+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Identity Theft

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
Recently moved to Canada and only two days after receipt of the SIN letter someone supposedly from Service Canada phoned telling me there is a complaint and asked to identify me. I checked the number it was one of Service Canada numbers, after giving SIN with postal code and my name I disconnected the call realizing I was being a victim of identity theft. Then they dialed repeatedly with different numbers all of them was Service Canada contact numbers. Phishing attackers may have used VPN to impersonate the origin of the call. I reported the incident to the police and got the reference number. My SIN hasn’t been used yet. Any possibility of replacing the never-used SIN? Your valuable comments /suggestions, please.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Recently moved to Canada and only two days after receipt of the SIN letter someone supposedly from Service Canada phoned telling me there is a complaint and asked to identify me. I checked the number it was one of Service Canada numbers, after giving SIN with postal code and my name I disconnected the call realizing I was being a victim of identity theft. Then they dialed repeatedly with different numbers all of them was Service Canada contact numbers. Phishing attackers may have used VPN to impersonate the origin of the call. I reported the incident to the police and got the reference number. My SIN hasn’t been used yet. Any possibility of replacing the never-used SIN? Your valuable comments /suggestions, please.
You should be calling service Canada and putting a flag on the account or getting a new number. You can give the police ref# but the police can’t do anything. The call was likely from abroad. Scammers may be trying to file CERB applications at the moment.

S&S2020

Sep 15, 2020
Thank you very much for the comments.

Already contacted Service Canada yesterday they can replace the number but only if there is a proof that my SIN was used fraudulently. That is the difficulty.