+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS - Writing - For Band 7 or Above.

May 3, 2017
Overall well done, John Smith :)

Continue practicing task 2.
Thanks so much.

I am working on it as well. I will write CD-one once the exam opens here in my state. Most probably in coming 10 days. Thanks so much for the help.

Last time I received a question:
"Schools are not doing enough to teach children how to look after their health" Do you agree or disagree.

My performance was not satisfactory in Writing in this essay. I was looking for good essays on this statement; however, didn't find it. Whenever you or the persons have time, Can you tell me the planning points on this?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
There have been several complaints about the reception area where visitors to your company arrive. Your manager has asked you to suggest how the reception area could be improved.

Write a letter to your manager.

In your letter,

describe the complaints that have been made

say why the reception area is important

suggest how the reception area could be improved
Dear Mr Salman,

I am writing to brief you about the recent complaints which we have received from visitors regarding our reception area, along with a few suggestions for the improvement. My suggestion would be to flip the order of these phrases. basically tell the manager you are writing to offer imporvement suggestions as asked / requested with regards to complaints about reception area.

One of the visitors raised the issue on the level of tidiness in the reception area, while another one was furious about the unavailability of the receptionist during his last visit. I'm not sure if it really matters but my personal opinion is if the question says "several" than don't quote examples like "one person said this" and "another person said that". Reading this it feels like only two people complained and not serveral. The idea behind the letter is there are lot of complaints. Your problem statement needs to reflect that.

As we are operating in the real estate industry, Goes back to my previous post of using "one size fits all" strategy. I highly doubt you would tell your manager in your office what industry you work in. Think about it.
each visitor for us holds equal importance as he could be a potential buyer.
Therefore, it is indeed vital to have an active and well-managed reception area. I understand why you are writing it this way because you need to show importance of reception area but right now it seems like you are telling me importance of every buyer. Read it again.

I would like to suggest that for cleaning, a dedicated janitor should be appointed for the reception area. By doing so, we will ensure a tidy area throughout the day. Moreover, I have personally inspected regarding the availability of the receptionist and found that she often leaves her seat without informing her subordinate. By looking at her non-serious behaviour, I would like to suggest that she should be replaced with a professional staff member as the entrance area holds very crucial importance for our business. Repetitive and no value add.

I hope the suggestions I have put forward will be taken considerably.
Again this letter reads like all the other complaint kind of letters out there. See every sentence matters. It is a little different in a way your superior has asked you to offer suggestions. So, you would rather tell him " Hope you would find my suggestions useful" vs " hope you will consider my suggestions". He wants to cosider your suggestions that's why he asked you in first place. Context matters.

Yours faithfully,

Sohaib Qureshi

@cansha @marosa

Reactions: Sohaibkq and marosa

Rehanyousaf

Feb 4, 2019
Pakistan
This has already been reviewed so I won't re-review it. But I just wanted to add one point.

Question says Your manager has asked you to suggest how the reception area could be improved.

Dear Sir,
And your answer starts with this line.

I am writing this letter to bring an important matter under your consideration which requires your immediate attention because of the gravity of the issue.

Read the question again. Your manager has "asked" you to suggest improvements. So likely he already knew of "gravity" of issues. It is very important to read the question and then respond to the question asked. This "one size fits all" kind of approach is quite dangerous in IELTS. You have essentially chosen to write a line which would be appropriate for a letter where you are supposed to complain to a manager.

P.S. You might find some article mistakes in this letter. I am struggling a lot in placing articles. I know the rules, but I am not able to identify nouns. Is there any tip which can help me?

Give me an example where you struggled. So between a, an and the rules are kind of simple. You probably already know we use an when a word starts with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). Between a, an vs the you need to just think about whether you are talking about something specific or something generic and the context.

So for example
Sentence 1: Give me a key.
Sentence 2: Give me the key.

In the first sentence, someone wants "a key" so basically any key would do. May be the person wants to scratch something and needs a key like object.

In second sentence, someone wants "the key". So, they need a specific key. May be to open a door.

Since you know that our Air-conditioner was not working properly from the last few months, it has completely stopped working now because of the blockage in the outdoor unit, and heating temperature is almost unbearable due to the current heatwave. Moreover, not only does heating problem is disturbing our visitors, but also the unavailability of staff at information desk is creating negative impact on clients regarding our company. Despite all the branding and spending on advertisement, we might not be able to convert potential clients into our permanent clients as reception area is entirely against the image we are trying to build among our clients.

I believe we should hire a veteran information desk officer to assist our clients, and it is also imperative to refurbish the area with the new furniture and appliances to maintain the image we are trying to depict among our clients.

I am looking forward to your response on this matter.

Yours sincerely

Rehan Yousaf
@cansha Thanks for highlighting the important mistake. This was my first letter so I will take care of this in the next writings. Secondly, regarding articles, I do know about Generic and specific rule but I am not able to pick the right place in the tasks.

For instance, in this essay, as per GRAMMERLY, I am missing an article with below-mentioned words.

1- heating temperature
2- Information
3- negative impact
4- advertisement
5- Reception

For your convenience, I have bolded those words in the text.

Thanks

Sohaibkq

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
@marosa @cansha

Thanks a lot again for your extended support as always. I and @Rehanyousaf really appreciate your volunteer support through this struggling time. After several delays, we have finally booked the computer-based exam for 7th June. Last time we both were well prepared, still ended up with 6.5 in writing. For this time, perhaps the fear of falling short is still on our mind.

For the next few days, we will post more essays and letters. It will be really kind of you to continue your support further. Wish us good luck too. We are on track with L S and R, the only issue remains is with writing. This 0.5 deficit in writing is really a deciding factor for our immigration dream.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
This 0.5 deficit in writing is really a deciding factor for our immigration dream.
I understand the fear of failure but don't be afraid. Also, this 0.5 gap is not because of your grammar or lack of complex sentences. It is because of task response. Just focus on writing a "good" essay vs trying to write a "perfect" essay in terms of vocab and grammar and you will do just fine.

All the best!

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
@marosa @cansha

Thanks a lot again for your extended support as always. I and @Rehanyousaf really appreciate your volunteer support through this struggling time. After several delays, we have finally booked the computer-based exam for 7th June. Last time we both were well prepared, still ended up with 6.5 in writing. For this time, perhaps the fear of falling short is still on our mind.

For the next few days, we will post more essays and letters. It will be really kind of you to continue your support further. Wish us good luck too. We are on track with L S and R, the only issue remains is with writing. This 0.5 deficit in writing is really a deciding factor for our immigration dream.
Since there’s not much time left, I would suggest you to focus on task response by picking random questions and writing their intros, conclusions and the structure for the BPs. Like what your arguments would be and how you’d support it. You can post those exercises, too, along with the complete essays.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: Sohaibkq and cansha

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
@cansha Thanks for highlighting the important mistake. This was my first letter so I will take care of this in the next writings. Secondly, regarding articles, I do know about Generic and specific rule but I am not able to pick the right place in the tasks.

For instance, in this essay, as per GRAMMERLY, I am missing an article with below-mentioned words.

1- heating temperature
2- Information
3- negative impact
4- advertisement
5- Reception

Thanks
1. the heating temperature .. because you are referring to a specific temperature. Although "heating temperature" in itself is wrong.
2. the "information desk". The error is not because of word information but "information desk" which is a specific place you are referring to in this context
3. a negative impact. There will be a negative impact because you have not specified there would be more than one and you have not specified there is a specific negative impact
5. clients as the "reception area". Again error is not because of "reception" but because of "reception desk" which is a specific area in this context

4. advertisement one is a bit tricky. May be correct use is the advertisement. But, personally I would be fine with just advertisement in this context.

Reactions: Rehanyousaf

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......

1- heating temperature
2- Information
3- negative impact
4- advertisement
5- Reception

Thanks
Just to add to Cansha’s comments on this topic.

1. If the noun is countable and is singular you have to have a noun (a/an or the).

- If you’re talking about a particular noun, not a random or undefined one, use “the”, if not then “a” or “an”.
- I assume no issue in choosing between “a” and “an”.

2. If the noun is uncountable you either use “the” (if defined) or don’t use any article.

BUT

In some cases if you have the description of the noun you will use the article.

“There are many ways to spend time” (not a time)”
vs
“We spent a great time together”.

3. If the noun is countable and plural and defined - use “the”, if undefined - blank.

——
So, when thinking whether to have an article or not, use a decision tree:

Is my noun singular or plural?

- singular: is it countable or uncountable?
— countable: is if defined or not?
—- undefined -> use a/an
—- defined -> use the

— uncountable: is if defined or not?
—- undefined -> leave blank (unless the case I’ve described above)
—- defined -> use the

- plural: is if defined or not?
— undefined -> leave blank
— defined -> use the

Rehanyousaf

Feb 4, 2019
Pakistan
Just to add to Cansha’s comments on this topic.

1. If the noun is countable and is singular you have to have a noun (a/an or the).

- If you’re talking about a particular noun, not a random or undefined one, use “the”, if not then “a” or “an”.
- I assume no issue in choosing between “a” and “an”.

2. If the noun is uncountable you either use “the” (if defined) or don’t use any article.

BUT

In some cases if you have the description of the noun you will use the article.

“There are many ways to spend time” (not a time)”
vs
“We spent a great time together”.

3. If the noun is countable and plural and defined - use “the”, if undefined - blank.

——
So, when thinking whether to have an article or not, use a decision tree:

Is my noun singular or plural?

- singular: is it countable or uncountable?
— countable: is if defined or not?
—- undefined -> use a/an
—- defined -> use the

— uncountable: is if defined or not?
—- undefined -> leave blank (unless the case I’ve described above)
—- defined -> use the

- plural: is if defined or not?
— undefined -> leave blank
— defined -> use the
Thanks @cansha and @marosa . I do aware of all the generic and specific rules; however, my problem is a bit weird as I am not able to identify nouns in the statements or sentence. For instance, we do have a subject, a verb and an object (optional) in the statement. It is hard for me to identified between nouns, adjectives, adverbs.

Is there any tip through which I can identify that this is the noun and then place the article accordingly.

Thanks

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
Thanks @cansha and @marosa . I do aware of all the generic and specific rules; however, my problem is a bit weird as I am not able to identify nouns in the statements or sentence. For instance, we do have a subject, a verb and an object (optional) in the statement. It is hard for me to identified between nouns, adjectives, adverbs.

Is there any tip through which I can identify that this is the noun and then place the article accordingly.

Thanks
Well, if to simplify nouns answer to the question what. “The glass is on the table.” What? - the glass, is on what? - the table.

For more maybe you should search online. There must be youtube lessons, online exercises etc.

https://www.hitbullseye.com/Noun-Questions.php

Last edited:

Sohaibkq

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
@cansha @marosa

You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about whether to go to college or to try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.
Write a letter to this friend.
In your letter:
say why he/she would not enjoy going to college
explain why getting a job is a good idea for him/her
suggest types of job that would be suitable for him/her

Dear Rehan,
I hope you are in good health and enjoying your time in Karachi. I am writing to advise you on why you should look for a job instead of joining college at this time. Since I am aware that you are passing through tough financial time, you will not be able to enjoy college as the majority of colleges are now charging hefty annual fees.

There are enormous benefits of starting a job. Most importantly, it will assist you in meeting your overheads and you will not be dependent on anyone for your spending. Once you have a satisfactory amount of saving, you can rethink on the idea of joining the college.
As you are quite interested in computer graphics, I would suggest you to look for a job as an animation designer. Once you gain adequate expertise, you can apply for a job in multinational companies. Moreover, looking at your creative abilities, I would advise you to search for a job related to article writing. The kind of superior skills you possess in writing will help you a lot in securing a decent job in a local newspaper office.

I hope you the suggestions I have put forward will assist you in making your decision.

Yours sincerely,

Sohaib Qureshi

Sohaibkq

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
@cansha @marosa

What should be the best way to attempt To what extent essays?

Jay's method:

Intro: Background statement. This essay will argue why (your opinion).

Body paragraph 1: Talk about the other side, why and how they have that opinion
Body paragraph 2: Talk about your side. He says in 2nd paragraph, you should go against the other side and present your opinion.

Shelly's method:

Introduction: Background statement. Your opinion (either agree or disagree).

Body paragraph 1 &2: Start with your opinion. Add a sentence to show distancing (Acknowledge other side but in the same sentence destroy it as well. For example, although I acknowledge this is the issue, but issue is not with everyone. something like that).

She says if you want to achieve 8.0 for Task achievement, you should do this way. This will not change your opinion, you are just touching other side.

Please advise.

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
@cansha @marosa

Jay's method:

Body paragraph 2: Talk about your side. He says in 2nd paragraph, you should go against the other side and present your opinion.

Shelly's method:

Body paragraph 1 &2: Start with your opinion. Add a sentence to show distancing (Acknowledge other side but in the same sentence destroy it as well. For example, although I acknowledge this is the issue, but issue is not with everyone. something like that).

She says if you want to achieve 8.0 for Task achievement, you should do this way. This will not change your opinion, you are just touching other side.

Please advise.
Hi!

I don’t know none of these guys, but your question has been answered so many times already that I don’t even know what to add to that.

AGAIN, the easiest way to score 7+ is to MAINLY AGREE. EVEN IF they don’t ask you to what extent.

Q: Some say automative translators are better than professionals. To what extent do you agree?

A: I mainly disagree, because while automative tools have advantages when it comes to translating short non-professional content, for professional texts it’s better to approach professional translators and interpreters.

BP1. Admittedly, tools are faster and cheaper, so if you need minor quick translation, you’ll use those.

BP2. On the other hand, large academic studies or international political documents have to be error-free, so you won’t go for online tools.

BP3. Moreover if everyone switches to the machines, we’ll have thousands of jobless people.

BP3 is not mandatory.

Last edited:

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
@cansha @marosa

Jay's method:

Shelly's method:

Please advise.
I wouldn’t advise you to follow different techniques at the same time. That’s only going to confuse you more and you don’t even have time for that. So why won’t you simply continue practicing.

Sohaibkq

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
Hi!

I don’t know none of these guys, but your question has been answered so many times already that I don’t even know what to add to that.

AGAIN, the easiest way to score 7+ is to MAINLY AGREE. EVEN IF they don’t ask you to what extent.

Q: Some say automative translators are better than professionals. To what extent do you agree?

A: I mainly disagree, because while automative tools have advantages when it comes to translating short non-professional content, for professional texts it’s better to approach professional translators and interpreters.

BP1. Admittedly, tools are faster and cheaper, so if you need minor quick translation, you’ll use those.

BP2. On the other hand, large academic studies or international political documents have to be error-free, so you won’t go for online tools.

BP3. Moreover if everyone switches to the machines, we’ll have thousands of jobless people.

BP3 is not mandatory.

Thanks a lot. This is what Jay suggested. Talk about the other side in Bp1 and describe your opinion in Bp2. This way one won't run out of ideas as well. Because, if we fully agree or disagree, it becomes difficult to gather different points for both paragraphs.