+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT Workpermit - Express Entry

Senthil76

May 30, 2017
Hi

Kindly help.

Please can you let me know if ICT (Intra Company Transfer) work permit is considered as a valid job offer under Express Entry program and get additional 200 points. If so, if my current employer files/processes ICT work permit for me in the next six months, can I amend the Express Entry application to get the additional points added.

Thanks
Senthil

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
No. You need to have LMIA.

ICT work permit can claim 50 points after working for 1 year in Canada. This is only if employer is ready to give written assurance that you will be employed with the company for 1 more year after getting PR.

Baji81

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
Med's Done....
20-02-2017
Passport Req..
24-03-2017
Hi

Kindly help.

Please can you let me know if ICT (Intra Company Transfer) work permit is considered as a valid job offer under Express Entry program and get additional 200 points. If so, if my current employer files/processes ICT work permit for me in the next six months, can I amend the Express Entry application to get the additional points added.

Thanks
Senthil
Hi Senthil,

On November 19, 2016 CIC made some changes related to employment offer. With this change, now applicant is eligible to obtain 200 points of his NOC class is "00" and rest of the classes will get 50 points. There are some rules defined around this change which are available in the below given CIC site.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

Hope it helps!!

Reactions: Mayuri659

Senthil76

May 30, 2017
Hi Thanks.
My employer is processing my ICT. I am a software development manager. It is in class "00". If my ICT gets through and my employer provides me a written assurance, can I be eligible to obtain the 200 points OR only after completing one year in Canda (in ICT work permit)
Thanks
Senthil

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Hi Thanks.
My employer is processing my ICT. I am a software development manager. It is in class "00". If my ICT gets through and my employer provides me a written assurance, can I be eligible to obtain the 200 points OR only after completing one year in Canda (in ICT work permit)
Thanks
Senthil
A) ICT work permit holders do not qualify for 200 points. That is because ICT work permit does not need labour market impact assessment (LMIA). Only LMIA backed work permits can claim 200 or 50 points (depending on NOC) once the work permit is issued.

B) I believe Software development manager is NOC 0213. It is not a class '00' NOC.

C) ICT work permit holders need to work in Canada for 1 year to be eligible for extra 50 points. Written assurance from employer is also required.

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
A) ICT work permit holders do not qualify for 200 points. That is because ICT work permit does not need labour market impact assessment (LMIA). Only LMIA backed work permits can claim 200 or 50 points (depending on NOC) once the work permit is issued.

B) I believe Software development manager is NOC 0213. It is not a class '00' NOC.

C) ICT work permit holders need to work in Canada for 1 year to be eligible for extra 50 points. Written assurance from employer is also required.
I have a question regarding your point C that says "ICT work permit holders need to work in Canada for 1 year to be eligible for extra 50 points. Written assurance from employer is also required".

Does it have to be in Canada?

In Express Entry profile following question is being asked:

Has ###### been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)

The question does not say that 1 year work has to be done in Canada. What if somebody is working for that employer for more than one year outside Canada. Since the visa is ICT employer is the same before and after coming to Canada.

Below is an excerpt from the CIC Website regarding the validity of Job Offer:
  • if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
It does not say anywhere that it has to be in Canada.

Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

Last edited:

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
I have a question regarding your point C that says "ICT work permit holders need to work in Canada for 1 year to be eligible for extra 50 points. Written assurance from employer is also required".

Does it have to be in Canada?

In Express Entry profile following question is being asked:

Has ###### been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)

The question does not say that 1 year work has to be done in Canada. What if somebody is working for that employer for more than one year outside Canada. Since the visa is ICT employer is the same before and after coming to Canada.

Below is an excerpt from the CIC Website regarding the validity of Job Offer:
  • if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
It does not say anywhere that it has to be in Canada.

Please correct me if I misunderstood something.
The implied meaning is you should be working in Canada since you have a work permit.

You can have it confirmed by an immigration lawyer.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
One more point. Work permit document is different from your visa. Work permit is issued after landing in Canada.

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
The implied meaning is you should be working in Canada since you have a work permit.

You can have it confirmed by an immigration lawyer.
I agree that you should be in Canada and working on the valid work permit for that employer but what I am concerned is about atleast 1 year period of work.

I am working for an employer for last 2 years and now I am being transferred to Canada on a ICT. I will start work in November on ICT. I am planning to apply for express entry as soon as I start work in Canada. Will I be eligible for extra 50 points?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
You will not be able to claim 50 points.

Intra-company transfer means transfer from a foreign company to its related company in Canada. i.e you are being transferred from XYZ Japan to XYZ Canada.

Your work permit is for XYZ Canada and the work done for XYZ Japan is not considered for calculating 1 year.

mayank.dce2k7

Sep 3, 2017
You will not be able to claim 50 points.

Intra-company transfer means transfer from a foreign company to its related company in Canada. i.e you are being transferred from XYZ Japan to XYZ Canada.

Your work permit is for XYZ Canada and the work done for XYZ Japan is not considered for calculating 1 year.
Makes sense. Thank you!

kanada07

Jul 23, 2018
No. You need to have LMIA.

ICT work permit can claim 50 points after working for 1 year in Canada. This is only if employer is ready to give written assurance that you will be employed with the company for 1 more year after getting PR.
Hi,
My company(Indian) applied for my ICT work permit this month and I am still to hear from them. Meanwhile, I was invited to apply(ITA) for Canada PR and I submitted my PR application through Express Entry. However, I have not mentioned anything about my work permit application in that. Does it matter? Can you help me in this matter or do you know someone who has applied for both work permit and PR both?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My company(Indian) applied for my ICT work permit this month and I am still to hear from them. Meanwhile, I was invited to apply(ITA) for Canada PR and I submitted my PR application through Express Entry. However, I have not mentioned anything about my work permit application in that. Does it matter? Can you help me in this matter or do you know someone who has applied for both work permit and PR both?
Doesn't matter - yes, you can do both.

kviswanath48

Sep 5, 2019
Hi All,

Need help, I am trying to understand if all I gain by ICT is 50 points to my CRS score - once I complete one year working in Canada + assurance from my employer for another one year of employment?

Does ICT help with PNP (OINP) at all ?

If my spouse works in Canada on open work permit - will that work experience help in gaining any additional CRS points?

Thanks,
Viswa