+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS listening 7.5 vs 8.0 big difference in CRS score!

snowflake78

Feb 6, 2017
Folks,

Need some input here. I recently took IELTS and my scores are as below: L 7.5, R7.5, W 9.0 and S: 8.5. Overall band is 8.5. When I plug these scores in the CRS tool, I get the score of 370. However, when I increase the score of listening to 8.0 (from 7.5) then CRS score jumps by 50 points to 420! Is this for real or some bug in the system? How can a 0.5 increase could cause such a huge difference? Is this something others experienced here before? Appreciate any advice/inputs.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's because with that .5 you would have CLB 9 in all sections, this is no bug.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp#a1
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/language/charts.asp

Reactions: anupriya.taneja

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Take the IELTS again and max it out. This is the easiest way to increase your CRS score, especially if you're reasonably fluent in English. Your writing and speaking scores are pretty good, you probably just need to concentrate a wee bit more in the listening and reading sections and you'll be done.

Aim for a CLB 10. You're really close.

snowflake78

Feb 6, 2017
Thanks! Yes, I think I need to concentrate more during listening. I had trouble during the conversation part...where those two bastards where going back and forth on the options and I couldn't catch the answers on time. It was bit hard for me to focus on the answers and also listen for questions.

Any tips on how to do better here? What are good sources for practice tests? Is it hard to crack 8.0 on listening? I hope to sustain my performance in other sections. I am not a native speaker, but living in the united states for the last 15 years.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
snowflake78 said:
Thanks! Yes, I think I need to concentrate more during listening. I had trouble during the conversation part...where those two *censored word* where going back and forth on the options and I couldn't catch the answers on time. It was bit hard for me to focus on the answers and also listen for questions.

Any tips on how to do better here? What are good sources for practice tests? Is it hard to crack 8.0 on listening? I hope to sustain my performance in other sections. I am not a native speaker, but living in the united states for the last 15 years.
Use this to get help with practice tests:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ielts-international-english-language-testing-system-b53.0/

Its not that hard to score 8.0 in Listening. You just need to practice the tests more. Spend some time to know the types of questions and how you should approach to answering them while Listening to the audio.

My tip for listening:
During the test, when you get some time to read the questions, read them and underline some important keywords associated with those questions. When you hear those keywords, you will know that you can expect to hear the answers next. Also,you can use the time during which the instructions are being played to read the questions. And also use shorthand to write the answers on the question paper while listening. In this way, you will not get distracted.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Getting a 9 in the reading should be easy for you. Just do a bunch of practice tests online. You could also try doing a few reading comprehension tests from the GMAT/GRE, those are typically more difficult and therefore will make the IELTS seem easy.

For listening, try practicing active listening. There are many Youtube videos that tell you what to do. A good way to practice is to listen to the news on the radio (NPR is the best for this) for 10 minutes, and then try and write a summary of what you heard. Doesn't need to be detailed, bullet points will do. If you do this for a week, you'll find yourself picking out the essentials and discarding the chaff. You'll know which words and phrases to focus on. It's best to listen to a conversation (the interviews in All Things Considered and Morning Edition are good examples), as this is a close parallel to what you hear in the IELTS

You're already at a high level, a couple of weeks of this and you'll easily max it.

snowflake78

Feb 6, 2017
Thanks. My reading was actually 8.5 (it was a typo on my original post). I fell short in listening by 0.5. Thanks for the tips. It is a bummer that I need to take the whole test again. The answer to this question is probably no, but if I submit multiple tests do they take highest score for each section across all tests or highest score from a test across all tests? I.e. If my Writing or speaking scores fall a bit in the next test and listening goes up, can I mix and match sections from tests ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
snowflake78 said:
Thanks. My reading was actually 8.5 (it was a typo on my original post). I fell short in listening by 0.5. Thanks for the tips. It is a bummer that I need to take the whole test again. The answer to this question is probably no, but if I submit multiple tests do they take highest score for each section across all tests or highest score from a test across all tests? I.e. If my Writing or speaking scores fall a bit in the next test and listening goes up, can I mix and match sections from tests ?
No you cannot mix and match.

snowflake78

Feb 6, 2017
When I recall the test this is where I stumbled I think. For questions with multiple options, I was reading through the options to pick the correct one...and then I missed parts of the conversation to answer the next question. I fell bit behind and couldn't recover for one section.

I know I need to practice but, one is essentially doing bit multitasking here trying to read long questions and options and figuring out which is the correct answer. Just wanted to see how IELTS champs here handled this. Thanks for your input and tips.

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Do academic reading have different passage as compared to GT.

How is difficulty level in GT as compared to academic reading.

I am asking this because band score is different based on correct answers in Cam 1-11 I am scoring 7 band with 32 correct answers.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vaibhav.goel85 said:
Do academic reading have different passage as compared to GT.

How is difficulty level in GT as compared to academic reading.

I am asking this because band score is different based on correct answers in Cam 1-11 I am scoring 7 band with 32 correct answers.
GT is easier than academic.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
It's not a bug. Achieving a clb 9 or 10 in all bands is like hitting the CRS jackpot. You need 8 in listening and 7 in he rest. Because of this jackpot, I took the test 5 times. My score jumped from 412 to 472. I entered the pool and 6 days later there was an ITA.

Reactions: vishnu730 and Eli31

puff123

Apr 11, 2017
Hey guys!
I did the test for the second time, my scores are better this time. Unfortunately when I calculate my CRS, it is lower than the last time!!!
Any idea why this is happening?
My CLB is 8 this time.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
puff123 said:
Hey guys!
I did the test for the second time, my scores are better this time. Unfortunately when I calculate my CRS, it is lower than the last time!!!
Any idea why this is happening?
My CLB is 8 this time.
Your scores are lower cos you didn't get a clb 9 and above. Now why you are stuck on clb 8 is a reason best known to you.

puff123

Apr 11, 2017
xpressentry said:
Your scores are lower cos you didn't get a clb 9 and above. Now why you are stuck on clb 8 is a reason best known to you.
My friend with the same score, same degree, 5 years younger than me is getting 440