+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS listening 7.5 vs 8.0 big difference in CRS score!

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
ShahidF said:
Just one more doubt. While my result is under re-checking can I use current score in Express Entry Application?
yes you can.

Lailina

May 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ShahidF said:
Just one more doubt. While my result is under re-checking can I use current score in Express Entry Application?
If you mean the results that you are going to send for recheck, then, I am afraid you cannot use them for EE, as
"6) Usage of TRF during EOR Process

During the period of remarking, candidates’ test results are frozen, and cannot be used to apply for university or sent to an immigration office. "

Gangman123r

Jan 6, 2018
I just took the IELTS and simulated my CRS. I’m confident that I did great (Canada level 10) in Reading, Writing and Speaking. Listening... well, due to my attention issues I’m sure I messed up on a few. I think I’ll get somewhere in the 7.5-8 range in Listening. With 7.5 in Listening, my CRS comes to 405. With 8 in Listening, it goes up all the way to 462. Is this a bug or is it really THAT non-linear at the 7.5-8 range

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just took the IELTS and simulated my CRS. I’m confident that I did great (Canada level 10) in Reading, Writing and Speaking. Listening... well, due to my attention issues I’m sure I messed up on a few. I think I’ll get somewhere in the 7.5-8 range in Listening. With 7.5 in Listening, my CRS comes to 405. With 8 in Listening, it goes up all the way to 462. Is this a bug or is it really THAT non-linear at the 7.5-8 range
Not a bug.

Nellaquantise

Jan 15, 2018
Spain
NOC Code......
Hey guys!
I did the test for the second time, my scores are better this time. Unfortunately when I calculate my CRS, it is lower than the last time!!!
Any idea why this is happening?
My CLB is 8 this time.
Did you take the test a third time? How did it go eventually?

The same just happened to me, just got my IELTS results and I got a 7.5 in listening which gives me a score of 405 and I'll be retaking the test in one month hoping to get an 8 in listening which would get me a score of 449 which means a very likely ITA. I'm super stressed as I keep scoring between 6 and 7 in every on-line IELTS mock up :(

Gangman123r

Jan 6, 2018
I took the test again. Got a 9 overall this time! 8.5 in Speaking and 9 in everything else. Waiting for my transcripts to get verified, then I'll apply to EE!

Reactions: Oyeoye64

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Did you take the test a third time? How did it go eventually?

The same just happened to me, just got my IELTS results and I got a 7.5 in listening which gives me a score of 405 and I'll be retaking the test in one month hoping to get an 8 in listening which would get me a score of 449 which means a very likely ITA. I'm super stressed as I keep scoring between 6 and 7 in every on-line IELTS mock up :(
Don't be downed by that. For listening, practice section by section rather than the whole thing. I found it much easier that way as I could isolate issues I was having. Focus on question types and sections you frequently make mistakes and understand why you made that mistake or why you miss out on that answer.

During practices, I really struggled with Write No More Than Three letters.... type of question because (i) I wouldn't catch all three letters while listening (ii) I would make spelling mistake and (iii) While I am writing these letters, I would miss out next question. Thank Allah, in my test, this type of question didn't come up at all. That's why I am confident of getting high score. I am just waiting my results to be out 17 or 18 of this month.

Nellaquantise

Jan 15, 2018
Spain
NOC Code......
Don't be downed by that. For listening, practice section by section rather than the whole thing. I found it much easier that way as I could isolate issues I was having. Focus on question types and sections you frequently make mistakes and understand why you made that mistake or why you miss out on that answer.

During practices, I really struggled with Write No More Than Three letters.... type of question because (i) I wouldn't catch all three letters while listening (ii) I would make spelling mistake and (iii) While I am writing these letters, I would miss out next question. Thank Allah, in my test, this type of question didn't come up at all. That's why I am confident of getting high score. I am just waiting my results to be out 17 or 18 of this month.
Thanks, I think focusing on the last two sections will help as I always tend to make mistakes in those, I find it really hard focusing on listening while reading and writing at the same time. Maybe I should just stop looking at the questions while I'm listening as this confuses me? I'll try staring at the wall next time. I didn't know certain sections can be skipped, I thought the test always follows the same structure, let's hope for the best!

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Thanks, I think focusing on the last two sections will help as I always tend to make mistakes in those, I find it really hard focusing on listening while reading and writing at the same time.
That's the challenge. I struggled with same issue. The goal is to practice and pray for the best. I found listening the hardest in IELTS simply because of that reason.

Maybe I should just stop looking at the questions while I'm listening as this confuses me? I'll try staring at the wall next time.
You should most definitely not stop looking at the questions. You have to manage the time. After each section, it would give you time to check your answers, don't do that but instead spend your time looking for the next section. That way, you would have two intervals to check that section before its audio is played.
In my test, what I did was as soon as recording started for section 1 (before example is played), I used the time given to actually check on section 4 and just go through quickly the first 5 questions. Then once section 1 example started playing, I switched back to section 1 and checked for key words, for instance first question was to write address, second was mobile number, another post code etc... So, after example was done, I knew what was needed of me in section 1.
Once section 1 was finished and it said to check answers, I went ahead to go through section 2. This gave me two intervals to read section 2. I repeated this process for section 3 and and 4.
With this trick, I found I did less reading and more listening while audios were being played.

Checking answers should be done in the last 10 minutes. I followed this ICSG which stands for Instructions.Capitalisation.Spelling.Grammar (for complete sentences). This is a made thing which I used to remember what to check in the last 10 minutes when you are copying answers to the answer sheet. Does your answer follow the instruction of that question? Does your answer need to be capitalized like names...? Is the spelling correct for the answer? and if it is complete sentence question, does your answer grammatically fit into the sentence?

I didn't know certain sections can be skipped, I thought the test always follows the same structure, let's hope for the best!
I wasn't talking about actual test. Test goes in ascending order S1->S2...->S4. I was talking about your practice tests.

Nellaquantise

Jan 15, 2018
Spain
NOC Code......
That's the challenge. I struggled with same issue. The goal is to practice and pray for the best. I found listening the hardest in IELTS simply because of that reason.

You should most definitely not stop looking at the questions. You have to manage the time. After each section, it would give you time to check your answers, don't do that but instead spend your time looking for the next section. That way, you would have two intervals to check that section before its audio is played.
In my test, what I did was as soon as recording started for section 1 (before example is played), I used the time given to actually check on section 4 and just go through quickly the first 5 questions. Then once section 1 example started playing, I switched back to section 1 and checked for key words, for instance first question was to write address, second was mobile number, another post code etc... So, after example was done, I knew what was needed of me in section 1.
Once section 1 was finished and it said to check answers, I went ahead to go through section 2. This gave me two intervals to read section 2. I repeated this process for section 3 and and 4.
With this trick, I found I did less reading and more listening while audios were being played.

Checking answers should be done in the last 10 minutes. I followed this ICSG which stands for Instructions.Capitalisation.Spelling.Grammar (for complete sentences). This is a made thing which I used to remember what to check in the last 10 minutes when you are copying answers to the answer sheet. Does your answer follow the instruction of that question? Does your answer need to be capitalized like names...? Is the spelling correct for the answer? and if it is complete sentence question, does your answer grammatically fit into the sentence?

I wasn't talking about actual test. Test goes in ascending order S1->S2...->S4. I was talking about your practice tests.
Thanks, really appreciated, I'll keep all of this in mind. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: nns14