Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
While some people would argue that concerns related to the environment should be solved at a national level, others diasgree and prefer solutions on a global scale. I believe that these problems ought to be solved by mutual understanding globally as they cannot be solved by a nation alone owing to the lack of resources.
Just reading your whole essay I think introduction could be better. What you are saying is if issues are local national governments could be better but issues like global warming will take collective effort and you lean towards that. You need to find a way to explain that in introduction itself.

On the one hand, since governments have full control in their own country, they can implement better preventive and corrective measures to achieve environmental sustainability. One of the main reasons of this could be that they know what are some main concerns that that require an immediate attention as every nation has its different types of ecological problems. For example, While the problem of water scarcity in India is at dangerous level, there are no issues related to the water in Canada, Australia and the United States. However, since handling of most environmental problems like global warming, energy shortages and climate crisis require abundance of resources, they are beyond the reach of a single country.
This paragraph is very well written. Why? Because you tell what kind of issues national government can handle better and why? And example is very relatable and not a made up lame example like "Research by UN shows that India has more water issues and hence they need to deal with it themselves blah blah" . Remember this example for future reference. This is how your examples should be. When someone reads it he/she should feel ... yeah that makes sense.

Also you make a good segway for the next paragraph by stating what kind of issues can't be solved at national levels. That gets you points at C&C. You have hit almost all points in this BP.

On the other hand, lots of men and material are needed to combat environmental problems and this need can be satisfied if countries work on these issues as a team. Working together means better use of workforce and machines that can solve these problems quicker and better by using innovative ideas. The content of carbon is reduced to half in five years when most countries signed a treaty in Paris to make their environment and planet a better place by cutting their emissions from industries and automobiles. Moreover, the principles of global integration and mutual understanding will flourish when developed and developing countries will assist under-developed countries where more lives of people and animals are at risk.
Okay this para is the weak link of the essay. Why? There is too much vague and philosophical stuff like the one highlighted in red. That is kind of related to topic but read your BP1 and then read your BP2. There is no impact in BP2.

In conclusion, whether environmental problems are addressed at a global platform or at a country level to achieve environmental stewardship attracts many viewpoints. Waste of a line. You are writing like an intro line. This is conclusion.
I consider that a global platform is a better choice as this option has more resources to tackle the problem which is not the case when a countries handles these issues themselves.

Much better than your previous attempts. Your BP1 and example there should be your template for your future essays.
Fix the introduction. One simple trick is to revisit your introduction when you have finished writing your essay and update it. Don't think introduction can be written only at the beginning. It can be written even in the end to make it more impactful.

You're making huge progress. Just keep at it. All the best!
Totally agreed with your comments, especially that our bro has made huge progress and his BP1 and examples should be used as templates.

May 3, 2017
Thank you so much both of you. When I read my essay all over again after reading your comments, then I understood the deficiencies in the introduction part. It shows little deviation from my explanations. Amending the introduction after completing an essay is a suggestion.

Earlier what I used to do:

Write a line intro and review+ complete a para and then review
Same for BPs and conclusion.

I never detailed check my essay again as I think I already did it twice. But, we must give a review after writing BPs again.

Thanks for suggestions and spending time on it!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thank you so much both of you. When I read my essay all over again after reading your comments, then I understood the deficiencies in the introduction part. It shows little deviation from my explanations. Amending the introduction after completing an essay is a suggestion.

Earlier what I used to do:

Write a line intro and review+ complete a para and then review
Same for BPs and conclusion.

I never detailed check my essay again as I think I already did it twice. But, we must give a review after writing BPs again.

Thanks for suggestions and spending time on it!
Always review your essay in totality and not just after each section. If you can save 10-12 minutes on exam to be used as review time it would help a lot.

Reactions: joconstantine

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
For intro and conclusion improvement it’s pretty useful to pick random questions and spend some 7-10 minutes on writing only those two paragraphs, but in such a manner than by only reading those two it is clear what the BPs are going to be about/ what the main ideas of the essay are.

Reactions: cansha
May 3, 2017
For intro and conclusion improvement it’s pretty useful to pick random questions and spend some 7-10 minutes on writing only those two paragraphs, but in such a manner than by only reading those two it is clear what the BPs are going to be about/ what the main ideas of the essay are.
Can you please provide me the link of that post in which you had explained how to write conclusions with examples for opinion, discussion and other essays in this forum?

Thanks in advance

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
Can you please provide me the link of that post in which you had explained how to write conclusions with examples for opinion, discussion and other essays in this forum?

Thanks in advance

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ielts-writing-for-band-7-or-above.540392/page-90#post-7568485

You can also use this links:

https://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-2-how-to-write-an-introduction/

https://ieltsliz.com/ielts-conclusion-opinion-essay/

Liz explains it very well.

For examples I guess you’ll need to read reviewed essays from this thread))

Last edited:
May 3, 2017
Many people prefer to spend money and not save it. What are the reasons? Is this a positive or negative development?

An increasing number of persons choose spending rather than investing money. This trend has increased not only because of the reduction of interest rates, but also due to the increase in needs. Even though it is a negative change for individuals, it is beneficial for companies.

Foremost, people are spending a significantly huge part of their income on entertainment and luxury along with spending some money on necessities like food, clothing, and shelter. Enjoying the latest movies and traveling to different countries give them psychological satisfaction as such activities have become quite common nowadays in the materialistic society, especially among the youth. Additionally, their spending habit is also increased because most financial institutions give too less interest on savings and investments. Instead, they charge for allied services associated with cash, such as cash withdrawals and managing cash transactions. Banks in Australia charge money if account holders keep more than 200 dollars in their bank accounts.

Spending more money rather than saving for future prospects is detrimental for individuals since the need for money can arise anytime when they meet any unexpected problems. As physical and mental health problems are increasing, so it is necessary to have some bank balance to get the treatments done whenever required. Although health insurances cover some diseases, these ailments are covered up to a specified sum. In addition, job loss is also common owing to the proliferation in technology in almost all sectors. To cover living expenses during the time of unemployment, having cash is necessary as finding a new job is also challenging.

That being said, more the businesses spend money, the more they will earn profits. Investing money on raw materials and capital goods by withdrawing from bank accounts means an increase in the number of goods. These products generate additional revenue and profit when they are sold. Alternatively, when associations spend surplus money on their advertisements, they create demand for their products and services, which also help to generate monetary gains in the future. For example, Apple Incorporations considers the optimum utilization of cash as the main factor behind increasing its profit every year.

In conclusion, owing to the increase in personal needs and the rise in cash handling charges of banks, people prefer to spend money instead of keeping money in hand or in financial companies. While this trend shows negative development for individuals, it is certainly positive for corporate houses.

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
Many people prefer to spend money and not save it. What are the reasons? Is this a positive or negative development?

An increasing number of personschoose spending rather than investing money.This trend has increased not only because of the reduction of interest rates, but also due to the increase in needs. Even though it is a negative change for individuals, it is beneficial for companies.

Foremost, people are spending a significantly huge part of their income on entertainment and luxury along with spending some money on necessities like food, clothing, and shelter. Enjoying the latest movies and traveling to different countries give them psychological satisfaction as such activities have become quite common nowadays in the materialistic society, especially among the youth. Additionally, their spending habit is also increased because most financial institutions give too less interest on savings and investments. Instead, they charge for allied services associated with cash, such as cash withdrawals and managing cash transactions. Banks in Australia charge money if account holders keep more than 200 dollars in their bank accounts.

Spending more money rather than saving for future prospects is detrimental for individuals since the need for money can arise anytime when they meet any unexpected problems. As physical and mental health problems are increasing, so it is necessary to have some bank balance to get the treatments done whenever required. Although health insurances cover some diseases, these ailments are covered up to a specified sum. In addition, job loss is also common owing to the proliferation in technology in almost all sectors. To cover living expenses during the time of unemployment, having cash is necessary as finding a new job is also challenging.

That being said, more the businesses spend money, the more they will earn profits. Investing money on in raw materials and capital goods by withdrawing from bank accounts means an increase in the number of goods. These products generate additional revenue and profit when they are sold. Alternatively, when associations spend surplus money on their advertisements, they create demand for their products and services, which also help to generate monetary gains in the future. For example, Apple Incorporations considers the optimum utilization of cash as the main factor behind increasing its profit every year.

In conclusion, owing to the increase in personal needs and the rise in cash handling charges of banks, people prefer to spend money instead of keeping money in hand or in financial companies. While this trend shows negative development for individuals, it is certainly positive for corporate houses.
Hi!

The structure of your intro is so much better now, your opinion is stated very clearly. And I also like your approach, when you say “it’s bad for individuals, but good for business”, this way you’ve left yourself some space to develop two different main ideas, so you won’t be lacking words or ideas when you start writing the essay. The overall structure of your essay if also fine.

But as for the task response, as far as I could understand you almost didn’t cover that criteria. Why?

1. You were not asked about businesses saving money or spending. The question says “Many PEOPLE”, so if you wanted to talk about businesses, you should’ve talked about why more people spending money is good for business and not why businesses should spend money themselves. Like you could say the more people consume the higher companies’ earnings are.

2. I don’t think saving and investing is the same. Actually, I’m almost sure those two words have opposite meanings, because if one decides to save his money he won’t invest in anything, but rather he’ll just keep it.

Now, about paraphrasing:

ou should use “people” as a plural form of “person”. Because (copied from Cambridge dict.) “Persons (plural) is a very formal word. We only use it in rather legalistic contexts:
- Any person or persons found in possession of illegal substances will be prosecuted.

To refer to groups of human beings or humans in general, we use people.

- I saw three people standing on the corner.”

In general, a proper (for band 7+) paraphrasing is not about replacing every single word with a synonym. It’s more like translating the initial meaning of the sentence in your own way. So, if it were you to write the question, you would still use “some people”, then why not to leave it like that? It’s dangerous to replace all the words especially for non-native speakers, cuz we often pick wrong synonyms, because in my mother tongue person and people might have the same meaning, but it’s not the same in English. Again, if you didn’t replace “saving“ with “investing” you probably wouldn’t have your whole essay gone wrong.

Maybe you could say “Many people choose to spend (opt for spending) their earnings rather than keeping those”. So here I changed “money” with “earnings” and “saving” with “keeping”, but I didn’t change neither “people” nor “spending”. Though not claiming this is a perfect paraphrasing at all.)))) Or you could keep “saving” and change “spending“ with “using”... Besides, if the question says “spend” and you modify the word to “spending” you already show the examiner that you know grammar and that you can freely play with words. :)

Another point (I used to make this mistake often, too). Instead of answering to the question “why people spend more” you’ve answered to “why people shouldn’t save more”. The answer seems to be the same in both cases, but it’s not. So instead of describing the drawbacks of saving money (investing, in your case) you could talk about why people consume more - e.g. consumption is aggressively promoted by the West; the future is more uncertain than ever, so they prefer to spend whatever they’ve earned right away etc. It’s not wrong to do it the way you did, but it’s dangerous, because you might get off the track easily.

And finally, it seems to me you’ve gone too far with your accounting/auditing background))) describing business processes of an organization in detail. When I said write about aspects you’re most familiar with, I didn’t mean provide the examiner consulting services.)))) What you wrote in your last BP (if not to focus on the fact that it doesn’t respond to the question) can be described in 1 sentence - The more businesses invest in processes like purchasing and marketing, the more revenues they will generate. P.s. I liked the example.

Well done with the conclusion.

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......

An increasing number of persons choose spending rather than investing money. This trend has increased not only because of the reduction of interest rates, but also due to the increase in needs. Even though it is a negative change for individuals, it is beneficial for companies.

That being said, more the businesses spend money, the more they will earn profits. Investing money on raw materials and capital goods by withdrawing from bank accounts means an increase in the number of goods. These products generate additional revenue and profit when they are sold. Alternatively, when associations spend surplus money on their advertisements, they create demand for their products and services, which also help to generate monetary gains in the future. For example, Apple Incorporations considers the optimum utilization of cash as the main factor behind increasing its profit every year.

Don’t be afraid to spend a couple of minutes doing “nothing” after you’ve read the question. Those few minutes of doing “nothing” might be the most important ones, along with the last few minutes when you check your essay.

Again, after you have read the question:
Step 1 - Think. Make sure you’ve understood the question. Read the question again.
Step 2 - Plan. You need to have a clear understanding of the structure of your future essay, with main ideas, supports and examples.
Step 3 - Write.
Step 4 - Check.

Reactions: cansha

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi!

The structure of your intro is so much better now, your opinion is stated very clearly. And I also like your approach, when you say “it’s bad for individuals, but good for business”, this way you’ve left yourself some space to develop two different main ideas, so you won’t be lacking words or ideas when you start writing the essay. The overall structure of your essay if also fine.

But as for the task response, as far as I could understand you almost didn’t cover that criteria. Why?

1. You were not asked about businesses saving money or spending. The question says “Many PEOPLE”, so if you wanted to talk about businesses, you should’ve talked about why more people spending money is good for business and not why businesses should spend money themselves. Like you could say the more people consume the higher companies’ earnings are.

2. I don’t think saving and investing is the same. Actually, I’m almost sure those two words have opposite meanings, because if one decides to save his money he won’t invest in anything, but rather he’ll just keep it.

Now, about paraphrasing:

ou should use “people” as a plural form of “person”. Because (copied from Cambridge dict.) “Persons (plural) is a very formal word. We only use it in rather legalistic contexts:
- Any person or persons found in possession of illegal substances will be prosecuted.

To refer to groups of human beings or humans in general, we use people.

- I saw three people standing on the corner.”

In general, a proper (for band 7+) paraphrasing is not about replacing every single word with a synonym. It’s more like translating the initial meaning of the sentence in your own way. So, if it were you to write the question, you would still use “some people”, then why not to leave it like that? It’s dangerous to replace all the words especially for non-native speakers, cuz we often pick wrong synonyms, because in my mother tongue person and people might have the same meaning, but it’s not the same in English. Again, if you didn’t replace “saving“ with “investing” you probably wouldn’t have your whole essay gone wrong.

Maybe you could say “Many people choose to spend (opt for spending) their earnings rather than keeping those”. So here I changed “money” with “earnings” and “saving” with “keeping”, but I didn’t change neither “people” nor “spending”. Though not claiming this is a perfect paraphrasing at all.)))) Or you could keep “saving” and change “spending“ with “using”... Besides, if the question says “spend” and you modify the word to “spending” you already show the examiner that you know grammar and that you can freely play with words. :)

Another point (I used to make this mistake often, too). Instead of answering to the question “why people spend more” you’ve answered to “why people shouldn’t save more”. The answer seems to be the same in both cases, but it’s not. So instead of describing the drawbacks of saving money (investing, in your case) you could talk about why people consume more - e.g. consumption is aggressively promoted by the West; the future is more uncertain than ever, so they prefer to spend whatever they’ve earned right away etc. It’s not wrong to do it the way you did, but it’s dangerous, because you might get off the track easily.

And finally, it seems to me you’ve gone too far with your accounting/auditing background))) describing business processes of an organization in detail. When I said write about aspects you’re most familiar with, I didn’t mean provide the examiner consulting services.)))) What you wrote in your last BP (if not to focus on the fact that it doesn’t respond to the question) can be described in 1 sentence - The more businesses invest in processes like purchasing and marketing, the more revenues they will generate. P.s. I liked the example.

Well done with the conclusion.
+1 for this review.

Also two more points on introduction for the OP. There should not be a comma between "not only but also" construct.
Second the "but also ..." part is abrupt. But also increase in needs. What needs? Whose needs?

rajapanesar

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2019
Punjab, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19/09/2019
+1 for this review.

Also two more points on introduction for the OP. There should not be a comma between "not only but also" construct.
Second the "but also ..." part is abrupt. But also increase in needs. What needs? Whose needs?
If one can avoid but on the whole, it is better.
Such a harsh word in a very toned down, formal style of writing style. Informally, can be used easily. Avoid use in IELTS test.

May 3, 2017
Don’t be afraid to spend a couple of minutes doing “nothing” after you’ve read the question. Those few minutes of doing “nothing” might be the most important ones, along with the last few minutes when you check your essay.

Again, after you have read the question:
Step 1 - Think. Make sure you’ve understood the question. Read the question again.
Step 2 - Plan. You need to have a clear understanding of the structure of your future essay, with main ideas, supports and examples.
Step 3 - Write.
Step 4 - Check.
Yes I read your reviews. Actually the more general the topic is, the more it is difficult to narrow down ideas and write. I am working on every point that you said.

@cansha I never knew there is no comma in not only but also type of sentence. In fact, I always use this complex sentence in an essay and did wrong.

Hoping to reach onto the track soon.

Thanks!

marosa

Oct 9, 2018
Armenia
NOC Code......
Yes I read your reviews. Actually the more general the topic is, the more it is difficult to narrow down ideas and write. I am working on every point that you said.

@cansha I never knew there is no comma in not only but also type of sentence. In fact, I always use this complex sentence in an essay and did wrong.

Hoping to reach onto the track soon.

Thanks!
You’re so gonna get 7, just keep practicing. :)