+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS band 9 and Canadian immigration process

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
I posted the same thread in the wrong forum (IELTS), so you might see it there too.

I got an overall band 9 in IELTS.
R : 9, L:9, S: 9, W:8

Does this score provide any advantages in terms of securing a Canadian PR faster? I looked at the CRS score and I can see that for writing and speaking, you don't even need to score an 8 to get maximum points. My calculated CRS score is 470 (based on the website), and I cannot get a score higher than that. I read on quora that getting a higher CRS can help you get a Canadian PR faster.

I'm currently in USA and in a predicament where I need to get a Canadian visa asap. Getting that PR will help me manage my work visa situation, without having to resign the company I currently work for. There doesn't seem to be a lot of clear cut information about this online, which is why I'm posting here.

Here are some additional questions I would like answered:

1. Would the actual application processing differentiate scores in a little more detail unlike the CRS score calculator?

2. What is the fastest and average turnaround times for Canadian PR, provided I have all the documentation I need today?

2. Are there any advantages in hiring a lawyer to help with speeding up the application processing? Any other advantages of hiring a lawyer? If you know someone you trust, do let me know too.

3. If yes to question 2, what are the approximate costs associated in doing so?

4. Is there a premium processing option, or some way where I can get a PR quicker? What about getting a job offer from a Canadian company?

Sorry if I'm seeming a little ignorant. I only started working on this a few weeks ago and didn't put enough time to research these things.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. No. There's no further differentiation.

2. On average less than six months after submitting the complete application. However, individual cases vary. Some are very quick (2 months), some are much longer (1 year +). No one can say for sure. IRCC states that their goal is to process 80% of EE cases in less than six months.

3. Hiring a lawyer/consultant is not required. Many people have completed the application process on their own. If you feel the need to hire a lawyer (maybe you have a complex case, maybe you're too busy to understand the process yourself), you can certainly do so. It won't speed up the process, but it can help with submitting a complete application and avoiding any errors.

4. No idea. I did mine on my own.

5. No, there's no premium processing. Express Entry is the same for everyone.

A score of 470 is more than enough to get invited. If you're eligible for EE (did you get 67/100 on the FSW eligibility grid?), you will almost certainly be invited in the next round of invitations after you enter the EE pool.

Best case, you're looking at getting a PR by Sep '19, though of course it may take longer.

In my case, I entered the pool in Dec, got invited in Jan, submitted my complete application in Feb, and was a PR before June. That's pretty damn quick. Just about six months.

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
A score of 470 is more than enough to get invited. If you're eligible for EE (did you get 67/100 on the FSW eligibility grid?), you will almost certainly be invited in the next round of invitations after you enter the EE pool.
First of all thanks for your quick reply. What do you mean by: "If you're eligible for EE (did you get 67/100 on the FSW eligibility grid?)". Can you elaborate a little?

I work in the software industry as a tech lead/architect. I'm 30 years old.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
First of all thanks for your quick reply. What do you mean by: "If you're eligible for EE (did you get 67/100 on the FSW eligibility grid?)". Can you elaborate a little?
Read this -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Before you get CRS points, you have to be eligible for one of three programs (Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trade, Canadian Experience Class). Given that you're working in the US, you're most probably eligible under the FSW class, so I linked that above.

The link I provided has the points grid that will tell you whether you're eligible to apply for Express Entry. When you try and create a profile, the system will ask you these questions and will tell you what program you're eligible for, and if you qualify under FSW, it will let you create an Express Entry profile.

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
Read this -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Before you get CRS points, you have to be eligible for one of three programs (Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trade, Canadian Experience Class). Given that you're working in the US, you're most probably eligible under the FSW class, so I linked that above.

The link I provided has the points grid that will tell you whether you're eligible to apply for Express Entry. When you try and create a profile, the system will ask you these questions and will tell you what program you're eligible for, and if you qualify under FSW, it will let you create an Express Entry profile.
Cool. I haven't created a profile so I didn't know that. However, this process seems very streamlined. I hadn't looked at it until now. I was under the impression that it was similar to US green card/visa process.

So for just creating the profile, all I need right now is the educational assessment criteria. Regarding that, the website says: For example, if you have a Master’s degree, you only need an assessment for that degree. You don’t need one for your Bachelor’s degree.

Is this true? Why did I hear from some friends that they had to get an assessment done for their bachelor's degree even though they had a master's degree in USA, or is that for some other step?

I have a Master's degree.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
It's precisely NOTHING like the US Green Card process. It's much better for highly skilled immigrants. The US has no equivalent.

You only need to assess your highest degree.

I recommend you go to the Express Entry forum and read the guides pinned at the top. Start here -> https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-in-a-nutshell.394158/

Also read through all the info here -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

Spend a few days getting familiar with the process. It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

Once you have wrapped your head around it, come back to the EE forum and ask any specific questions you may have about your own profile.

Reactions: bellaluna

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
It's precisely NOTHING like the US Green Card process. It's much better for highly skilled immigrants. The US has no equivalent.

You only need to assess your highest degree.

I recommend you go to the Express Entry forum and read the guides pinned at the top. Start here -> https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/express-entry-in-a-nutshell.394158/

Also read through all the info here -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

Spend a few days getting familiar with the process. It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

Once you have wrapped your head around it, come back to the EE forum and ask any specific questions you may have about your own profile.
Indeed. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will read the guides and familiarize myself with the process. I'm glad I posted here.

However, can you please flag this thread to your favorites or something, so if I have a unique question which I can't find an answer to in those guides or on the forum, I can reply here on this thread.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Indeed. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will read the guides and familiarize myself with the process. I'm glad I posted here.

However, can you please flag this thread to your favorites or something, so if I have a unique question which I can't find an answer to in those guides or on the forum, I can reply here on this thread.
If you post on the EE forum, you'll get tons of great help within minutes. That's the most active forum on here.

You can always @mention me like so( @basedgod), but I don't think you'll need to!

Reactions: basedgod