Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
18-07-2011
Passport Req..
12-08-11
LANDED..........
30-08-2011
I've been looking online for some more specific guidelines and helpful hints for the IELTS than the basic instructions provide.

I've been wondering about the writing section, however, and I can't seem to find just what I'm looking for. I wonder if anyone who has taken the test or knows the test well can help me.

I'm taking the test in Kitchener, Ontario soon. (I don't know if that makes a difference -- if different places have different formats. This is not the computer version of the IELTS, for example.)

For the writing section, I know that the first essay must be at least 150 words and the second at least 250. There are no other requirements about word length listed on the test. Yet I have read in a couple of places that the IELTS markers may subtract points for an essay that is TOO long. Does anyone know if this is true?

Secondly, I just wonder about the logistics of the exam. You write in pencil, correct? And you write the essay on some sort of answer sheet? Is it possible to erase your mistakes, or erase words/sentences if you want to go back and rephrase them? Or should you simply strike through any changes and write the new word next to or above the old word? Is it best to write in print or cursive?

Thanks in advance for your help.

asad100101

Jun 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'll be marked down only if your eassy is under length. There is no penalty if your length is over the limit. The good rule of thumb is, write around 170 words in your first task and around 300 words in your second task. I stuck to this method and I had sucessfully scored 7 band in writing section thrice.

The more you write, the more errors and spelling mistakes you will make, Im sure you want to avoid this scenario. However, if you can write a good long essay without errors then go for it. There is no penalty.

Answer sheet is given for both tasks and you are given a choice between a pen or a pencil. Always go for pencil because you can erase your mistakes with an eraser.

You'll be given an extra sheet if you are planning to write a 400-500 length essay in your second task.

I was able to fill both pages for my second task with that 300 word range. Same for first task with 170 word length.

It also depends on your hand writing style , whether you handing writing is big or too short.

mine is not too short. it is slightly medium in size.
also, you will have to use pencil only for both reading and listening sections.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
USNick said:
I've been looking online for some more specific guidelines and helpful hints for the IELTS than the basic instructions provide.

I've been wondering about the writing section, however, and I can't seem to find just what I'm looking for. I wonder if anyone who has taken the test or knows the test well can help me.

I'm taking the test in Kitchener, Ontario soon. (I don't know if that makes a difference -- if different places have different formats. This is not the computer version of the IELTS, for example.)

For the writing section, I know that the first essay must be at least 150 words and the second at least 250. There are no other requirements about word length listed on the test. Yet I have read in a couple of places that the IELTS markers may subtract points for an essay that is TOO long. Does anyone know if this is true?

Reading your post, you will have no problem. As a born and bred British citizen, I feel that I am quite knowledgeable about how well people post and their English language ability.

Your post is one of the best I have ever seen fro someone from a non English speaking Country.
Secondly, I just wonder about the logistics of the exam. You write in pencil, correct? And you write the essay on some sort of answer sheet? Is it possible to erase your mistakes, or erase words/sentences if you want to go back and rephrase them? Or should you simply strike through any changes and write the new word next to or above the old word? Is it best to write in print or cursive?

Thanks in advance for your help.