+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
@baxa1981 and @cansha
Are you talking about examiners?
I' ve not known this fact. 40 essays in a couple hours is an overwhelming task. What will happen with the ones that are marked when examiners are exhausted, like the 30th to 40th ones? An Australian teacher who offers correction services says it would cost him 20 mins for 1 essay.
Yes talking about examiners and you’re correct. I don’t expect examiners to be at same energy level towards the end compared to first few essays

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Today, one teacher was talking about marking IELTS writing. He was saying that basically it's a rush job that he gets more than 40 papers in the evening and has to send back the next day. It sounded like that there is quite a bit of room for errors by markers if it's rushed like that.
That means the marker can only allocate around 5 minutes per paper, which should take him around 3 hours and a half to complete. That is extremely limited time to evaluate an entire paper fairly. May be they have been doing for so long, it has become second nature to them..?

priteshgondalia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Hi @cansha and @H0peAndFa1th
Can you please advise on this essay. Thank you so much.

Some people argue that formal education should start for children as early as possible, while others think that it should not start until 7 years of age. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.

Although it is often believed that children should start their education at an early age, there are some who consider the age of 7 a suitable age for starting primary studies. In my opinion, attending a kindergarten at the age of 3 to 7 can help young students learn basic fundamentals of education effectively.

Learning and understanding skills can be improved when youngsters start their early education at a very young age and I agree. This is owing to the fact that children's brain between 3 to 7 years old, is in the highest point of developing and expanding, which guarantees that any input would be processed, categorized and stored successfully by the brain. Take linguistic abilities, for instance, which are often learned by young children at this age. Therefore, students, who are allowed to attend pre-primary school and learn basic subjects, often do better in their future education.

However, it is sometimes thought that young students are not usually strong enough to face diverse school life obstacles, so it is better for them to start their education at the age of 7. When they face discriminatory behaviors from rebellion pupils or receive punishments from their teachers, children's mental and psychological developments tend to have detrimental impacts. This is because in such situations, they generally feel dishearten and stressed. Hence, in early days, spending adequate time with family can make them strong and prepared for a school life since they can easily learn how to face critical situations from their parent's experiences and advises.

To summarize, despite people having divergent views, I believe that young pupils ought to start their studies as soon as possible because an early development of their mind would make them accustomed to education and will continue to help them in their future. This is definitely more important than difficult situations faced by children at school as misbehaviors and harsh punishments can be eliminated by school authority by taking several strict steps.

Thank You,
Pritesh

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi @cansha and @H0peAndFa1th
Can you please advise on this essay. Thank you so much.

Some people argue that formal education should start for children as early as possible, while others think that it should not start until 7 years of age. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
Although it is often believed that children should start their education at an early age, there are some who consider the age of 7 a suitable age for starting primary studies. In my opinion, attending a kindergarten at the age of 3 to 7 can help young students learn basic fundamentals of education What does this even mean? effectively.
Introduction is pretty basic. No glimpse of both sides of the views or your opinion. They are just statements. The introduction may not hurt you but won't be helpful as well.

Now my question is Were you comfortable with the topic when you read it? My guess after reading the essay is No.

Second question .. do you think you have the best BP structure for the essay? Have you seen discuss both sides essay and give your opinion kind?
Let's dive in and see

Learning and understanding skills can be improved Can be improved?? Really. They haven't even learnt anything. What are they improving?

when youngsters start their early education at a very young age and I agree. I have seen this before and I'm not sure I told you this. Stop writing this way. Ending the sentences with I agree. Looks abrupt. Youngsters ... at a very young age sounds ... weird!!
I know many essay courses tell you to keep using different words to show you know synonyms. I, for one, don't believe in that. Especially when using synonyms makes it sound so weird. Use them if they make sense and feel natural ... else ditch them.

This is owing to the fact that children's brain between 3 to 7 years old, is in the highest point of developing and expanding, which guarantees that any input would be processed, categorized and stored successfully by the brain. I think I have read this line before in an essay on this very forum. Or may be I'm mistaken.

Take linguistic abilities, for instance, which are often learned by young children at this age. Therefore, students, who are allowed to attend pre-primary school and learn basic subjects, often do better in their future education.
The essay structure could be better.
The topic is Discuss both views and give your opinion. You are giving your opinion in the very first paragraph. You haven't yet discussed the other opinion. Ideal structure of the essay is

Intro
BP1- View 1
BP2 - View 2
BP3 - Your opinion
Conclusion
Now if your opinion is same as one of the views then write the other view first and then come to the view with which you agree. The paragraph structure is fine but the flow could be better.

However, it is sometimes thought that young students are not usually strong enough to face diverse school life obstacles, so it is better for them to start their education at the age of 7.

When they face discriminatory behaviors from rebellion pupils what is this? or receive punishments from their teachers, children's mental and psychological developments tend to have detrimental impacts. I know IELTS says that they are only testing English and not the validity of the arguments but ... keep things simpler... after all people reading essays are also humans. They need to feel like they kind of agree with you.

This is because in such situations, they generally feel dishearten and stressed.

Hence, in early days, spending adequate time with family can make them strong and prepared for a school life since they can easily learn how to face critical situations from their parent's experiences and advises.
Think of some simpler ideas why people may not want children to get "formal education" before certain age. What is "formal education"? What could be the drawbacks? Think a little. Why do schools advertise no homework these days. It has nothing to do with bullying in school or punishment.

To summarize, despite people having divergent views, I believe that young pupils ought to start their studies as soon as possible because an early development of their mind would make them accustomed to education and will continue to help them in their future. This is definitely more important than difficult situations faced by children at school as misbehaviors and harsh punishments can be eliminated by school authority by taking several strict steps.Now see this ... Do you know why it happened? You just realized you are ending the essay with a body paragraph with arguments which weaken your "opinion" in first paragraph. So you had no choice but to compensate for it in the conclusion. And hence, you ended up writing almost another BP instead of conclusion.

Now you know why this essay structure is not a good one?

Thank You,
Pritesh
I feel reading this essay you were not comfortable with the "other view". This is my take after reading the essay. It can happen. When it happens ... in the future do not force yourself to write a full essay. Rather this is an indication your "idea bank" needs more ideas.

priteshgondalia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Introduction is pretty basic. No glimpse of both sides of the views or your opinion. They are just statements. The introduction may not hurt you but won't be helpful as well.

Now my question is Were you comfortable with the topic when you read it? My guess after reading the essay is No.

Second question .. do you think you have the best BP structure for the essay? Have you seen discuss both sides essay and give your opinion kind?
Let's dive in and see

The topic is Discuss both views and give your opinion. You are giving your opinion in the very first paragraph. You haven't yet discussed the other opinion. Ideal structure of the essay is

Intro
BP1- View 1
BP2 - View 2
BP3 - Your opinion
Conclusion
Now if your opinion is same as one of the views then write the other view first and then come to the view with which you agree. The paragraph structure is fine but the flow could be better.

Think of some simpler ideas why people may not want children to get "formal education" before certain age. What is "formal education"? What could be the drawbacks? Think a little. Why do schools advertise no homework these days. It has nothing to do with bullying in school or punishment.

I feel reading this essay you were not comfortable with the "other view". This is my take after reading the essay. It can happen. When it happens ... in the future do not force yourself to write a full essay. Rather this is an indication your "idea bank" needs more ideas.

Make sense. I think I need to work on the structure and make an essay simpler, instead of complex.

Thanks @cansha

Rina Arora

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Dear @cansha, please evaluate my essay whenever you have time.
Hi @cansha and others, Please evaluate my essay and help with areas of improvement. I had checked the old posts and even tried to implement it but it will come in flow with practice and today I will read a few 9 band essays as well.

Some people think young people should follow what elders say. Rest think, young people may have different views than elders. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Young generation might have different thoughts than elders, whereas others believe that youngsters should respect the instructions given by elders. I opine that advice provided by elders should be followed because they are more experienced and can also coach young one’s on moral values.

Elders can evaluate a problem in a better way as compared to youngsters because they are experienced and have seen the ups and down in life. Teenagers are like blossoming flowers are they are not able to brainstorm a situation as they are in their early age. In addition, various learnings are learned by an individual at each phase of life due to which elders have a calculative thought process as opposed to youngsters.

Another reason due to which elders should be followed by young people is that they can coach the younger one’s on the code of ethics and moral values. It is tough for young people to differentiate between right and wrong, therefore, they might end up in trouble sometimes. Thus, if youngsters will follow elders then they will be able to attain various values and habits which will be helpful for them in upcoming life.

One basic reason due to which people agree that youngsters have different thoughts as compared to Elders is due to generation and technological gap. They have adapted to the modern lifestyle and all their thoughts are creative and out of the box. In addition, they are a vivid user of technology which helps them in brainstorming things by using interest and assist them in decision making.

In conclusion, youngsters should follow the advice of the elders because they are helpful in making conscious decisions. Although, youngsters can take their own decisions in the later stages of life.

Poohpha

Nov 15, 2018
Thailand
Being a Thai it wasn't that easy for me to clear the IELTs, somehow i managed to clear the exam :p
It took me more than 6 months in-depth preparation to reach that level.

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
Hi all

I just got my IELTS result

Overall: 8.0
L 9/ R 7.5 / W 6.5 / S 8.5

The University of Ottawa says the overall score of 7 with no band under 7. Does this make my score unacceptable? Also can they overlook this considering that I scored an 8 overall?

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Hi all

The University of Ottawa says the overall score of 7 with no band under 7. Does this make my score unacceptable? Also can they overlook this considering that I scored an 8 overall?
Bro, only the Uni can answer that. Nevertheless, It is a fantastic score. Congrats.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023

Intro
BP1- View 1
BP2 - View 2
BP3 - Your opinion
Conclusion
I have analyzed Chris's discuss both sides type essay and I found some strange sentences. He does say put your opinion in the introduction and in each supporting paragraph why you either agree or disagree. I watched a video of Liz as well and she says put your opinion in the intro and also the first supporting paragraph (she was agreeing with the first view) but not to put our opinion in the second supporting paragraph (the one she disagreed with). She said this is the way to answer this type of question as the discussion and opinion must be clear throughout the essay (each paragraph).

Certainly this type of question is very tricky and we must practice a lot. Opinion question type is easy at least from planning and structure point of view.

vmsanthosh.chn

Jun 29, 2017
Question on writing introduction. Is that okay to start the introduction with a news or a past story and then expand? Something like this.

Topic - People are not eating healthy food. what is your opinion?

A few months ago, SouthWest Medical hospital in Vancouver city conducted a survey only to discover half of the population in the city is at the risk of obesity. In my opinion, the main reason for this problem is that people are not eating healthy food.

Another one.

Topic - Should children be controlled or not?

Children's Cognitive Behavior council consistently reporting that parents and teachers are conveniently ignoring their children's misbehavior which can become a social concern in near future. Along those lines, some people suggests that....

dkmemon

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi all

Great scores ,but I would recommend to request for EOR (enquiry on results) and I am 100 % sure that your writing score will change to 7...

dkmemon

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
I wrote my Ielts in mississauga Nov 10 th ...academic version
Task 2 question was
Children should be allowed to live independeltly and make own decisions from an early age.
to what extent do you agree

Any one can comment about question that what age to be focused here,,,what ielts mean by an early age in the question
This is my 6th attempt and i am dying for band 7 in writing .I am physician and struggling hard to enter in the system in Canada

Thank you

vmsanthosh.chn

Jun 29, 2017
I wrote my Ielts in mississauga Nov 10 th ...academic version
Task 2 question was
Children should be allowed to live independeltly and make own decisions from an early age.
to what extent do you agree

Any one can comment about question that what age to be focused here,,,what ielts mean by an early age in the question
This is my 6th attempt and i am dying for band 7 in writing .I am physician and struggling hard to enter in the system in Canada

Thank you
Are you sure that's exactly the question was? I wrote the Nov 10th exam too in Canada, but my question was slightly different - children's behavior should be strictly controlled or not? or rather should we allow them to do whatever they want?. That's different from yours as you see it doesn't speak anything about age or it's not even about taking decision at all. The topic is entirely different in my mind.

I am wondering how can the question be different for different centers on the same day in same region?