+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC application for UK citizen.

DurhamBoy

Dec 22, 2012
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right forum for this so please bear with me. I'm a UK citizen looking to come to Canada on an IEC working holiday visa. I'm currently on a university degree which runs until the summer of 2014, so ideally I'd like to head out as soon as possible after that, June or July 2014. My question is, as there is a limited quota for UK citizens, and applications appear to open in the first couple of months of the year, would it be better for me to apply in 2013 or 2014? I understand that once you've been issued the letter of invitation you've got to enter Canada within 12 months, and once you've entered the visa runs from that point. So if I was granted it in February 2013, I'd have to enter by February 2014, and it would only run until February 2015, which would obviously mean I'd end up with less than the full 12 months as I wouldn't be able to come out full time until the summer.

The other alternative is to apply in early 2014, but that seems like awfully short notice, in case I'm not one of the lucky 5,000 and have to change my plans. Anybody got any advice on what the best thing to do would be? Ideally I suppose you'd be coming back to me telling me that it takes 5 months to process applications, in which case I'll whack it in in January and hope to get it back in June, which would be just about perfect, but I doubt I'll be that lucky.

sarahE

Jun 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Oct 2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 21st Oct 2010 2nd AOR June 2011
Hi there,

It usually only takes 8 weeks or so to be issued an IEC visa so you should be fine applying next year. You're right in your understanding that you have 12 months to 'activate' the visa and once you land, have 12 months from your landing date before the visa expires. It sounds like it would be better for you to apply in 2014 to give you the most amount of time possible over there.

There are rumours that the IEC UK visa may be changed to a 2-year visa however you would still need to activate this within 12-months of issuance, which may not be practical for you.

Also, it may be reassuring to know that last year visas didn't run out until May so no need to worry about missing out on a visa if you get your application in within the first few months of the opening date!

Hope this helps!

Sarah