+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC after PGWP expires?

Jumpilot69

Oct 16, 2018
I only got a 18 month PGWP that started in March this year. I did flight training in Victoria, BC and now I'm working as a skydiver pilot in Campbell River, BC since April this year. I have only worked 220 hours, basically I flew 220 hours. I only get paid when I fly. So my work permit expires September 2019 and I can see that even if I got a better job which I'm about to and fly more often, I still wound not be able to reach 1560 hours of work experience by September next year. So I would not be able to apply next year for express entry since I won't have 1 year of full time work experience.

I recently found out that Portugal which is my country of citizenship joined the International Experience Canada program for the 2019 season with applications opening in November 2018.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2018/05/canada-and-portugal-sign-new-youth-mobility-arrangement.html

Even with my PGWP valid until September next year, is it possible for me to open a new IEC profile this year for the 2019 season so if I get invited I can apply for the IEC work permit?

Can I apply for the IEC work permit before my PGWP expires?

Is it possible to receive the new work permit before my PGWP expires so I don't have to stop working?

Can I apply for the IEC work permit from inside Canada?

I'll be probably flying for a regional or charter company in Canada in the next 3 months so I'll be working already when I apply for the new work permit. Should I apply for a working holiday visa or Young Professionals program since I'll have a job already?

If I get the new work permit for let's say 12 months. That should be enough time for me to reach 1560 hours of work experience. Can I apply for express entry after gaining the remaining 1 year of work experience through the International Experience Canada program?

I see that's the only way to be a PR in Canada since LMIA will never work for me. Any airliner can hire a Canadian instead of me, so LMIA is out of the question.

Thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but I see no reason why you could not enter the IEC pool as and when it opens. No guarantee you would get selected as is a random selection so depends how many other Portuguese take up this new program for Portugal but you should enter the pool when it opens and not leave until near time your PGWP expires.

As for WHV versus YP personally I would go for the basic WHV given that is an open work permit whereas the YP program requires a job offer, is tied to a specific employer so a closed permit and you need to show it is key to your development.

Some things to keep in mind such as whether there is a Portugal residency requirement when applying,this is not clearly stated so maybe not .

You need to show travel insurance for the full term of the WHV and funds of 2500 CDN . You will probably need to organise police certificates from Portugal , Canada and any other applicable country . A certificate for Canada maybe covered by IRCC directly but that would be detailed in the documentation.

If you are selected from the pool, you complete all the required documentation and get a POE letter you would usually have up to 12 months to activate the permit which in your case you would either need to flagpole at US/ Canada border or do a trip out and back into Canada.

Most important with either option would be the travel insurance given without that you would not get the permit issued and if not for the full term would only be issued to the term of the insurance. Provincial or employer health insurance would not satisfy this requirement given key element is repatriation to home country in worst case.

Assuming the details in link below does not change then potential is for a 24 month IEC so if successful plenty of time to build the Canadian experience

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=pt&cat=wh&#country_category_name

Last edited: