+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Health insurance - special case

Lodar

Apr 4, 2016
Hi guys,

I know health insurance requirements for IEC have been discussed a million times.

However, I can't find an answer to my specific case and I would very much like to not spend money on insurance if I don't have to.

As we know, the rules for insurance are:

Your insurance must cover:

medical care,
hospitalization, and
repatriation (returning you to your country in the event of severe illness, injury or death).

Some background information:

I am a Dutch citizen
  • I have been in Canada for 12 months at the end of March 2017 on a Working holiday visa
  • I've been invited for the Young Professional program
  • I will work for the same company I've been working for the last 8 months
  • I have OHIP and have been asked to renew my OHIP card at the end of this month (which I will be able to do when I receive my new visa)

The following is covered by my benefits:
Repatriation
If you die while out of the province where you live. **** will arrange for all necessary government authorizations and for the return of your remains, in a container approved for transportation, to the province where you live. We will pay a maximum of **** per return.

Repatriation benefits
If you die as a direct result of an accident 100km or more from home, we will pay up to *** for the preparation and transportation of the body for burial or cremation. We will pay the usual and reasonable expenses for this service. We will not pay for this service to the extent that it is reimbursed from other sources or covered under another benefit of this plan.
We may pay this benefit to any person who paid for the repatriation or has a claim for repatriation expenses against your estate. As long as this payment is made in good faith, ***** will be fully discharged to the extent of the payment.

Does anyone know if I, after evaluating the previous information, still need to buy additional coverage?
If I have to I will of course, but I don't want to spend 1500 CAD if my OHIP+benefits would suffice.

Thank you guys so much and let me know if additional information is needed!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
But will OHIP repatriate you to the Netherlands ? I think not and that is the point so when you present yourself to flagpole to get the YP permit the same rules apply for IEC, OHIP would not even come into the equation unfortunately. The benefits you list are specific to repatriation to the province and not out of the country.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bs65 said:
But will OHIP repatriate you to the Netherlands ? I think not and that is the point so when you present yourself to flagpole to get the YP permit the same rules apply for IEC, OHIP would not even come into the equation unfortunately. The benefits you list are specific to repatriation to the province and not out of the country.
1. The OP is quoting repatriation of a body, repatriation for IEC insurance is for health reasons as well.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. The OP is quoting repatriation of a body, repatriation for IEC insurance is for health reasons as well.
true in fact reading the OP post again they sort of answered their own question that the benefit they have only any good if they are dead and repatriation to home country due to health as required by IEC not covered.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They actually state somewhere that provincial health care is insufficient for IEC coverage.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ozlis said:
They actually state somewhere that provincial health care is insufficient for IEC coverage.
That is 100 percent true as CBSA specifically look for travel insurance that not only covers emergency treatment but also in the case of medical evacuation or death repatriation to home country. Doubtful whether any CBSA officer looks at the detail in a policy and just sees that someone has a policy in hand for the planned IEC duration but landing without it could result in an IEC refusal or a very limited validity.

Having OHIP as well might be seen as a benefit to the IEC applicant but no real way around having the travel insurance and not really worth the inconvenience if not having it. Latter also has its own complications in getting insurance whilst already travelling but there are a few Canadian companies that sell policies.