+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Tutor - Ask Me Anything

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi,

My name is Jordan and I'm an IELTS tutor from the UK who has taught in Canada.

I'm happy to help any students here on the forum with their studies. If you have any questions about:

• The IELTS exam
  • How to book an exam
  • Practice papers
  • ANYTHING related to IELTS
Then please let me know and I'll be happy to help answer all of your questions.

I hope to speak to you all soon :)

Jordan

Reactions: Souvenir81 and Yhnn

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Hi Jordan,

Do you happen to know the fee for the re-evaluation of the results in Canada?
Thanks.

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Hi Jordan,

Do you happen to know the fee for the re-evaluation of the results in Canada?
Thanks.
It is best to inquire with your local test center for the cost of a re-evaluation. It is usually around $100-$120 for this service however it is not always advised.

Some tips are:
  • I don't recommend asking for your reading or listening paper to be re-marked. Reading and listening questions are either right or wrong, so it's unlikely that your scores will change.
  • If there is a 2 band difference between your writing and speaking scores, they are usually double-checked automatically, so a re-mark probably won't help.
  • A re-mark might be worth trying if you only need an extra half band in speaking or writing (e.g. if you have 6.5 and need 7).
  • Remember that it can take up to 8 weeks to get your test re-marked. It might be faster to resit the test.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
It is best to inquire with your local test center for the cost of a re-evaluation. It is usually around $100-$120 for this service however it is not always advised.

Some tips are:
  • I don't recommend asking for your reading or listening paper to be re-marked. Reading and listening questions are either right or wrong, so it's unlikely that your scores will change.
  • If there is a 2 band difference between your writing and speaking scores, they are usually double-checked automatically, so a re-mark probably won't help.
  • A re-mark might be worth trying if you only need an extra half band in speaking or writing (e.g. if you have 6.5 and need 7).
  • Remember that it can take up to 8 weeks to get your test re-marked. It might be faster to resit the test.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
My results: LRWS 8.5, 8.5, 7, 7.

I am thinking about applying for remark on W and S; 7.5 in those would be nice.

Odds for:
In writing I have used many less common words, connectors.
In speaking:
- I am thinking that my test administrators were so much in rush (lots of people).
- I have used idioms, some less common words and connectors.
- The difference in band scores is less than 2, so I guess they haven't rechecked as I got the results right on time (although it seems some people had successful re-evaluation even after their results got withheld).

Odds against:
- I remember I had some mistakes on writing. I didn't have time to recheck my essays.
- I feel like I didn't use all 2 minutes for section 2 of speaking.
- I have soft voice, which causes strain for the listener.
- Usually, I get lower scores on W and S in other tests.

I feel like I have many reasons against and it's going to be a waste of money and time. What do you think? Thanks.

Folashalewa

May 27, 2017
Hi,

I'm happy to help any students here on the forum with their studies. If you have any questions about:

• The IELTS exam
  • How to book an exam
  • Practice papers

Jordan[/QU
Hi,

• The IELTS exam
  • How to book an exam
  • Practice papers

Jordan

Folashalewa

May 27, 2017
Hi jordan, I just want to register for the exam . I need practice questions to prepare please kindly assist.

Thank you

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
My results: LRWS 8.5, 8.5, 7, 7.

I am thinking about applying for remark on W and S; 7.5 in those would be nice.

Odds for:
In writing I have used many less common words, connectors.
In speaking:
- I am thinking that my test administrators were so much in rush (lots of people).
- I have used idioms, some less common words and connectors.
- The difference in band scores is less than 2, so I guess they haven't rechecked as I got the results right on time (although it seems some people had successful re-evaluation even after their results got withheld).

Odds against:
- I remember I had some mistakes on writing. I didn't have time to recheck my essays.
- I feel like I didn't use all 2 minutes for section 2 of speaking.
- I have soft voice, which causes strain for the listener.
- Usually, I get lower scores on W and S in other tests.

I feel like I have many reasons against and it's going to be a waste of money and time. What do you think? Thanks.
It really depends on your personal situation and whether you can afford it. Perhaps try taking a practice exam in these two areas to see what score you get and then use that to make your decision.

Otherwise it may be easier to take the exam again.

marw18

May 26, 2017
Hi Jordan! Do you have any information regarding the academic part of Ielts on the section of Reading on 25/5?

W.Naeem

May 18, 2017
Hi,

I'm preparing for General module test. Will it help if I prepare for reading section from academic module as there are four of them in Cambridge book and only one for General module. Will it help me enhance my reading ability ?

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
I would recommend taking general exams however you will be fine completing academic exercises as they are often more difficult than the general exam.

Just ensure you know what is expected of you in the general exam. If you can get a good grade in academic then you can get a good grade in general!

Any other questions?

FastTrackIELTS

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Are you referring to a delay in when the results are released?

This is usually due to:
  • Quality checks - the British Council may decide at any time to take a sample of tests and have them be re-marked to ensure a high level of quality and consistency is maintained.
  • Cheating (less likely) - they may expect a result is not accurate of a student's ability and may delay releasing the results for further investigation.

Reactions: nc100

nc100

Apr 29, 2017
Are you referring to a delay in when the results are released?

This is usually due to:
  • Quality checks - the British Council may decide at any time to take a sample of tests and have them be re-marked to ensure a high level of quality and consistency is maintained.
  • Cheating (less likely) - they may expect a result is not accurate of a student's ability and may delay releasing the results for further investigation.
Yes,my exam was on 13th may and when I check online it says no result found... So not sure
I wrote a mail to BC and they said that my result is under scrutiny... Tensed now...