+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Computer test

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Does anyone know if an IELTS General Test taken on a COMPUTER is accepted for CA immigration application under express entry? Or do they only accept paper results?

PinkFloyd89

Star Member
Sep 5, 2018
Does anyone know if an IELTS General Test taken on a COMPUTER is accepted for CA immigration application under express entry? Or do they only accept paper results?
CB IELTS is valid like PB, after all its an official exam conducted by IDP.
So don't worry and go ahead with your CBT.
Best of luck...

TouristJuly

Star Member
Jul 25, 2018
Best of luck...
How much did you score in CB Ielts GT.
I am planning to appear soon.
I saw your update that you appeared for the exam on 9th October.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Best of luck...
I am fed up with pencil for the writing. But I don't want to screw up the listening and reading sections if I go through with CBT, what are the differences between CBT and PB in terms of listening and reading?

For listening, it is very important for me to highlight key words, and once I finish that section instead of reviewing it, I move to the next section and utilize the time. Would this be possible with CBT?

For reading section, it is also important for me to highlight keywords. I read the questions first and highlight keywords then I move to the text.

For writing, does CBT have spell check?

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I just completed my CB test today. Overall, if you are comfortable using computers and typing on keyboards, then I would highly recommend taking CB over PB. They also provide sheets, pencil, pen, eraser and a sharpener (most of which you won't need) for rough work. I really liked the CB. I have previously taken the PB for Academic last year, which was a pain right from registration (long waits) to the actual marking on the test paper.
Having said that, the listening test was a little tricky. I am not sure if CB had anything to do with it, though. Last year, I scored really well in academic (L, R, W, S: 9,9,7,8) on PB. So, this time I went in overconfident, but listening test in general this time was much more challenging, so a bit worried about getting low scores.
One thing that annoyed me was that the computer screens, although nice and large, were covered over with filters that restrict viewing angles. So basically someone trying to take a peek from the side cannot see what's on your screen (which is good). But this filter would make the periphery of the screen blurry, whenever I was looking at the center. I was basically looking at the monitor like a lizard with constant side to eye movement to 'unblock' this effect. Maybe that was just my monitor.
You can also adjust text size, color, background color etc. before every test for your eye comfort. And did I mention the small waiting time for results?

Last edited:

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I just completed my CB test today. Overall, if you are comfortable using computers and typing on keyboards, then I would highly recommend taking CB over PB. They also provide sheets, pencil, pen, eraser and a sharpener (most of which you won't need) for rough work. I really liked the CB. I have previously taken the PB for Academic last year, which was a pain right from registration (long waits) to the actual marking on the test paper.
Having said that, the listening test was a little tricky. I am not sure if CB had anything to do with it, though. Last year, I scored really well in academic (L, R, W, S: 9,9,7,8) on PB. So, this time I went in overconfident, but listening test in general this time was much more challenging, so a bit worried about getting low scores.
One thing that annoyed me was that the computer screens, although nice and large, were covered over with filters that restrict viewing angles. So basically someone trying to take a peek from the side cannot see what's on your screen (which is good). But this filter would make the periphery of the screen blurry, whenever I was looking at the center. I was basically looking at the monitor like a lizard with constant side to eye movement to 'unblock' this effect. Maybe that was just my monitor.
You can also adjust text size, color, background color etc. before every test for your eye comfort. And did I mention the small waiting time for results?
So, finally got my results!! Not sure if I should be happy or disappointed. Expected more in speaking but still overall its CLB 9. I need help in interpreting this result

OverAll 8.00 || Listening 8.50 || Writing 7.00 || Reading 9.00 || Speaking 7.50

Overall it seems to be CLB 9, but only because of Writing being 7.0. Does the concept of CLB apply to each individual item separately? i.e did I get CLB 9 in writing but CLB 10 in speaking and listening and CLB11 in reading? or did writing pull my overall score down?

Saurabh.malik

Oct 31, 2018
CLB of 9 means you need to have at least (7,7,7,8 - R,W,S,L) which you already qualify. So your writing score is as good as CLB 9. Depending upon how much you score required to get through an invitation under Express Entry would decide how good or not so good your score is. For me, it is good enough to get you an ITA for Canada subject to other condition being met. Hope it helps.

hensonm

Nov 9, 2018
I will take a computer based exam this December. Is it okay to write my answer on reading and listening exam in all capital letters?

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I will take a computer based exam this December. Is it okay to write my answer on reading and listening exam in all capital letters?
According to my experience, sentence casing is not an issue. It can be normal or capitalized. Personally, I just followed normal casing: i.e. at the beginning of sentences or for names etc. capitalize the first letter, otherwise write normally. This is a non-issue.