+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ICT work permit from US

PrateekAg

Jul 10, 2020
My employer has filed for an ICT work permit application on May 11th, 2020. I have already submitted by biometrics (which I did for a PR application in Feb, 2020).

I have not got a decision on my application yet.

Does anyone know if CIC is processing work permits for non-essential jobs at this time?

rohtak

Star Member
Nov 13, 2016
Currently- processing time shows 12 weeks from US, as per information it seems they started processing from July 1
I will follow your timeline, please keep posted if you get it approved.
My view it should be done in couple of weeks

CADWRKPT

Jul 11, 2020

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
I would have trouble trusting the time estimate, at least my online applied work permit was not issued and I applied February 29th.

I would believe actually that in general if you have the right documentation for a CUSMA/USMCA (previously NAFTA) visa at the border. The treaty text says in Chapter 16 section C part 1, "Each Party shall grant temporary entry and provide confirming documentation..." These treaties have been ratified and I don't think there has been evidence of an ICT visa being denied at a port of entry since this would effectively be a treaty violation unless it was denied due to a normal reason not related to covid. For this reason these visas are still available also to canadian citizens entering the US for similar reasons. However I think Canada can still deny you a flight to Canada so you will be unable to each a border to apply.

They granted me an ICT permit at the land port of entry last week, but maybe it is highly situational. I am a US citizen though and so am covered by the treaty, if you need to provide biometrics then I guess you are probably not.

Last edited:

Messib

Jun 16, 2020
I would have trouble trusting the time estimate, at least my online applied work permit was not issued and I applied February 29th.

I would believe actually that in general if you have the right documentation for a CUSMA/USMCA (previously NAFTA) visa at the border. The treaty text says in Chapter 16 section C part 1, "Each Party shall grant temporary entry and provide confirming documentation..." These treaties have been ratified and I don't think there has been evidence of an ICT visa being denied at a port of entry since this would effectively be a treaty violation unless it was denied due to a normal reason not related to covid. For this reason these visas are still available also to canadian citizens entering the US for similar reasons. However I think Canada can still deny you a flight to Canada so you will be unable to each a border to apply.

They granted me an ICT permit at the land port of entry last week, but maybe it is highly situational. I am a US citizen though and so am covered by the treaty, if you need to provide biometrics then I guess you are probably not.
What POE?

My lawyer wants to file for ICT permit online but if the borders are still approving them at POE I'd much rather just go there.

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
What POE?

My lawyer wants to file for ICT permit online but if the borders are still approving them at POE I'd much rather just go there.
By the way, didn’t you say previously you were studying and had gotten a study visa? I believe ICT visa requires you to be working for the company full time for at least a year. I’m just trying to save you some money from your lawyer and a trip to the border for a visa for which you might not qualify.

Messib

Jun 16, 2020
By the way, didn’t you say previously you were studying and had gotten a study visa? I believe ICT visa requires you to be working for the company full time for at least a year. I’m just trying to save you some money from your lawyer and a trip to the border for a visa for which you might not qualify.
I have been with my company for 5 years, but yes I got a study visa. Sadly my school (UBC) is doing our classes online and after this term we won't be considered essential as we have the option of studying outside the country.

So ICT was my only means, really.