+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC(working holiday) to OWP

DEworkstudy

Jul 18, 2017
Hi!

I am a little bit pressured with time left as I only have a couple days left on my current visa - working holiday visa.
My common law partner applied for Study permit and I applied for Open Work permit.

As our current visas expire very soon, do we have to apply for a visitor status in the meantime? Or because we have applied for study permit and open work permit, are we on implied status and can just wait for our new visas to come?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you,
DE

Thom1991

Aug 15, 2016
Hey,

I changed from a WHV to OWP a few months back. You are on implied status so long as you submit your application BEFORE the expiry date of your current WHV. Up to the Visa officer whether he/she accepts the application, usually they prefer you to have 2 weeks left on your current Visa before you apply for a different Visa.

Good Luck!

DEworkstudy

Jul 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply.

So you think there is no need to apply for visitor visa, because I can be in Canada on implied status?

Thom1991

Aug 15, 2016
Yes. As long as you submitted before the expiry of your current visa. Implied Status is implied, there is not official document saying that you are on Implied Status (except maybe your Confirmation of Submission from your OWP)

Thom1991

Aug 15, 2016
I'd also let Service Canada know, and MSP as well. They cut my MSP off without telling me when I switched visa.