+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS & French certification queries!

Clover4

Aug 9, 2020
Hi All,
I'm new to the application process so apologies in advance if my queries are very basic. Appreciate any guidance.

- is the IELTS a pre-requisite to apply? Or can we submit the application and then complete the exam ? ( I'm 99% sure it's a pre-requisite but just want to clarify )

- I've done French for 3 years while in school ( about 14 years ago ). I am considering doing a refresher course and try my luck at the TEF- but this is atleast 6 months down the line as I would need to prepare. So my question is, can I submit the EE application and update my French test results as and when they're available? Would this increase my CRS once I update the application? Does EE application allow for profile updates?

- same question on ECA as with IELTS above, is ECA a pre-requisite before applying for EE, or can I pursue ECA completion post application? Also, anyone from India with any advise on ECA process for Indian universities?

Thanks a bunch! Getting to learn a lot of good information on this forum and very grateful for that.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Hi All,
I'm new to the application process so apologies in advance if my queries are very basic. Appreciate any guidance.

- is the IELTS a pre-requisite to apply? Or can we submit the application and then complete the exam ? ( I'm 99% sure it's a pre-requisite but just want to clarify )
YES

- I've done French for 3 years while in school ( about 14 years ago ). I am considering doing a refresher course and try my luck at the TEF- but this is atleast 6 months down the line as I would need to prepare. So my question is, can I submit the EE application and update my French test results as and when they're available? Would this increase my CRS once I update the application? Does EE application allow for profile updates?
YES

- same question on ECA as with IELTS above, is ECA a pre-requisite before applying for EE, or can I pursue ECA completion post application? Also, anyone from India with any advise on ECA process for Indian universities?
YES

Thanks a bunch! Getting to learn a lot of good information on this forum and very grateful for that.

Reactions: Clover4

Clover4

Aug 9, 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my queries.

If I may ask one follow up-
If my application for PR is accepted and I complete the process- having added details of my spouse, we both get PR status , right?
Why then do both parties in a spouse apply for PR ? Is it to increase the probability of getting an ITA? And to increase chances by applying individually as the primary applicant?

UniSaverH

Jan 10, 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my queries.

If I may ask one follow up-
If my application for PR is accepted and I complete the process- having added details of my spouse, we both get PR status , right?
Why then do both parties in a spouse apply for PR ? Is it to increase the probability of getting an ITA? And to increase chances by applying individually as the primary applicant?
Yes if you list your spouse as accompanying she will be granted PR , you can add your partner before ITA , after ITA , After AOR or after PPR/COPR albeit each one of the mentioned steps take different amount of time.
Applying together with spouse generally doesn't increase your chances , it is practically the same as applying individually this is due to the grid points putted in place by IRCC to guarantee equality among all applications single and married alike, sometimes a spouse can even decrease the score of his partner albeit it depends.

Clover4

Aug 9, 2020
Yes if you list your spouse as accompanying she will be granted PR , you can add your partner before ITA , after ITA , After AOR or after PPR/COPR albeit each one of the mentioned steps take different amount of time.
Applying together with spouse generally doesn't increase your chances , it is practically the same as applying individually this is due to the grid points putted in place by IRCC to guarantee equality among all applications single and married alike, sometimes a spouse can even decrease the score of his partner albeit it depends.
Thanks but I meant why would for eg. A husband and wife apply separately for PR - 2 applications one by each spouse. Is there any benefit in that?

Is it because you can't decide who should be the primary applicant - and you apply individually so as to increase your chances? Because otherwise it seems unnecessary.

UniSaverH

Jan 10, 2020
Thanks but I meant why would for eg. A husband and wife apply separately for PR - 2 applications one by each spouse. Is there any benefit in that?

Is it because you can't decide who should be the primary applicant - and you apply individually so as to increase your chances? Because otherwise it seems unnecessary.
Oh I got you, you can get in the pool individually with your respective profiles, and if one of you get an ITA , apply together, however it is unnecessary as if you will add spouse after ITA the score will be recalculated and may decrease, if it's the case then you can opt for adding your partner after AOR as your points total will not be recalculated, the same goes for after PPR.

Clover4

Aug 9, 2020
Oh I got you, you can get in the pool individually with your respective profiles, and if one of you get an ITA , apply together, however it is unnecessary as if you will add spouse after ITA the score will be recalculated and may decrease, if it's the case then you can opt for adding your partner after AOR as your points total will not be recalculated, the same goes for after PPR.
Got it. Thank you so much for your time.

From your response there doesn't seem to be any merit in filling two seperate applications.

Maybe unless one party has something that could seriously reduce your points. In which case maybe add details of the spouse only post PPR? Isn't that a loophole though?

UniSaverH

Jan 10, 2020
Got it. Thank you so much for your time.

From your response there doesn't seem to be any merit in filling two seperate applications.

Maybe unless one party has something that could seriously reduce your points. In which case maybe add details of the spouse only post PPR? Isn't that a loophole though?
You can go with two profiles but after ITA you should apply together with one application, and if in case you both get an ITA it would be wasting somebody's else chance as you will have to decline one of the two ITAs and keep just one.

There is many cases where a spouse can decrease the score : lack of educational degrees, poor language scores and so on.

You can add your partner after AOR or PPR, and no it's not a loophole , IRCC are perfectly aware of this , they made the rules, don't worry.

KandT

Apr 28, 2020
Based on the questions asked in the application, I think you would almost have to apply as a couple if both of you are planning to go to Canada.

One of the questions on the application is if you are married, and whether your spouse would be accompanying you.

If you select No, you would have to explain why she isn't coming with you.
If you select Yes, you would have to provide details about her in your application.

UniSaverH

Jan 10, 2020
Based on the questions asked in the application, I think you would almost have to apply as a couple if both of you are planning to go to Canada.

One of the questions on the application is if you are married, and whether your spouse would be accompanying you.

If you select No, you would have to explain why she isn't coming with you.
If you select Yes, you would have to provide details about her in your application.
If you select that your spouse is not accompanying then you don't have to specify why at least from what I know.

Either way you have to enter all your spouse details I think accompanying or not.