+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ID documents for a minor for Online Oath ceremony (expired Ontario health card)

matthias_wlkp

Jun 28, 2015
I'm in panic mode as I realized that I might have an issue with gathering 2 pieces of ID for one of my kids as Ontario is super slow renewing health cards - I applied in November, went to physical Service Ontario and they told me it was issued 27th January... It might not come in time for the Oath Ceremony on the 23rd February (4-6 weeks waiting time they said). I also got a paper copy with the new 2-letter code. Would that still work? That's the only government issued ID from Canada that I have, so if it's not accepted, I can't use PR card as one (what kind of silly rule is that?? from the oath email: "one of them can be your Permanent resident card, if your second piece of identification is Canadian federal, provincial or territorial issued ID")

https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-support-people#healthcards - Ontario extended validity of health cards for their own purposes, but will IRCC accept it?

My remaining options are:
- Passport
- US Visa (does it count as travel document? oath invite says one can use only 1 travel document)
- apparently Immunization Card - the orange card that the doctor signed on the back when giving vaccines (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html) - this looks odd... did anyone try this
- school records - if immunization card counts, why wouldn't this count?

Am I f*ed?

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I'm in panic mode as I realized that I might have an issue with gathering 2 pieces of ID for one of my kids as Ontario is super slow renewing health cards - I applied in November, went to physical Service Ontario and they told me it was issued 27th January... It might not come in time for the Oath Ceremony on the 23rd February (4-6 weeks waiting time they said). I also got a paper copy with the new 2-letter code. Would that still work? That's the only government issued ID from Canada that I have, so if it's not accepted, I can't use PR card as one (what kind of silly rule is that?? from the oath email: "one of them can be your Permanent resident card, if your second piece of identification is Canadian federal, provincial or territorial issued ID")

https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-support-people#healthcards - Ontario extended validity of health cards for their own purposes, but will IRCC accept it?

My remaining options are:
- Passport
- US Visa (does it count as travel document? oath invite says one can use only 1 travel document)
- apparently Immunization Card - the orange card that the doctor signed on the back when giving vaccines (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html) - this looks odd... did anyone try this
- school records - if immunization card counts, why wouldn't this count?

Am I f*ed?
Are you taking oath with your minor kid or going to be present during the oath ceremony?

Then you dont need any extra documentation or ID cards except your kids PR card for the oath ceremony.

Before the oath ceremony when the agent is assigned to you in a Breakout room he will clearly state that its not mandatory that minors need to take an oath but if they show interest then they can be part of the oath ceremony.

matthias_wlkp

Jun 28, 2015
Child is 9 years old. I know he doesn't have to take the oath, but the invite email included letters to all individual family members that were on the application and each letter included seats for them and the same checklist with requirement for 2 IDs. It looked like they have to be there, even if minors and present ID for some reason. Double check they are in Canada? I don't know... You don't reason with IRCC?

I still have to cut up kid's PR cards for sure.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Child is 9 years old. I know he doesn't have to take the oath, but the invite email included letters to all individual family members that were on the application and each letter included seats for them and the same checklist with requirement for 2 IDs. It looked like they have to be there, even if minors and present ID for some reason. Double check they are in Canada? I don't know... You don't reason with IRCC?

I still have to cut up kid's PR cards for sure.
How about social insurance number (SIN card)?