+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC 2015 Can I wait a month or two after obtaining my Visa before going to Cnda

SomeGeorge

Jan 22, 2015
The IEC happens only once a year, therefore it is a great deal to miss it.

The things I'd like to do before travelling to Canada are:
- Get a driver's license here in the UK
- Complete a six week Management Course which starts at the end of February
- Renew my Passport which I can apply for at the 24th of February and wait for it for up to 8 weeks
Now it wouldn't be a problem, but all these things cost money which would be wasted if it doesn't work the way I hope it does.

I know that it takes a while to process the IEC applications, I'm aware of the fact that I won't receive my entry-allowance after two weeks...
But what if I get all the letters and confirmations and I'm officially up for the IEC 2015 and I don't travel to Canada within a month or two after receiving it, in order to complete the three steps?
Do I have to go as soon as I get it, or it's not a problem if I get it and I don't act on it for a while?

Also if I apply for the IEC with my current passport, but I receive a new one a month later and I would like to travel using the new one?

ashia

Star Member
Jul 27, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2014
AOR Received.
09-01-2015
File Transfer...
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
29-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
SomeGeorge said:
The IEC happens only once a year, therefore it is a great deal to miss it.

The things I'd like to do before travelling to Canada are:
- Get a driver's license here in the UK
- Complete a six week Management Course which starts at the end of February
- Renew my Passport which I can apply for at the 24th of February and wait for it for up to 8 weeks
Now it wouldn't be a problem, but all these things cost money which would be wasted if it doesn't work the way I hope it does.
it takes few months, not few weeks from applying for IEC to approval, so no worries, make your things, you have time ;)

Also if I apply for the IEC with my current passport, but I receive a new one a month later and I would like to travel using the new one?
you give them the scan of your passport, passport number, so you need to have the same document to cross the border. make new passport now, and give them new number

EDIT: not truth, so modifying ;)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=861&t=25

I know that it takes a while to process the IEC applications, I'm aware of the fact that I won't receive my entry-allowance after two weeks...
But what if I get all the letters and confirmations and I'm officially up for the IEC 2015 and I don't travel to Canada within a month or two after receiving it, in order to complete the three steps?
Do I have to go as soon as I get it, or it's not a problem if I get it and I don't act on it for a while?
when IEC is granted, you get I believe one year to actually enter to Canada. this was my time frame, this is I believe still a rule. not sure, however, so just check FAQ on IEC website. this information was there for sure

OddSituation

Dec 9, 2014
...when IEC is granted, you get I believe one year to actually enter to Canada.
You are correct: cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=846&t=15

Only the conditional LOI (for stage 2) expires quickly, POE LOI lasts the full year.