+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Canada Visa $2,500 Support Funds Question

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Hello all, so I am an American who has been living in Canada for almost seven months now on a year-long open work permit that I got by applying for the International Experience Canada program. I had applied again a couple months ago and got approved for a second work permit for another year, that I was told I needed to go down to a land crossing at the border and get. (I live only about a 2 hour drive away from the border so it won't be too hard to go and get it.) I have been working fairly steadily since I got into the country with only a couple of month long breaks in between.

When I first came up I had to have $2,500 in support funds in a bank account, which I managed to save up more than enough by working two jobs. Although I am living with a roommate right now, I feel like it will be harder to save up that kind of money by mid March so I can renew my visa. I am wondering if, instead of saving support funds, if a letter of employment would be an appropriate substitute? My current job has told me they'd be willing to keep me on up until my current work visa expires, and then bring me back on once I get my new one.

itraveler

Jan 5, 2017
I was wondering if that is possible to. Please let me know if you have any information about it. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Technically you are supposed to have the funds. But quite it might not be an issue. It will be up to the CBSA officer you speak to at the border. so short answer is that ideally you should have the funds.

Carly44

May 28, 2017
Hello all, so I am an American who has been living in Canada for almost seven months now on a year-long open work permit that I got by applying for the International Experience Canada program. I had applied again a couple months ago and got approved for a second work permit for another year, that I was told I needed to go down to a land crossing at the border and get. (I live only about a 2 hour drive away from the border so it won't be too hard to go and get it.) I have been working fairly steadily since I got into the country with only a couple of month long breaks in between.

When I first came up I had to have $2,500 in support funds in a bank account, which I managed to save up more than enough by working two jobs. Although I am living with a roommate right now, I feel like it will be harder to save up that kind of money by mid March so I can renew my visa. I am wondering if, instead of saving support funds, if a letter of employment would be an appropriate substitute? My current job has told me they'd be willing to keep me on up until my current work visa expires, and then bring me back on once I get my new one.
I did a border run twice to renew my visa & never had to show proof of funds. Just give employer details and if they have any questions they can call. Youre working right?! So youll be fine