+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
Let Us Work it again, from scratch this time, with more intense efforts.... We are gonna win, No Matter What!!!!!

Writing (6 - 6.5)
Your scores explained:
Test takers at this band can typically address all parts of the question, some more fully than others.

The letter has a generally clear purpose; the tone is sometimes not consistent.

Key features and bullet points are covered.

The point of view and main ideas are relevant but the conclusion(s) may be unclear.

Some details might be irrelevant or wrong.

Test takers can arrange their ideas logically, so that the writing has a clear progression from start to finish.

They are able to use some linking words well, but others with mistakes.

They can paragraph their Task 2 writing, although not always logically.

They have enough vocabulary to answer the question.

They try to use some less common words.

They make some spelling mistakes, but the reader can still understand.

They can write a mix of simple and complex sentences.

The grammar and punctuation mistakes do not usually cause difficulty for the reader.
How to improve:

Practice writing to give information and make arguments.

Make sure you cover all the points that need to be covered, providing supporting ideas and details.
Reread your work and see if you can make your points clearer.

Is the ordering of your ideas logical? Sometimes, rearranging them can make things clearer.

You can also try joining up or separating sentences, using the right connecting devices, and changing where you divide your paragraphs.

Continue to develop your vocabulary.

Words can be similar in meaning but differ in formality, in their tone, and in their implications.

Focus on learning the best words to use for the writing task, the situation, and what you want to say.

Challenge yourself by producing sentences that are more complex.

If you make mistakes with them, don't worry too much; just check and see how you can fix them.
Now Take a look at 7 or 7.5

Writing (7.0)
Your scores explained:
Test takers at this band can typically produce a clear overview of the graph or a clear viewpoint throughout the response.

All parts of the task are covered.

The letter has a clear purpose and a consistent, suitable tone.

Test takers can support their main ideas with details and examples, although these might be too general and lack focus.

The writing is well-organised and leads logically to its conclusion.

They can use a variety of linking words, with some over- or under-used.

In Task 2 every paragraph has one main topic.

They can flexibly use a range of vocabulary and some less common words with some style, despite occasionally choosing the wrong word or making mistakes in spelling or in the form of a word.

They are able to use a variety of complex sentences, and many of their sentences are correct.

However they still make a few mistakes with grammar and punctuation.
How to improve:
Practice producing different types of writing.

When writing informational and argumentative pieces, take care to develop your points thoroughly, providing as many relevant supporting ideas and details as necessary.

Don't develop your points separately. Instead, ask yourself: how might I develop my idea so that it logically leads me to my next idea? Then, also ask yourself: does my use of paragraphing help to highlight the flow of my ideas? Have I also used other means besides paragraphing to do this? Use a good variety of structures, choosing appropriate ones to help the overall effect of your writing.

Also try to use a wide range of vocabulary when you write, always using the best possible word.

For words and phrases that are newer to you, look them up online to see how other writers use them and what other words they often appear together with.

Finally, check your writing, paying special attention to those words and grammar structures you're not as confident about.
Now Take a look at 8 or 8.5

Test takers at Band 8.0 can typically write a well-developed response to all parts of the question.

The key features or bullet points are clearly described and illustrated.

Their ideas are relevant, extended and supported.

They can sequence their ideas logically, and link them all together well.

In Task 2, their paragraphs are adequate and appropriate.

They can use a wide range of vocabulary fluently and flexibly to communicate precise meanings.

They can skilfully use uncommon words, with only rare mistakes in spelling or word form.

They are able to use a wide range of sentence types, and most of these have no mistakes in them.

Errors are only very occasional.

How to improve: for band 9

When writing your Task 2, think about all aspects of the topic and try to include all angles on it, supported by as many relevant ideas and examples as you can think of.

Be careful to paragraph perfectly, including only one main idea in each paragraph.

Within your paragraphs, the sentences should be in a logical order and well-linked to each other.

As well as practising your writing, don’t forget to read, speak and listen to as much English as possible so that you are exposed to a very wide range of vocabulary and good models of correct, complex grammar.

Well-written books, the radio or TV news are all suitable daily sources for this.

You should be trying to increase your vocabulary, so every time you write something, why not challenge yourself to use at least one new word for the first time?

Last edited:

ks_grewal

Jul 16, 2018
I got below results in first attempt.
Listening 8
Reading 7.5
Writing 7
Speaking 6
Over All 7

I got 7 in writing but 6 in speaking. I am getting 370 points in CRS tool. Should I go to apply for express entry?
Suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
I got below results in first attempt.
Listening 8
Reading 7.5
Writing 7
Speaking 6
Over All 7

I got 7 in writing but 6 in speaking. I am getting 370 points in CRS tool. Should I go to apply for express entry?
Suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
don't waste your time, just re take IELTS

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Test Date 08 Sept 2018
Listening 8.5
Reading 9
Speaking 7.5
Writing 6.5
OverAllBandScore 8

Can not believe It !!!!
So sorry bro
Gotto love your determination

Babukumar

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Got my result. L8.5,R 7.5,S 7,W 7.
Thanks a lot for members giving me the feed back. Your feed back only provided me the real evaluation where i realised my mistakes. So i improved Coherence and Cohesionas well as Task achievement. Thanks a lot.Finally cleared at 7th attempt.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks a lot for members giving me the feed back. Your feed back only provided me the real evaluation where i realised my mistakes. So i improved Coherence and Cohesionas well as Task achievement. Thanks a lot.Finally cleared at 7th attempt.
Congrats buddy!

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
At least one of our fellow comrade got it!!, happy for you.

Reactions: dvm.bilaeen88l

Babukumar

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
At least one of our fellow comrade got it!!, happy for you.
Thanks a lot...I am grateful to you..as you are the one who first gave me open feedback..n that made me to realise how poor i am at sentence formation..Great job...You all said my points are good but the written format is not up to the mark..I really worked hard to overcome those issues..Thanks a ton once again. I wish you whole heartedly to get your desired scores soon...

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
Thanks a lot...I am grateful to you..as you are the one who first gave me open feedback..n that made me to realise how poor i am at sentence formation..Great job...You all said my points are good but the written format is not up to the mark..I really worked hard to overcome those issues..Thanks a ton once again. I wish you whole heartedly to get your desired scores soon...
I wish you best of luck for your journey ahead, don't make any mistakes while filing PR application, go through a lot of threads before submitting it.

Because they are just like IELTS, they need one reason to reject you, they don't care, they won't listen to your appeal.

Please make your life great and help others whenever you can, no matter how small or big. Canadians are nice people, enjoy your life.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Cansha,

1. You can learn about anything from a book in shortest possible time; whereas, you just need to skim through few books to get an expert level knowledge on anything. Firstly read the sentence. It is written poorly. It's probably written as support of idea 1. ( Supporting Idea - quickness in reading them) - Why do you say its poorly written ? I want to know..
I said that it is poorly written because of use of word whereas. Google the word whereas and see it's uses. Basically when you use whereas you are trying to show two contrasting ideas. In your case your ideas are not contrasting per se but complimentary. That's one.

Secondly, let's read the sentences without the whereas.

You can learn about anything from a book in shortest possible time.
You just need to skim through few books to get an expert level knowledge on anything.

I think you were trying to say if you read one book you can gain some knowledge but if you read more books you can become an expert. Is my understanding correct? Atleast that is what I got from reading it.

If above is correct then use of "skim" is not ideal for your argument. Because skimming will not lead to someone becoming expert. You would probably require deep study.

Hence, from English perspective I found use of whereas not really correct for the situation. I would probably use moreover as conjunction. Something like

You can learn just about anything by reading a book in shortest possible time, moreover, reading multiple books on the topic can help you become an expert.

I my opinion, book reading as well as gaining relevant experience are concomitent to achieve notable excellence in any field of life.
( I ve answered in the first line that both are necessary, so I just discussed pros and cons of both in my essay )
See I understand where you're coming from. And as I said for the message you wanted to convey concomitant was not the correct word. Also, even if you think you have given your opinion in the intro essay it is always a good idea to reinforce it when you are making detailed arguments.

And again as I have said it before essays are subjective. Same essay can be perceived differently by different people. Hence, it is a good idea that whenever you are making statements on opinion and trying to answer an essay question do it in clear words to avoid ambiguity.

And finally, unfortunately even the sentence in introduction doesn't really answer the question. The sentence just says reading books and experience exist together. So, does that mean they are equally important? Let's say you wanted to say that. But then you contradict yourself by saying experience is more important that without it you will never be an expert.

Hope this helps! Forums have an inherent disadvantage that many a times even my message to you may be lost due to limitation of writing.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
You deserve a lot of credit, firstly to have the courage to post essays on an open forum and then taking the feedback / criticism in a positive way. And then working on it. It is very inspiring for me.

And @H0peAndFa1th if you made difference to even one person you have done wonders mate! All the best to you as well!

Reactions: Babukumar

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Test Date 08 Sept 2018
Listening 8.5
Reading 9
Speaking 7.5
Writing 6.5
OverAllBandScore 8

Can not believe It !!!!
Do you think they purposely give you 6.5 in writing?

They must know you need 7 for express entry and you never know what they were doing at the back.