+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Results - Original or Homemade scan/copy

mapleheart

Jan 14, 2019
Hello,

My wife and I are applying for a temporary work permit as part of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program.

In this program, we need to apply for the work permit first, and within 90 days to apply for a PR.

Both of us have just one original results page from our IELTS exam and seems like these results are required for both the work permit (a new requirement since May 2019) and PR application.

PR application clearly states on the checklist that IELTS proof should be the original document. However, on the work permit application, the checklist says just "copy".

I am very confused on what the exact definition of "copy" is. I read conflicting information on the web according to which it can be:
1. A simple Xerox or homemade scan printed and added to the application package (as it is a physical application).
2. The original IELTS results page.
3. A certified copy of the results page.

This is the checklist for the work permit:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5653e.pdf

The main confusion for me is that some parts say "photocopy" while the IELTS section says "copy" in bold, making it look like copy and photocopy are not the same things. On the other hand, it doesn't mention "original copy", so perhaps it is in bold in order to make sure people actually DON'T send the originals?....

I am super confused... Does anyone have experience with that? Please help!

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Hello,

My wife and I are applying for a temporary work permit as part of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program.

In this program, we need to apply for the work permit first, and within 90 days to apply for a PR.

Both of us have just one original results page from our IELTS exam and seems like these results are required for both the work permit (a new requirement since May 2019) and PR application.

PR application clearly states on the checklist that IELTS proof should be the original document. However, on the work permit application, the checklist says just "copy".

I am very confused on what the exact definition of "copy" is. I read conflicting information on the web according to which it can be:
1. A simple Xerox or homemade scan printed and added to the application package (as it is a physical application).
2. The original IELTS results page.
3. A certified copy of the results page.

This is the checklist for the work permit:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5653e.pdf

The main confusion for me is that some parts say "photocopy" while the IELTS section says "copy" in bold, making it look like copy and photocopy are not the same things. On the other hand, it doesn't mention "original copy", so perhaps it is in bold in order to make sure people actually DON'T send the originals?....

I am super confused... Does anyone have experience with that? Please help!
okay, so are you making an online application or on paper ? my boss , who is a lawyer that does immigration work some times, would submit scanned copy for online applications and notarized copy for paper applications that doesn't require the original documents .

mapleheart

Jan 14, 2019
Hi,

I am doing the paper application, and I wonder - if a simple scan is good for online application, shouldn't a photocopy be ok?

Isn't it pretty much the same thing?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Submit the original with the PR, and a good quality copy (color, preferably) with the work permit application. If the checklist/guide doesn't specifically ask for a certified/notarized copy, you don't need to do that.