+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC - OWP - PR (CEC)

geordieinyyc

Sep 19, 2018
Hey guys, i have a couple questions regarding my application and its process.

IEC - Expires April 22nd

PR - Applied October 23rd 2018 (April 23rd 2019 6 month mark)

OWP - Applied January 31st 2019 (Unsure on time frame for approval)

1 - I can keep working after April 22nd (IEC Expiry) in my job because I have an OWP and PR application in process?

2 - I do not have to leave the country on April 22nd to "Close" my IEC Visa?

3 - Going on Vacation before April 22nd wont affect any Implied Status i might have from my OWP or PR application because it is before IEC expires?

4 - If OWP is rejected I have to quit job on that day even though PR is in process?

Thanks in advance and hopefully it doesnt get this far and i'll get something approved before April 22nd, just need a bit of peace of mind.

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Hey guys, i have a couple questions regarding my application and its process.

IEC - Expires April 22nd

PR - Applied October 23rd 2018 (April 23rd 2019 6 month mark)

1 - I can keep working after April 22nd (IEC Expiry) in my job because I have an OWP and PR application in process?

3 - Going on Vacation before April 22nd wont affect any Implied Status i might have from my OWP or PR application because it is before IEC expires?

4 - If OWP is rejected I have to quit job on that day even though PR is in process?

Thanks in advance and hopefully it doesnt get this far and i'll get something approved before April 22nd, just need a bit of peace of mind.
I'm in a very similar situation... waiting for input from seniors.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Good news --- IRCC just issued new guidance that FINALLY clarifies that YES, you can have implied status to continue workiing (as long as you continue to work for the same employer), if you apply for a BOWP before your IEC permit expires.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1476&top=25

No - if your BOWP is approved it is done automatically.

(a) you would have to RETURN before it expires, and (b) even more risky, because in order to be eligibile for the BOWP, you have to be "in Canada."

Yes. Having a PR application in process is not authorization to work.

Reactions: scylla

geordieinyyc

Sep 19, 2018

Thanks for the reply,

1 - perfect, i plan on staying with my current employer (keep things simple til PR or BOWP is approved)

2 - what if BOWP isn't approved before April 22nd?

3 - I would be returning April 19th but I plan on taking all documentation (PR application, OWP application etc) with me on the off chance the border agent is suspicious about my return date and visa situation.

4 - thought as much.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
2 - what if BOWP isn't approved before April 22nd?
Doesn't matter, IRCC knows you applied to change/extend as a worker -

3 - I would be returning April 19th but I plan on taking all documentation (PR application, OWP application etc) with me on the off chance the border agent is suspicious about my return date and visa situation.
Take copies, leave the originals somewhere safe. But unless there is some serious problem with the computer system, you know all those files are linked in IRCC's computer system, and the VO will be able to see all that, right?

donkykong

Jan 9, 2019
I'm in almost exactly the same situation and can confirm that everything was groovy with regards to my OWP application. Just waiting for PR now...

abde05

Nov 1, 2018
hi guys, I would like to know if I could apply for this program I just got my English results 6544 I have experience 18 months in Alberta?
thank you