+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Help needed!

ElenaVerona

Feb 19, 2018
Hey guys!

I need your advice, I applied for a working holiday permit and was put in the pool in November. I came to Canada in January because I came to see a friend and while here I got an invitation to apply for the WHP, I got denied because I applied from within Canada. Though I have read that others did get a permit from within Canada so I want to get your advice and experience, here are some facts;
  • I am Dutch and have my permanent residence in the NL (I pay rent monthly) - which is a visa exempt country if I understood it right
  • I am enrolled as a full-time student in my home country
  • I have all my papers and fulfil all the demands
My questions:
  1. Would it make sense to ask to be put in the IEC pool again and then fly back to the Netherlands, apply and come back when approved?
  2. Can you get a WHP by flagpoling or is that too risky?
  3. Experiences with this issue?
I know there are some threads about this topic, but I can't find my answer in them. I hope someone has it for me!

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. There is no requirement for those from the Netherlands to be living there when they apply for an IEC. However you do need to provide a Dutch address. Did you provide a Canadian address? If so, I expect this is why you were refused.
2. It's not possible to obtain a WHV by flagpoling.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
  1. Would it make sense to ask to be put in the IEC pool again and then fly back to the Netherlands, apply and come back when approved?
  2. Can you get a WHP by flagpoling or is that too risky?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=nl&cat=wh&#country_category_name

1. You can apply from within Canada (there's no residency requirement for Dutch citizens), but you have to provide a permanent address in the Netherlands at the time you do so. So you can apply from either country if you have a permanent address there to provide.

2. Once your port of entry letter has been issued, if you're still in Canada, you can activate it by flagpoling. You cannot apply for this permit at a port of entry when flagpoling (as you need to go through the random draw and IRCC approval).

ElenaVerona

Feb 19, 2018
@scylla @spousalsponsee Thanks! So I basically got scammed by the Canadian government? this is what they sent me:

Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your Work Permit application and supporting documentation under the International Experience Canada Program, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• It has been determined that you do not currently reside in Netherlands.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla @spousalsponsee Thanks! So I basically got scammed by the Canadian government? this is what they sent me:

Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your Work Permit application and supporting documentation under the International Experience Canada Program, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.
Did you provide a permanent address in the Netherlands in your application? Or did you indicate a Canadian address?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017

No, you've slightly misunderstood.

You have to demonstrate that at the time you apply, you permanently reside in the Netherlands. It's fine to be on vacation in Canada. But if your application (addresses, recent work history, etc) suggested that you currently reside out of the Netherlands, even if you're on visitor status wherever that is, then that's what they're saying you were rejected for.

ElenaVerona

Feb 19, 2018
Did you provide a permanent address in the Netherlands in your application? Or did you indicate a Canadian address?
I gave them my Dutch address, they asked for where I was at that time (Canada) so I gave that address and when they asked for my permanent address I gave my Dutch one. Should I have just put my Dutch one?

ElenaVerona

Feb 19, 2018
No, you've slightly misunderstood.

You have to demonstrate that at the time you apply, you permanently reside in the Netherlands. It's fine to be on vacation in Canada. But if your application (addresses, recent work history, etc) suggested that you currently reside out of the Netherlands, even if you're on visitor status wherever that is, then that's what they're saying you were rejected for.
So if I would've put the proof of my rent there it would've been alright? I tried appealing against it by sending that, but they just regarded it...