+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC - Police Checks for Ireland/Northern Ireland

arlow7

Jan 8, 2020
Belfast
Hi

This is probably quite a specific scenario, but hoping someone has some helpful info.

I am planning on applying for the IEC visa in the next few months. I live in Northern Ireland and have dual citizenship - i.e. I have a British passport and an Irish passport. I am also 33 years old.

I am applying for my Canadian visa with Irish passport. I would not be able to apply with my British passport as the age limit for that is 30 years old. The age limit for applying with Irish passport is 35 years old.

However, the query I have is with police checks. From my research so far, I have seen that applying for Irish police check it seems you need to live in the Republic of Ireland (i.e. not any of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland). Therefore, I would need to get a UK (British) police check carried out, as technically Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

My concern is that I can see this causing some confusion when applying / processing my application - i.e. applying under Ireland quota, but having a UK police check.

Has anyone any experience with this? Or any sort of knowledge on the scenario?

Any sort of information on this is most appreciated.

Thanks

AppleQuartz

Sep 22, 2019
I don't think it matters as anybody with dual nationality can apply for two IEC's and the majority of those would not have spent in both countries throughout their lives. I am also originally from the north and applying for IEC under UK passport, but I've only really lived in the south so I only have Garda Vetting from the republic. I've already participated in the IEC on my Irish passport. I will also be submitting a Letter of Explanation(LOE) to explain my dual citizenship. So if you're invited, submit and LOE, explaining you're a dual citizen and applying through the Irish pool but live in Northern Ireland.

Paidraic

Jan 20, 2020
Hi

This is probably quite a specific scenario, but hoping someone has some helpful info.

I am planning on applying for the IEC visa in the next few months. I live in Northern Ireland and have dual citizenship - i.e. I have a British passport and an Irish passport. I am also 33 years old.

I am applying for my Canadian visa with Irish passport. I would not be able to apply with my British passport as the age limit for that is 30 years old. The age limit for applying with Irish passport is 35 years old.

However, the query I have is with police checks. From my research so far, I have seen that applying for Irish police check it seems you need to live in the Republic of Ireland (i.e. not any of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland). Therefore, I would need to get a UK (British) police check carried out, as technically Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

My concern is that I can see this causing some confusion when applying / processing my application - i.e. applying under Ireland quota, but having a UK police check.

Has anyone any experience with this? Or any sort of knowledge on the scenario?

Any sort of information on this is most appreciated.

Thanks
hey,

I apply in person at your local garda station where you lived in Ireland. If you have a relative living there still they can apply in person for you.. my Dad was able to apply for mine on my behalf.

You can also apply for this by post!

Hope that helps!

arlow7

Jan 8, 2020
Belfast
I don't think it matters as anybody with dual nationality can apply for two IEC's and the majority of those would not have spent in both countries throughout their lives. I am also originally from the north and applying for IEC under UK passport, but I've only really lived in the south so I only have Garda Vetting from the republic. I've already participated in the IEC on my Irish passport. I will also be submitting a Letter of Explanation(LOE) to explain my dual citizenship. So if you're invited, submit and LOE, explaining you're a dual citizen and applying through the Irish pool but live in Northern Ireland.
Cheers for the info. Put my mind at ease somewhat, I'll make a note to write a LOE to submit with my application. However, I'm tempted to contact Canadian Immigration to try and get an official line on the scenario. Good luck with your application.

arlow7

Jan 8, 2020
Belfast
hey,

I apply in person at your local garda station where you lived in Ireland. If you have a relative living there still they can apply in person for you.. my Dad was able to apply for mine on my behalf.

You can also apply for this by post!

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the suggestion but I have never lived in the south....yet. Therefore I don't really have a local garda station to go to.

From what I can tell form reading the garda website on getting criminal records you need to be from one of the southern counties to apply for one.