+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS in Dubai?

baraun

Aug 6, 2019
I did it from IDP at Hudaiba Awards Building. There's not much difference between test centers, I've done it from British Council as well earlier.

Reactions: tahir.faryal

tahir.faryal

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Visa Office......
Dubai
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I did it with British Council and the test centre was World trade center. The overall experience was satisfactory.
I have given IELTS 3 times now at Dubai Academic City(CERT) and my writing is stuck at 6.5 and rest is 8.5 (L/S) and 7.5 ( Reading)
The only issue is the writing where 3 times I landed on 6.5

Changing centers will help in changing examiners?

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
I don't think changing centers matter very much, IELTS examiners and markers are not always assigned to one specific center

Anyway I wrote my IELTS at HCT in Dubai Silicon Oasis, and the experience was satisfactory

tahir.faryal

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Visa Office......
Dubai
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I don't think changing centers matter very much, IELTS examiners and markers are not always assigned to one specific center

Anyway I wrote my IELTS at HCT in Dubai Silicon Oasis, and the experience was satisfactory

Thank you for the quick response NzKhn.

I have also attempted 3 times at HCT Dubai and the maximum I have got is writing 6.5 and 8.5 (L/S) and 7.5 (R). I am confused on how to improve on writing. 4 years back I scored 7.5 in Academic writing. I have done re evaluation for last test but dint increase.
That is why I asked for change in center would help or not

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
From my personal experience in training other for IELTS and writing the IELTS myself, I would say the best way to improve your writing score is to practice practice practice, and especially in a wide variety of subjects.

Usually the topics presented in both Task 1 and Task 2 don't change much, and cover things like employment, education, social media, travel, technology, etc.

There are lots of sample questions and answers online that you can work with, but the main concentration should be on being precise and using the correct tense and grammar. There is no point in learning and using "big words" in either writing task if you don't use them in the correct context.
I have always found it helpful to spend about 5 minutes at the beginning of the task planning out what I want to write. Doing this gives me focus and a concise idea of what to write in each paragraph

tahir.faryal

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Visa Office......
Dubai
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
From my personal experience in training other for IELTS and writing the IELTS myself, I would say the best way to improve your writing score is to practice practice practice, and especially in a wide variety of subjects.

Usually the topics presented in both Task 1 and Task 2 don't change much, and cover things like employment, education, social media, travel, technology, etc.

There are lots of sample questions and answers online that you can work with, but the main concentration should be on being precise and using the correct tense and grammar. There is no point in learning and using "big words" in either writing task if you don't use them in the correct context.
I have always found it helpful to spend about 5 minutes at the beginning of the task planning out what I want to write. Doing this gives me focus and a concise idea of what to write in each paragraph

This is so helpful! Can you please share with me the tips of how/what do you keep in mind while planning to write the task 2? Can you share some links for these tricks.

Thank you

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
Sure!

For writing task 2, the most common types of questions for the essay are agree/disagree, advantage/disadvantage, discuss both views (and give your opinion), problem/solution, and double question.

Your essay structure will usually follow the below pattern:

1. Introduction - paraphrase the question/say what the essay will be about
2. Paragraph 1 - Main idea/opinion, explanation/reason, example, restate the main idea, transition to the next paragraph
3. Paragraph 2 - Main idea, explanation/reason, example, restate the main idea
4. Paragraph 3 (optional) - Main idea, explanation/reason, example, restate the main idea
5. Conclusion - Paraphrase the question, give your opinion/solution, summarise the main ideas presented

Here are some websites you can check:
https://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-2/
https://www.ielts-mentor.com/writing-sample/writing-task-2
https://blog.e2language.com/ielts-writing-topics-essay-questions/

Hope this helps you! :)

tahir.faryal

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Visa Office......
Dubai
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Th
Sure!

For writing task 2, the most common types of questions for the essay are agree/disagree, advantage/disadvantage, discuss both views (and give your opinion), problem/solution, and double question.

Your essay structure will usually follow the below pattern:

1. Introduction - paraphrase the question/say what the essay will be about
2. Paragraph 1 - Main idea/opinion, explanation/reason, example, restate the main idea, transition to the next paragraph
3. Paragraph 2 - Main idea, explanation/reason, example, restate the main idea
4. Paragraph 3 (optional) - Main idea, explanation/reason, example, restate the main idea
5. Conclusion - Paraphrase the question, give your opinion/solution, summarise the main ideas presented

Here are some websites you can check:
https://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-2/
https://www.ielts-mentor.com/writing-sample/writing-task-2
https://blog.e2language.com/ielts-writing-topics-essay-questions/

Hope this helps you! :)

@NzKhn - Thank you very much for this details. I will try all these. Lets hope for the best