+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ideal way to get my would-be spouse in Canada

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Hi Guys,

Needed your help in my current scenario.

I am currently on a work permit and have already applied for PR under CEC - expecting AOR this month in January. I am planning to get married in 2 months.

So my plan is as follows :
1) Get my wife on dependent visa (since I am on work permit)
2) Once she gets in, would append her details for PR application while she is here (she would get an open work permit I believe at the time of immigration since dependent spouses can work)
3) Wait till we both get the PR.

Is this the ideal way to do so ? Or is there a better way ?

MONKUCHA

Oct 6, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
ALBERTA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/17/15
Nomination.....
06/19/15
AOR Received.
11/16/15
Med's Request
05/02/16 UPFRONT
Med's Done....
05/02/16
You have to inform cic about your marital status change right after your marriage. They will request additional information (all the forms required for a spouse when applying for pr). in the meantime your wife can apply for OWP as dependent.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
MONKUCHA said:
You have to inform cic about your marital status change right after your marriage. They will request additional information (all the forms required for a spouse when applying for pr). in the meantime your wife can apply for OWP as dependent.
Does my wife need to "apply" for a OWP ? I have always known that if your wife lands here as a dependent, they would inquire if she would like to work as long as she stays here (till the expiry of my closed work permit) and they issue an OWP then and there. And this happened with a friend of mine too !

As far as notifying the CIC goes, can I inform them once she arrives and then apply for her PR ?

IUser

Jan 7, 2015
Hi,

I have applied for PR(CEC) on February 28, 2014. Recieved my AOR on March 20th and then got my BOWP which is expiring on April 8, 2015.

Recently, I have got married and informed CIC about the status change. My question now is, Can I extend my BOWP and apply for spousal open work permit together?

Kindly assist.

Thanks.

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
nhixon said:
Does my wife need to "apply" for a OWP ? I have always known that if your wife lands here as a dependent, they would inquire if she would like to work as long as she stays here (till the expiry of my closed work permit) and they issue an OWP then and there. And this happened with a friend of mine too !

As far as notifying the CIC goes, can I inform them once she arrives and then apply for her PR ?
Can someone please advise on the above, if the information is true or not ?

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
nhixon said:
Can someone please advise on the above, if the information is true or not ?
No Both are different.what do you mean by dependent ?it should be either visit or wp.
if u appled visit visa back home , then at the time of landing they vo gives you the resident permit(visit visa permit) which is valid till end of ur wp permit.BUT he CANNOT give you WP at landing.you have to reapply after entering in online by filling the change conditions form IMM5710.

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
IUser said:
Hi,

I have applied for PR(CEC) on February 28, 2014. Recieved my AOR on March 20th and then got my BOWP which is expiring on April 8, 2015.

Recently, I have got married and informed CIC about the status change. My question now is, Can I extend my BOWP and apply for spousal open work permit together?

Kindly assist.

Thanks.

If your spouse is in Canada , then yes you both can apply at the same time.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
IUser said:
Yes (if she is in Canada - not sure if you can do this if she is outside of Canada).