 and Solution in BP2. So again difference in approach can be seen. This is the reason I said we should not get our essays evaluated from different persons.

AB17

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Structuring essay is a just a process to give logical and thoughtful flow to essay. It helps you to write in a better manner thats it. There is no right and wrong structure... i have seen model essays getting 9 which didn't follow any available structures online.

velocityblood

Star Member
Jan 4, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Structuring essay is a just a process to give logical and thoughtful flow to essay. It helps you to write in a better manner thats it. There is no right and wrong structure... i have seen model essays getting 9 which didn't follow any available structures online.
Yes I agree. Even followed by 99.9% of the aspirant is the approach to paraphrase the essay prompt in intro paragraph. The reason why tutors suggest to paraphrase is because the introduction should not deviate from the actual essay statement. If one is supposed to write the intro in his/her own words chances are they end writing something out of the scope of essay and hence the whole essay is off topic. So it is all about understanding and writing skills.

Ashinder

Aug 19, 2018
Please evaluate the below essay @dotslash227 ,@pranav_singla055 ,@cansha

ESSAY
Q.Despite improvement in vehicle technology, there are still large number of road accidents.Explain some of the causes of these accidents and suggest some measures that could be taken to address this problem.

With the advent of technology in every walk of our life, vehicles are no more exception.Nowadays we see a dramatic change in the automobile industry with the introduction of new technology.It helps in providing better safety features and luxury to drivers as well as to the passengers.However it has also been proved as bean for the people due to proliferating number of accidents.

First and foremost reason of increasing misshappening on highways is due to acceleration.Improved technology and refinement in thhe vehicle engines gives freedom to the drivers to drive cars at fast pace which results in collisions or accidents.As it is well said "Speed thrills but it kills" holds true as on daily basis there are plethora of causalities happens because of high velocity of the vehicles. Secondly , the miserable condition of roads is also responsible for the accidents.The roads are not capable to cater the vehicles which results in incessant increase in road mishaps.Last but not the least and perhaps the most common cause is the negligence of traffic rules.

In contrast, there are various ways through which this deplorable situation can be brought under control.The government should step forward and create awareness among the citizens to follow rules and should make stringent rules for getting a new driving license.In addition to this, the automobile industry should put caping on the vehicles speed so that people do not drive cars beyond a certain speed limit.Furthermore , the authorities should install speed cameras on roads to keep an eye on rash drivers.Moreover the government should spent money on revamping the deteriorating roads and build more flyovers to accommodate increasing automobiles.

In a nutshell, the above measures can help us in decreasing the rate of accidents however we cannot stop them completely.Additionally it becomes the responsibility of every individual to obey and respect the traffic rules while driving two or four wheelers.If we want to make this world a better place to live, in that case we must change ourselves first.

Thanks in advance...........

Last edited:

AB17

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
ESSAY
Q.Despite improvement in vehicle technology, there are still large number of road accidents.Explain some of the causes of these accidents and suggest some measures that could be taken to address this problem.

With the advent of technology in every walk of our life, vehicles are no more exception.(Incomplete sentence) Nowadays we see a dramatic change in the automobile industry with the introduction of new technology.It helps in providing better safety features and luxury to drivers as well as to the passengers.However it has also been proved as bean for the people due to proliferating (i think it means expanding or reproduce, dont know if it can be used in this context)number of accidents.

First and foremost reason of increasing misshappening on highways (only highways?) is due to acceleration (of?).Improved technology and refinement in the vehicle engines gives freedom to the drivers to drive cars at fast pace which results in collisions or accidents(accidents happen because of negligence or distraction not just because car can be driven at high speeds) .As it is well said "Speed thrills but it kills" holds true as on daily basis there are plethora of causalities happens happening because of high velocity of the vehicles. An example would have summed up you body paragraph rather than next two points. Secondly, the miserable condition of roads is also responsible for the accidents.The roads are not capable to cater the vehicles which results in incessant increase in road mishaps.Last but not the least and perhaps the most common cause is the negligence of traffic rules. (Prompt was talking about accidents happening despite vehicle technology improvements how is the reasoning of road infrastructure valid here)

In contrast, there are various ways through which this deplorable situation can be brought under control.The government should step forward and create awareness among the citizens to follow rules and should make stringent rules for getting a new driving license.(how would it address speed issue)In addition to this, the automobile industry should put caping on the vehicles speed so that people do not drive cars beyond a certain speed limit. Furthermore, the authorities should install speed cameras on roads to keep an eye on rash drivers.(this should have been the mail point and followed by creating awareness) Moreover the government should spent money on revamping the deteriorating roads and build more flyovers to accommodate increasing automobiles.(unnecessary)

In a nutshell In Conclusion, the above measures can help us in decreasing the rate of accidents however we cannot stop them completely. Additionally it becomes the responsibility of every individual to obey and respect the traffic rules while driving two or four wheelers. If we want to make this world a better place to live, in that case we must change ourselves first. (weak conclusion where did you talk about speed here which was your main point in paragraph 1)

Reactions: Ashinder

AB17

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
I usually wait for Hope and Cansha to review essays because they are more experienced with IELTS way of writing.

When i read essays i look from perspective of an average reader with some knowledge of IELTS and i have given it only one time that too with average prepration. Also, my work involves lot of writing so i can understand some nitty-gritties of writing essays too.

Jagjeet_anttal

Mar 26, 2019
India
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-03-2022
Nomination.....
17-01-2022
AOR Received.
03-03-2022
Med's Done....
03-03-2022
Hi all
Can someone please review and provide your suggestions. I will be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

Some people believe that it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Other argue that it is better to try and improve such situations.

Some people are of opinion that one should embrace the current situation even if they are not happy from their work or are facing financial difficulties. While other think that you should have a never give up attitude and always thrive to improve situations. I personally agree to the latter point of view. In this essay i will show both perspectives.

Firstly, i will discuss about those who do not want to change the situation even if they are not satisfied with their work life and are having funds problems. Possible reason for this state of mind could be that they might have tried their best but still were not able to achieve desired outcomes. Being disappointed they give up and try to be happy with whatever they have.

On the other hand, there are individuals with their hardworking attitude who never give up and always stay motivated to bring best of the situations. There is a saying," God help those who help themselves" and it is very true. The never give up attitude does not only help to improve our lifestyle in terms of career and subsequently bank balance but also helps to bring best out of the life.

To sum up i would like to say that each person himself is responsible for the situation he is in whether it is good or bad and one must not get comfortable with such circumstances where he is lagging behind in life. Each person should give their best to try and make his lifestyle better and must keep working hard until favorable outcomes are achieved.

AB17

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hi all

Some people are of opinion that one should embrace the current situation even if they are not happy from their work or are facing financial difficulties. While other think that you should have a never give up attitude and always thrive to improve situations. I personally agree to the latter point of view. In this essay i will show both perspectives. (filler sentences get negative marking)

Firstly, i will discuss about those who do not want to change the situation even if they are not satisfied with their work life and are having funds problems.(restatement) Possible reason for this state of mind could be that they might have tried their best but still were not able to achieve desired outcomes. Being disappointed they give up and try to be happy with whatever they have. (Thats it... )

On the other hand, there are individuals with their hardworking attitude who never give up and always stay motivated to bring best of the situations. There is a saying," God help those who help themselves" and it is very true. The never give up attitude does not only help to improve our lifestyle in terms of career and subsequently bank balance but also helps to bring best out of the life. (Examples missing)

To sum up In conclusion i would like to say (informal, essays are formal) i believe that each person himself is responsible for the situation he is in whether it is good or bad and one must not get comfortable with such circumstances where he is lagging behind in life. Each person should give their best to try and make his lifestyle better and must keep working hard until favorable outcomes are achieved.
Essay structure can vary but the basic ingredient of body paragraph is that it must have explanation and example sentences. Read more essays to get ideas before writing a new one.

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys,
It's motivating to see everyone helping each other.
I received my score as L/R/S/W - 9/8.5/7/6.5
This was my 3rd attempt.
I am going to sit for the exam next week again (4th time)
Till then, practice practice practice !!!!

Reactions: velocityblood

Ashinder

Aug 19, 2018
@dotslash227 , @cansha , @H0peAndFa1th Please Review....

Essay
Q.Nowadays children prefer electronic games to other games and toys?Why is it happening?Is it a positive or negative development.

In this technological era of emerging technology, electronic games are gaining momentum over the traditional games and children these days like to spent their leisure time playing these digital games because of plethora of benefits.Firstly, these smart games helps youngsters to improve their logical thinking and secondly they can play these games in realm of their comfort in contrast to older games.Considering the pros and cons of electronic games, I would not term it as a negative development but it is not totally positive either.

To begin with, there are many good reasons for the growing popularity of electronic games.On one hand it offers a range of games that offer both entertainment and edification.It is believed that some video games play an integral part in enhancing cognitive skills of children.Moreover there is a convenience that cannot be disregarded.Playing some traditional games require a large playground with suitable weather.However due to space crunch and other issues childrens are unable to access such basic combinations of outdoor games as a result youngster utterly prefer electronic games that are generally played at home.

On the contrary, there are certain beans of digital games.They are expensive and all parents may not be able to afford them.Furthermore, more dependency on electric games give birth to pernicious diseases like obesity in childrens because of paucity of physical activities.

In conclusion, I assert that electronic games help children to improvise their aptitude and intelligence level while traditional games helps them to stay fit.Both qualities are imperative for the childrens and it becomes responsibility of elders to aware the little ones about the significance of all types of games.

Thanks in advance............

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
@dotslash227 , @cansha , @H0peAndFa1th Please Review....

Essay
Q.Nowadays children prefer electronic games to other games and toys?Why is it happening?Is it a positive or negative development.

In this technological era of emerging technology, electronic games are gaining momentum over the traditional games and children these days like to spent their leisure time playing these digital games because of plethora of benefits.Firstly, these smart games helps youngsters to improve their logical thinking and secondly they can play these games in realm of their comfort in contrast to older games.Considering the pros and cons of electronic games, I would not term it as a negative development but it is not totally positive either.

To begin with, there are many good reasons for the growing popularity of electronic games.On one hand it offers a range of games that offer both entertainment and edification.It is believed that some video games play an integral part in enhancing cognitive skills of children.Moreover there is a convenience that cannot be disregarded.Playing some traditional games require a large playground with suitable weather.However due to space crunch and other issues childrens are unable to access such basic combinations of outdoor games as a result youngster utterly prefer electronic games that are generally played at home.

On the contrary, there are certain beans of digital games.They are expensive and all parents may not be able to afford them.Furthermore, more dependency on electric games give birth to pernicious diseases like obesity in childrens because of paucity of physical activities.

In conclusion, I assert that electronic games help children to improvise their aptitude and intelligence level while traditional games helps them to stay fit.Both qualities are imperative for the childrens and it becomes responsibility of elders to aware the little ones about the significance of all types of games.

Thanks in advance............
The intro : In this technological era of emerging technology -> Usage of technological makes your stence redundant. Correct : In this era of emerging technologies.

Task Achievement - The question is straight forward, is it a positive or negative development? This question expects you to choose a side, you can write the positives and negatives in body paragraphs, but in your conclusion and opinion, you are expected to choose a side. Typically, before you start writing the essay, you give 3-5 minutes to it's planning, try to come up with both, positives and negatives and base your conclusion and opinion on the basis of number of points you are able to come for each side.

Coherence and Coherence - It is fine, your paragraphs are appropriately written and in order and do not seem to be illogical.

Lexical Resources - It is also fine. You have used some uncommon words such as paucity, utterly, plethora, cognitive, realm, pernicious, which is good. However, avoid usage of words that are already mentioned in topic such as positive, negative, children, electronic, games, toys and use synonyms for them to get more points on lexical resources. Also, I feel that the word, utterly has been used in wrong manner, I would had avoid it's usage because it's a very strong negative word.

Grammatical Range and Accuracy - This is where you need to focus the most. You should write smaller, complex and compound sentences to score more. Also, I found certain noticeable mistakes with your grammar which would mark your essay down, such as:

1. there are many good reasons for the growing popularity of electronic games -> there are many good reasons for <omit the> growing popularity of electronic games.
2. Moreover there is a convenience that cannot be disregarded -> moreover, there is a convenience factor that should not be disregarded.
3. In conclusion, I assert that electronic games help children to improvise their aptitude and intelligence level while traditional games helps them to stay fit.Both qualities are imperative for the childrens and it becomes responsibility of elders to aware the little ones about the significance of all types of games. -> In conclusion, I believe that electronic games help children improve their aptitude and IQ, while traditional games, such as football/soccer, help them stay physically fit (note: when you say fit? how? physically or mentally?). Both qualities are essential for a child's development and I believe that is the responsibility of the elders to be informed about the benefits of such games.