+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Tutor - Ask Me Anything

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hello Jordan,
Thanks for your initiative here, really appreciated!

My IELTS (General Module) is scheduled next month, and I still have few concerns regarding exam setup, marking, score calculation, etc.

1) My main weakness is Listening, and specifically directions and locating things on Map. That is, when we are given a map ,for example, and we have to mark where the place that the speaker talking about is located. I tend to mix a lot between things here, and to be honest with you, I don't even know where shall we start. The map in exercise doesn't provide information on a start point such as a "You are Here" sign, or "Entrance" or just a plain "Start Point", and this is where majority of my struggles come from. Do you have any suggestions of where I can get a good resource on this particular skill?

2) Do we get half mark for giving half answer? For example, when we are supposed to choose TWO letters from a multiple choice question, and the correct answer is "A, C", but then I write for example: "A,D". Do I get 1/2 mark for mentioning a portion of the correct answer?

3) During my listening preparation (tried 4 mock exams so far), I tend to always get a mark of 32 out of 40 or 34 out of 40.. Now that's 7.2 and 7.65 out of 9.0, respectively. This is how I calculated it: (32/40)*9 Not sure if my method is accurate. But, anyhow, my question is, how is 7.2 or 7.65 translated to an overall band for one skill? Can I get "7.2" for Listening or does it get rounded down?

I may come up with few questions soon, but your answers for these above will help me a lot!

Thanks again!
1) I have some resources in the listening section of my website www.passmyielts.com that cover answering map questions. Go to free resources and then the listening section. You might also find this link useful.

2) You will not get half marks for questions however most questions will only offer one mark.

3) There is a useful calculator located here. A score of 32 would result in band score 7. A score of 34 would result in band score 7.5

Good luck :)

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for your help. A couple of questions:

1. An IELTS instructor from IDP said we can use all capitals when answering in listening and reading etc. However, he said if it's a proper noun, the first letter should be extra large so the examiner knows you know it should be a capital letter. Is that correct?

2. For writing task 2, if the question was something like: Children around the world gets lots of homework. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Is this asking for our opinion?

Thanks
1. Check out this guide on when and where to use capital letters. Generally speaking, it is okay to use capital letters throughout your essay even if it is a noun however it is not best practice.

2. The question is definitely asking for your opinion. It is asking whether children getting lots of homework is a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion.

nagtrm

Jul 5, 2017
Hi,

My name is Jordan and I'm an IELTS tutor from the UK who has taught in Canada.

I'm happy to help any students here on the forum with their studies. If you have any questions about:

• The IELTS exam
  • How to book an exam
  • Practice papers
  • ANYTHING related to IELTS
Then please let me know and I'll be happy to help answer all of your questions.

I hope to speak to you all soon :)

Jordan

Hello Jordan,
I am planning to take IELTS General Training in couple of months. I know what are all the sections involved.
But I want to know how the exam will be, is it paper based or computer based ?
If it is paper based, then how the listening section works?
Appreciating your help!

Thanks!

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hello Jordan,
I am planning to take IELTS General Training in couple of months. I know what are all the sections involved.
But I want to know how the exam will be, is it paper based or computer based ?
If it is paper based, then how the listening section works?
Appreciating your help!

Thanks!
The four sections are reading, writing, listening and speaking. You can find more information here: https://www.ielts.org/about-the-test/test-format

The test is paper based, except for the speaking test which is a short interview.
The listening exam involved is a paper exam. At the beginning an examiner will play an audio recording to the exam room and you will answer the questions on the provided answer sheet.

Hope this helps :)

Jordan

Reactions: nagtrm

nagtrm

Jul 5, 2017
The four sections are reading, writing, listening and speaking. You can find more information here: https://www.ielts.org/about-the-test/test-format

The test is paper based, except for the speaking test which is a short interview.
The listening exam involved is a paper exam. At the beginning an examiner will play an audio recording to the exam room and you will answer the questions on the provided answer sheet.

Hope this helps :)

Jordan
Helpful Jordan. Thanks!

Sheetu

Jul 21, 2017
Hi Jordan,

I need some serious help to achieve a high score in ILs. I took the test on 8th July and my overall score is 6.50 which is not that great. Also, reading I've scored 5 which disqualifies me I think for immigration on general module.

I just fail to understand what am I lacking. Pls inbox me your suggestions as I'm completely lost at the moment.

Sheetal.salve17@gmail.com

scorpionrishu

Star Member
Apr 1, 2017
Hey Jordon,

Any tips to score 8 band in listening? my score is considerably dropping in listening by 6.5 in the last test, whereas i achieved 8 band once at my first chance.

Thanking you in anticipation!

GO4PRADEEP

Jul 22, 2017
Hello,

My IELTS Score for 8th July is -Reading-7.5, Listening-7, Writing-6.5,Speaking-6.5.
Would like to know my CLB Points

yeskayk

Star Member
May 4, 2017
DUBAI
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-09-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
12-11-2019
Hi all,

A doubt on IELTS..

In order to get a 8 in Listening and 7 in reading, how many questions should one get right/how many can one make errors in?

1) Listening : ?

2) Reading : ?

Thanks