+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC letter expired before work permit complete! PLEASE HELP!

LaurenM

Sep 22, 2014
I received my IEC conditional letter on the 4th of September which was valid until the 19th of September. I created a GCKey and started my application but had not submitted it due to my Police Check hadn't come through yet. Now My letter has expired and I can't complete my application! I am due in Canada on the 5th of November and now I'm freaking out that I won't be able to get a work permit!
Does anyone know what I should do?
I checked the Canada Immigration website and it looks like all of the working holiday visas are gone!

Can I get a new IEC and work permit before I go?

Surely they cant dismiss my application altogether because I was waiting on a document can they?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should contact the embassy asap. If your conditional letter has expired without you submitting your application - then may be in the process of giving your spot to someone on the waiting list.

AnneN

Oct 5, 2014
Hi LaurenM

I'm experiencing the same issue unfortunately.
Did you manage to receive a response to your query.

Thank you

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
I received my IEC conditional letter on the 4th of September
So this is the letter that you get from kompass in the beginning stages, and having done that you've created your myCIC account via GCkey correct?

Then you've started your application which has an expiration of about 60 days (i think, from memory), which should be plenty of time to get your national police check (takes a few business days)

At this point the conditional IEC letter is a part of your myCIC application, which is now all tied together with all the other stuff like IMM forms and police check etc. So all of this stuff fits into the myCIC application time frame, as i guessed above. Once this is all uploaded and complete then you will receive confirmation via your myCIC account that your application is closed and a final decision has been made. It's usually at this time, once the "Authority to Enter" letter is sent to you from myCIC, that's when you would book flights - not before.

I have been approved in last 4 weeks, and to my knowledge, the limit for visas this year does NOT apply to Australia, but there are limits for other countries. Sometimes when searching some of the information on the Government Canada website you can stumble across info for United Kingdom or other places and get facts mixed up. I am 99% certain there was no limit for Australia in 2014.

They will not remove your application from the order if you have uploaded everything they require within the given timeframes. If you fail to have everything uploaded by the end of the timeframe, you then forfeit your application. In other words, no, they will not remove your application for no good reason

I know this is a late reply but let us know where you're currently at. Getting a work permit is really quite quick, especially if you're not required to get a medical.

AnneN

Oct 5, 2014
Actually according to the site as of mid august. Conditional acceptance letters from kompass are only valid for 14 days.
I've encountered a few people who were not able to submit in time 14days was not long enough for a police check to come through and in some states (vic and qld) you also require a full drivers history check as I have changed my name in the past my police check took longer than usual.
Fortunately I emailed many times to cic and they advised to submit the cic stage even if you have not received the checks.
You need to ensure the conditional acceptance letter is still valid however (within 14days) and in the space where you need to upload the police check. Just upload a PDF of the requested check and cic will request the info at a later stage.
Thankfully I've now been approved after 2 and a half weeks from submitting the extra info requested.

Not too sure on the quota. I do get mismatched information.
I read somewhere there was none but also read elsewhere there is a specific quota for the year and even received an email from a Australian travel agency with a reminder the quota is around 200 remaining.
Confusing

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Ok, so according to the australia.gc.ca site, the conditional letter validity is related to the creation of your myCIC account. It's basically saying you have 2 weeks to open a myCIC account and get started, not 14 days for te entire process. That is way too quick for any immigration body, plus like you said there is a lot to get done in order to complete the myCIC application. For example, if you wish to work in healthcare you then need to get a visa medical which can take some weeks to book in and get done, but anyways, none of this is a worry to you anymore.

Speaking of quota's, here is a link to the australia iec info page which now actually does state quota numbers in small boxes on the right side of the page. Never seen it before, i think it's either new or i'm blind. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx?lang=eng

The whole driving history still baffles me, as i'm in NSW and this is my second work holoday visa from Australia and i've never provided driving history. Crazy QLD and VIC drivers i guess.

Sounds like you have it all sorted. Where are you staying? Or working in canada?

AnneN

Oct 5, 2014
Luckily everything is all sorted on my end.
Just hope others that are/were in a similar boat have resolved their issues.

I myself am not too sure why the driving history is required especially only for qld and vic but this took longer then the police history check itself.

For me I think I planned a little too ahead as I don't plan to go until say July of next year but want to ensure I have the adequate funds if worst case scenario I don't find employment.
The plan is potentially to stay in toronto but am feeling a it mixed with potentially staying in Vancouver. How about yourself?

Are you currently based in nsw or canada?

apapallo

Dec 7, 2014
So just making this clear because I'm in the same boat. Regardless of my Conditonal Acceptance Letter expiry date, once i have created a MyCIC account i have 60 days to submit the application right???

AnneN

Oct 5, 2014
Hi,

Unfortunately no.
Once you receive your conditional acceptance letter you have 14days to complete your submit your cic application for assessment.
If you do not have your federal police check (and if you are from vic or qld a drivers history check) you will need to request these documents and upload the payment receipt (save it in PDF form and write a short explanation that it has been requested) In lieu of completed check.
Once you submit a cic officer will come back to you in a few weeks (or sooner) and request the completed documents.

stiffhewie

Dec 8, 2014
I'm in the same boat here my acceptance letter expired whilst doing my work visa. I have been refused a visa because of this. I keep being told to redo the forms for my iec but when I log into kompass there isnt any option to do so.Please someone help

Yoyo28

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah I didn't get the police report in time and applied for the cic once I did. They refused my application because my iec expired. What can I do now.Do I really need to start again, upload everything and pay again for the iec and cic. What a pain in the a** . Please help or advise if you know the answer

anitacripps

Jul 3, 2015
I have just gone through the ehtire process TWICE (my fault the first time, like everyone on here I submitted my application after my CAL expired so was refused). But get this -

They refused me AGAIN, for the same reason.... but my CAL is still valid!! I still have 3 days left of it, and have already been rejected because it is 'expired'. I checked my application and it is correct - so this is an admin error on their side. So now I am $500 down the drain and have no idea if I should apply AGAIN (another $100) in the 3 days I have left on this CAL; in case they stuff up again. Is it worth the risk????

Clearly someone in their office stuffed up, but after spending 3 hours on the phone trying to find anyone who could help me (most of the time on hold... one woman in particular, Francine (Agent #3434), was one of the rudest people I have ever tried speaking to in my life) I am feeling pretty lost.

Funny thing is I have done the IEC working holiday before, in 2009, and this experience has reminded me how frustrated I got with the Canadian system - it is so convoluted!

Sigh.... why can't anyone help me?

lauren31

Aug 22, 2015
Hi Im currently in this exact position. Im unable to find where to apply for my CAL letter again in my Kompass account. Please help.