+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ID for Citizenship application

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
All,

will they accept a valid PR card and health insurance card as valid identification documents for Citizenship application? my passport expired and it will take 3 months to renew - I will submit a copy of my expired passport also.

can anyone with experience advise?

rgds

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
toronto_man said:
All,

will they accept a valid PR card and health insurance card as valid identification documents for Citizenship application? my passport expired and it will take 3 months to renew - I will submit a copy of my expired passport also.

rgds
I called CIC once and agent refused pr card as id

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
toronto_man said:
All,

rgds
You can use your drivers license

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toronto_man said:
All,

rgds
You cannot use your PR card as 1 of the 2 photo IDs required for citizenship application since it is listed as a separate requirement.

If you do not have a DL then you may want to apply for a provincial photo card, which is issued for people who do not have a DL. It may take couple weeks to receive it in mail.

You may apply with a photocopy of expired passport only if it does not mention that you need a valid ID. However, you should not. You should wait and apply with your photo card.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
CanV said:
You cannot use your PR card as 1 of the 2 photo IDs required for citizenship application since it is listed as a separate requirement.

If you do not have a DL then you may want to apply for a provincial photo card, which is issued for people who do not have a DL. It may take couple weeks to receive it in mail.

You may apply with a photocopy of expired passport only if it does not mention that you need a valid ID. However, you should not. You should wait and apply with your photo card.
Are you sure about this? In that case even passport cannot be used as Id.

For eg., what can be used as Id for children then? No pr card, no passport... What is left other than health card?

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
I think expired IDs can't be used as a piece of ID for citizenship but you can confirm it with CIC at 1-888-242-2100
We cant use expired. I already confirmd from cic

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
hi

did CIC specify you can not use expired passport?

I called on Friday and the help desk said i can use expired passport but he sounded not sure -- so did your CIC help desk explictly mentioned expired passport? or was he refering to xpired ID in general terms? (like expired health card? expired driving license? etc)

i applied for ontario card but they told me it takes a month to get - i want to apply as soon as possible before the new bill comes into effect...

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
toronto_man said:
hi

I called on Friday and the help desk said i can use expired passport but he sounded not sure -- so did your CIC help desk explictly mentioned expired passport? or was he refering to xpired ID in general terms? (like expired health card? expired driving license? etc)

i applied for ontario card but they told me it takes a month to get - i want to apply as soon as possible before the new bill comes into effect...
Yes, they told me specifically that expired id isnt accepted.

destination canada

Jun 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2010
Doc's Request.
October 2010
AOR Received.
Nova-Scotia, October 2010
File Transfer...
Full Docs to LVO - January 2011, Second AOR May-2011
Med's Request
Feb.2014
Med's Done....
Feb.2014
Passport Req..
PPR-1 & PPR-2 on June 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
can I use the photocopy of the front face of my health card for citizenship application?

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
hi

You can use expired for the bio page of passports /travel docs but can’t use expired as one of the 2pcs of IDs required. Both are different.