+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS (Many attempts)

Aryan Afghan

Aug 26, 2019
Hello everyone!

If you think you have taken IELTS many times and still you haven't scored CLB 9 and you are frustrated now, then I think you are on the right thread. I have a similar story and am waiting for an end to this journey which hasn't come yet. I have sat for the IELTS test like 6 times now and each time I have been short of 0.5 or 1 band in writing. The interesting part is that just when I learn new things and adopt many new strategies, the result backfires. I had scored 6.5 in writing the very first time I took the test, however after improving my writing and learning many new things, my result worsened, it even decreased to 6 when I was expecting 7 or above.

Guess my new strategy?

I am not giving up and am booking the test for the 7th time. Let's see how far this journey goes. This time I am taking the test with DELHI British Council on September 3rd. If anyone has scored CLB 9 at this venue in the past, please let me know.

Thanks,

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The venue doesn't really matter.

You said you "improved your writing by adopting new strategies" but your score decreased.

How do you know your writing improved? Are you getting feedback from people who are qualified to tell the difference? If you are getting bad advice/feedback, that will hurt you (it appears to have made things worse).

There's a good thread on the IELTS section of this forum. Have you been posting there?

Aryan Afghan

Aug 26, 2019
The venue doesn't really matter.

You said you "improved your writing by adopting new strategies" but your score decreased.

How do you know your writing improved? Are you getting feedback from people who are qualified to tell the difference? If you are getting bad advice/feedback, that will hurt you (it appears to have made things worse).

There's a good thread on the IELTS section of this forum. Have you been posting there?
Well I am saying I improved my writing because I purchased some materials and worked on improving my writing. I learned about thesis statement as well as topic sentences which were areas I didn't have any information about the first time when I scored 6.5.

Aryan Afghan

Aug 26, 2019
Here I copy one of the essays I recently wrote. If someone has any comments, I will be happy to read them.

Completing university education is thought by some to be the best way to get a good job. On the other hand, other people think that getting experience and developing soft skills is more important.

Discuss both sides and give your opinion

Some people believe that having a university degree is the most important factor for getting a good job. However, others consider first-hand experience and soft skills to be more effective. In my opinion, while developing experience and skills are basic things and can be acquired on the job, I believe completing higher studies is a must for getting professional jobs.

Admittedly, prior experience and having basic skills can be handy for performing effectively the duties of any role, according to some. In other words, people that have carried similar tasks and have developed some basic skills can use their experience to fully apply themselves into their new roles. It is believed that these people could use their past experience and can easily tackle the challenges they face in any organization they join. While these could be important for carrying a job, they are primary elements and can easily be learned on the job by proper training and capacity building programs. For this reason, many companies have now been focusing on training their employees on a few of these basic skills, such as communication, presentation, and report writing.

On the other hand, some people think that the key to get a good job, particularly in a professional area, is to have a university degree, and I completely agree. There is a minimum requirement of at least a bachelor’s degree for practising many professions which are seemed to be many people’s dream jobs. Medicines, science and law are example of those perfect occupations that require a technical degree to pursue a successful career in. The growing number of students attending colleges and universities each year willing to pursue higher studies in these technical also justifies the importance of these professional degrees in setting up a good career.

In conclusion, while there are different views, I believe soft skills and prior work experience are basic elements and can easily be acquired on the job through trainings, however, completing a university degree is extremely vital as it is the minimum requirement to work in different professional fields.

haris_rasheed

Jul 13, 2018
i have the same story, appeared for th 4th time in August, now waiting for my result. For a change i tried AEO this time, lets see what happens. By the way i am also a victim of writing module. never scored above 6.5

Aryan Afghan

Aug 26, 2019
i have the same story, appeared for th 4th time in August, now waiting for my result. For a change i tried AEO this time, lets see what happens. By the way i am also a victim of writing module. never scored above 6.5
Good luck with your exam. Hope this time you achieve your target. By the way, where in Pakistan have you been sitting for exams? Also, have you tried Computer based yet?

haris_rasheed

Jul 13, 2018
Good luck with your exam. Hope this time you achieve your target. By the way, where in Pakistan have you been sitting for exams? Also, have you tried Computer based yet?
Earlier i used British Council for 3 times from Lahore. Well, regarding Computer based, im not a computer friendly guy and like things written on a piece of paper :p

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
have you ever tried appealing your score? i tried it once, got an improvement of 0.5 which got me to CLB 9 and incerased the CRS score. Not to forget if there is change in the score, they refund the appeal fees as well.

Its worth it to appeal score if you only need 0.5 either for writing or speaking. Listening and reading obviously there is only 1 correct answer, so no point trying to score extra points there.

haris_rasheed

Jul 13, 2018
have you ever tried appealing your score? i tried it once, got an improvement of 0.5 which got me to CLB 9 and incerased the CRS score. Not to forget if there is change in the score, they refund the appeal fees as well.

Its worth it to appeal score if you only need 0.5 either for writing or speaking. Listening and reading obviously there is only 1 correct answer, so no point trying to score extra points there.
naaaa ive never appealed, but this time i am sure ill get 7 otherwise if its 6.5 i will go into an appeal. Fingers crossed, expecting result tomorrow :)

Aryan Afghan

Aug 26, 2019
naaaa ive never appealed, but this time i am sure ill get 7 otherwise if its 6.5 i will go into an appeal. Fingers crossed, expecting result tomorrow :)
Do share your result here no matter what you score. Also can you tell me what is your Canada CRS score now and with CLB 9 what will it jump to?

haris_rasheed

Jul 13, 2018
Hey hi there, no good news, same thing happened. Booked 7th September slot now. RIght now my score is 395 and if i score CLB 9 my score will jump to 456.

L 7.5
R 8.5
W 6.5
S 8

Sicilian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-Jan-2021
Passport Req..
18-05-2022
I wrote the test for the fourth time on 25 Aug (CDT BC).
Got my results yesterday, LRWS: 8,7.5,6.5,7

In my third attempt, I scored 7 in all modules. Could not pay attention to the recording for some time.

But this time, I did not really respond to the task properly, and I was expecting a 6.5.
Will soon be appearing. Good Luck!

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
hmm, we have alot of people here, went through hell, just like you are right now.
I am one of them.

I started at the bottom of a mountain, then reached at top, to set an example for me and for others, I started this thread.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ielts-writing-for-band-7-or-above.540392/

you can see my journey there, we have lot of essay reviews in this thread, people post new essays on daily basis, my mate @cansha devote serious amount of time to help people.

but, when we ask people to read the thread from start, or other essay reviews, they just don't listen to our honest advice.

and what happens is, 10 random people are making same mistakes as others, they just don't realize that, they all are making same mistakes.

you can start reading from first page.

Reactions: cansha