+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC & Applying PR and OPW - Visitor visa or Implied Status?

kristiina89

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Hi all. I am confused and getting different information when I am asking it from here or directly from CIC when calling.
Currently I am in Canada under IEC visa and I am going to apply PR and OWP under sponsorship program within Canada. So I suppose I'll get Implied Status because of applying OWP.
But IEC visa seems to make things different. I do not apply extension for it, but I apply new open work permit under pilot program.
The main question is should I still apply extension for staying? They handling my PR & OWP application while my current visa expires and can never know if it does not approved and I am screwed. So in that case it would be best option to have also visitor visa?
Do I tell truth about my purpose to stay in Canada and applying PR, in Visitor visa application? Does it have positive or negative effect to it? Do I need a letter from mt spouse he is going to support me etc?

And do I use form IMM5710 (same as OWP form) and just choose two options in it (Temporary resident permit and An initial work permit)?
Or do I use form IMM5708 Application to Change Conditions?

Thank you.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
it depends when your current work visa expires. if it expires well into the future and there is a chance you'll receive the inland owp before it expires then you don't need to do anything. the OWP application will give you implied status. if it expires soon, then usually it's recommended to apply to extend as a visitor just in case your application gets returned. if your application gets returned and your status expires, then you will not receive implied status and will not be eligible for the owp because of being out of status(unless you qualify to restore your status). so essentially applying to extend as a visitor is the "safe" route if your current visa is expiring soon. it's not essential to extend, again this is just reducing the risk of getting out of status due to your application being returned.

as for the extension application. yes, for sure mention the PR app and provide proof of application submitted and fees paid. that actually helps people get extensions and most times they will give pr applicants longer extensions because they know the process can take a while. and yes, have the sponsor write a letter about intentions to support while waiting for app to process.

kristiina89

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Thank you for your answer. It basically was exactly what I believed I have to do.
My current IEC visa will expire in July, and I am sending PR & OWP in April. So there is time about 3 months which I believe is not enough for getting any answer from CIC concerning application.
Is there any other advice for Application to extend stay? It is a totally new form and thing for me, since I heard about it yesterday.
Is seems to be important to have a date when going back to home country in that application? What if my purpose is to stay in Canada?

CDNPR2014 said:
it depends when your current work visa expires. if it expires well into the future and there is a chance you'll receive the inland owp before it expires then you don't need to do anything. the OWP application will give you implied status. if it expires soon, then usually it's recommended to apply to extend as a visitor just in case your application gets returned. if your application gets returned and your status expires, then you will not receive implied status and will not be eligible for the owp because of being out of status(unless you qualify to restore your status). so essentially applying to extend as a visitor is the "safe" route if your current visa is expiring soon. it's not essential to extend, again this is just reducing the risk of getting out of status due to your application being returned.

as for the extension application. yes, for sure mention the PR app and provide proof of application submitted and fees paid. that actually helps people get extensions and most times they will give pr applicants longer extensions because they know the process can take a while. and yes, have the sponsor write a letter about intentions to support while waiting for app to process.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agreed with CDNPR2014.

you can apply for visitor visa then cancel your application when you receive OWP.

you can write the date of your stay around when you receive your PR (even though you wanna stay in Canada permanently )

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Sorry to drag this thread up again,

I am in a similar situation.

Should I apply for a visitor visa in the same package that I send off with my OWP and PR? I have an eTA,which apparently gets classed as a visitor visa. Am I safe in that case from having to apply for visitor visa, or should I apply for all 3? And if so, should I apply for all 3 in the same package?

Also, should I attach a letter from my partner (sponsor) confirming that they will sponsor me whilst waiting for approval?

Thanks

Last edited: